Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Loyalty to the Code, not the Force - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Loyalty to the Code, not the Force

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor created the topic: Loyalty to the Code, not the Force

BY ALETHEA THOMPSON

The actual title for this lecture is...well a bit obscene. I don't use obscene words in text often, but for this one in particular I needed it to have a "punch". So what I'm posting below is a snippet, a bit of a synopsis of the full article to explain a position I recently posted on Jedi Church. If you want to read the full article, you'll have to wait for me to publish my next good (proceeds will be going to a charity of some sort, though which one I'm not sure- probably something for childhood homelessness).

Point One: Sorry, I Don’t Trust ‘Em

I don’t serve the Force. As far as I’m concerned, none of the pantheons have a deity that can be fully trusted. There’s always something in it for them. Even the God of Abraham (a deity I have decided to serve on my own terms) has some shady incidents. Meddling, that’s all they ever seem to do. Where the Norse seem to have less to do with humans, it is perhaps here and in the Native American traditions that we find the better understanding of how I see a Jedi’s relationship to “the Force”. Which takes us to-

Point Two: The Force Is My Ally

For respectable priests/priestess of any belief system, you’ll find that instead of merely following the flow of what their deity asks, they ask the deity to do things for them. They say “hey, I’m going to do this, but it would be nice to have your support.” A mystic class (which is what I’ll refer to it as) recognize that what happens here on earth affects divinity, and that the divine can be a powerful tool to aide them. As long as concerns them, it’s generally taken that they will step in and assist on your terms. At the very least, it gives them something to do. Whether you consider “the Force” to be divine in nature, or just pure energy (like me), it’s a tool available to you anywhere you are.

Point Three: Sorry Not Serving You

So this is what it comes down to- I don’t believe I should be guided by something that is so removed from what really matters in the world around us, and only serves their own interests, should guide me. So what IS a good guide?

Point Four: See that code over there? It’s called the Jedi Code.

The Jedi Code I use (written at the front of this book) is an ethical model for me to rely on if I ever feel like I cannot make a difficult decision. It is something that I can rely on, where I cannot rely on the judgement of something I, as a human, cannot fully trust. While it gives you an idea of what my whole life is about, it also provides me (the Jedi) direction for me when I lack it. The code itself is the only thing that I can trust, because it was built with the greatest intent of building a stronger community through values which were thought up by the logic of many from my own era. Things I can get behind, and I hope that future Jedi will also be able to get behind. The Divine didn’t write it, people that are in the real world and have to live with humanity did. I mean take-

Point Five: If You’re Not Part of It, Officially, How Can You Possibly Make An Informed Decision?

Let me clarify what this means. If you are actively in a (legal) investigation, where you have all the available resources at your disposal, then you absolutely can take a detached stance and judge a situation. Of course, how you respond is completely dependent upon the laws set up for you to respond with. Being in a legal situation requires you to have a very specific format of understanding of the laws for your culture. Which is to say that if you are a lawyer in the United States, you can preside over US affairs, but not over Iraqi affairs (barring very special circumstances). The two cultures are vastly different. So let’s take these two particular cultures and consider- would you want Iraq legislation being imposed on America? Or vice-versa? I would hope that the answer is no. I would also hope that the reasoning behind it is because you as an individual would recognize that the cultures are so different from one another, that by having one impose their legislation over the other, it misses the entirety of the culture’s moral values and imposes the values of yourself on them.

This ties in perfectly, because the divine can be seen in much of the same fashion. They are so far removed from the world, that they may or may not truly know what is actually good for us (let alone the argument that it could just be purely a figment of our imaginations created by old societies that don't even understand the problems we undergo in this day and age) Kind of like another person’s parent disciplining your own over something you don’t see as all that important just seems like a bad idea to you. The Code, however, was written to take into account a specific purpose: building morals and values in an individual to bring the world to greater harmony through the use of Human Action, rather than Divine Action. To us, it the sentience factor which makes our decisions so much more valuable to the human journey. Why else would some of the most valued philosophers and theologies preach free will? Or more importantly, why else would we as human beings value free will if we wanted everything to be left up to a divine being “taking the wheel”?

Just some things to consider next time you want to accept the word of a spirit guide.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16

Zan replied the topic: Loyalty to the Code, not the Force

While I understand and respect the author's view, I found this article very dichotomial-oriented & limited in its perspective.
Loyalty to the Force, and the Code as long as this Code is understood, and not only mentally, but directly felt, sensed, experienced, lived & embraced from within its very own core-roots.
Jedi can fall and codes lost in translation (principles becoming precepts applied automatically without the primordial experience of its core-sense), but
the Force IS.
And reductive dichotomies built on illusions of separation between human, divine, Force, spirits and whatever else will never replace this simple truth.
(at least in my book)

Just some things to consider next time you want to accept the word of a spirit guide who is, like you, an emanation of the Force.
Different sensibilities, yes, but all emerging from (within) the same essentiality.
Mitakuye Oyasin

Song of a Pathless Path
I-AM the EternalStillpoint, Existing Here/Now, Being all ways, UNique, All-Embracing & Pervading
wise & learning creatively, serene yet naturally ardent, crafting the realm of potentialities with optimal efficiency

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Loyalty to the Code, not the Force

From my reading of the article snippet, I come away with a sensible view on how to approach 'working with the Force'.

And, of course, I'll toss out my favorite quote from the original trilogy --

"For my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere! Yes, even between the land and the ship." -- Yoda

Ally -- not an anthropomorphized 'thing' to be blindly worshipped or dictated to or held to believe only certain individuals can 'know' the desires of the Force and therefore can dictate to others how they should follow the Flow.

As you note -- the Force 'is'.
It is part of everything -- the interconnectedness you refer to in your sign off line -- Mitakuye Oyasin.

One may be awed by it's power and general 'cosmic-ness' of the 'thing' and concept -- but do not expect most to kneel down an pray to the Force as a divine entity any more than most would not do so in front of the majesty and mystery of an interesting stone in the ground.

• Thank you received: 127

Setanaoko replied the topic: Loyalty to the Code, not the Force

I expanded greatly on this topic in my book "Setanaoko's School for Jedi: The Uninitiated". The Jedi Code is one that I'm not very fond of, and in my books I use the Heartland Jedi Creed in place of it (inspired by the codes and creed, as well as the Soldier's Creed). I use this in place of the codes and creed because we are not fiction, we are real life people, and both are written for a world that can more readily understand the concepts than people in the real world might.

But there are people that come to find the codes and creed more valuable than I do. They reach the same conclusions I do, but they don't see the need for "reinventing the wheel". I have yet to find anyone that doesn't get the basic concept of the codes and creed to figure out how it's suppose to be used in the real world- not after great contemplation that is. Only one person ever took it literally, and his example served as a good one for what not to do with your life. That individual overcame it, and is doing much better on his path.

Now, that said- let's move on to what I am talking about when I get into deities/spirits/entities/etc. During the events that led up to my being tossed into the community (I did not find it, someone placed me in it, back in 2002, I choose to stay though), I discovered a truth about that "realm", it's full of varying personalities, the gods/spirits/entities and the like are just as varied as humans. Drama is a thing, wars are a thing, peace is a thing, revolution, etc, etc. That "realm" is full of distractions meant to keep people from truly living here. That was when I was a servant to the gods.

Today, I am not a servant. I am an ally that they have to seek out- a "private contractor" so-to-speak. If an entity wants my attention, they must agree on my terms, and not the other way around. The moment they try to take advantage, my aide is stripped from them, because I am here for my fellow man. I could care less about the wants and/or needs of a deity. Only when our goals coalesce, do they have my backing.

To me, "the Force" itself is not an entity. It's energy. The "sentience" behind it are spirits. Some inhabit the corporeal, some are non-corporeal. But none of them are "the Force" itself, they are living within "the Force". Like electrical lines, the information transmitted within them are not the lines themselves, but that's how the information travels within them. The "guidance" we receive is from those spirits. We might make a pact with a particular spirit, or with multiple spirits, and those are the ones we listen more closely too- but for me, I believe that you need to listen to the whole of them and find out what is needed, rather than what individual spirits want. And even then, I only weed out the ones which are human when I take into account my next move.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: Loyalty to the Code, not the Force

Thank you for clarifying Setanaoko. It actually makes a lot more sense to me now.

Kol, what are you talking about ? Nobody’s asking anyone to kneel down and pray to the Force (perceived as some kind of divine entity.)
Nobody’s asking you to kneel down. Period. We are not priests. We ARE the Force. We are emanations of It, conscious individualized and unique Self manifestations/expressions of Its Totality.

Setanaoko, I don’t adhere to your « personal contractor » standpoint.
Based on my direct experience, there is no necessity whatsoever to make pacts with any spirits of any kind.
For me, the key is to acknowledge a simple Truth (yes with a big T because it differs from personal truths) : our innate Unity.
The rest is a basic but fundamental choice of respectful honesty and to preserve the integrity of all participants, not only as individuals (I, you, him/her/it) but as a totality (We are).
Doing this, these spirits, entities, gods will not try to use us anymore because they’ll grok (direct, spontaneous sensing-knowing experience) that we recognize them as they are at their very core level. They as I as us as we are One, as we all are brothers and sisters with unique sensibilities and orientations, WHATEVER paths we’re on.
Acknowledging this fact doesn’t mean we agree with/support all of their choices, discernment is primordial here, but at least it means that we put first what IS.

Furthermore, if anyone or anything is appearing in our holograms (our own assembled manifested « reality ») chances are we are co-creating this experience, meaning we can learn from these opportunities and they can be mutually beneficial.
Even with the « darker » aspects, there’s always something to acknowledge, embrace/understand and better integrate.

In your article, you articulate the difference between us and them, regarding our unique « human » sensibility, but I can feel with certainty, that even prior to those particularities, it is our profound, and again, INNATE unity that we should (always a choice though ^^) be living at first, from within our roots, through our hearts and to the extent of all our interactions.

This is the cornerstone of my (human) life.

Song of a Pathless Path
I-AM the EternalStillpoint, Existing Here/Now, Being all ways, UNique, All-Embracing & Pervading
wise & learning creatively, serene yet naturally ardent, crafting the realm of potentialities with optimal efficiency

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Loyalty to the Code, not the Force

Actually, in certain circles and organizations we have 'the Jedi Church and Jediism,' churches/philosophies founded on the concept that 'the Force is All'. These are legal entities and yet, the structure is set up so that the Force is worshipped, much as the pantheon of Gods from ancient Greece, Rome, or the later Christian deity. Perhaps it is not as blatant as 'kneeling to the Force' and yet, one is expected to attend services, perform the ceremonial rituals of attendance and conduct. I'd say that's pretty close to asking someone to bow to the Force.

"We are the Force."
True enough.

And yet, the Force is not to be boxed in with terms and definitions since all human efforts fall short and diminish the span of what the Force is.

And, making it a substitute for whatever religion one did not care for is not the answer and, again, diminishes the expanse of the Force and what it brings to Life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zan

I agree completely.

It is unrealistic to think or believe we can define the Force once and for all, but in the same time we can add, compare and build open definitions.

The Force being All That Is shouldn't be a "concept", but rather a direct, spontaneous and deeply-rooted cognitive experience.

"Making it a substitute for whaterver religion one did not care for" doesn't diminish the expanse of the Force per se, but the perspective/perception and experience we have of it ;-)

Song of a Pathless Path

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds