Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - How to Put on Jedi Robes - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

How to Put on Jedi Robes

• Thank you received: 3

Brandon created the topic: How to Put on Jedi Robes

Not sure how many of you can help but I just got my custom made jedi tunic and robe and can't seem to figure out how to get it on. For how simple and humble they are supposed to be they seem like a bit pain to get on with the two outer tunic parts having to be tossed over your shoulders and then held in place by the belt. Can anyone here help me simplify the process?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: How to Put on Jedi Robes

The under tunic is just tucked into the pants.

The over tunic -- I thought -- was secured much like a martial arts gi (uniform) -- Wrap your shirt around you like a bathrobe, with the "left" side in front. The right side is only in front when people are buried in their dogi. (( if it's opposite, you were assumed to be a ghost! )) All my old TKD outfits had tiny strings to secure the top in place -- though with rough housing and tugging and pulling it did tend to come undone.

Discussed more at Jedi Council Forums - TheForce.net

The tabard depends.
'Young' Obi Wan's tucked (was secured) under his Obi in the back. Seen sewing tips that have it with a bit of velcro to secure it in place before the Obi got tied around the waist. For the longer ones that hang almost as far down in the back as the front, I thought gravity did it's thing until the Obi was wrapped around to secure it front and back.

Brandon replied the topic: How to Put on Jedi Robes

I have one that goes all the way down my back and I can't seem get it to stay, and it will fall off my shoulder even after putting the obi on, and it doesn't have any velcro or anything to keep it secured. Are there any diagrams I can see?

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: How to Put on Jedi Robes

Try sending a private message to Angelus, as the Chicago Jedi have multiple people with robes of various designs who may be able to assist you.

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: How to Put on Jedi Robes

There's a decent tutorial with diagrams and pictures at Omaha Jedi .

My robes have the same style tabards; they do take some getting used to. Try a little double-sided tape under the tabards at the shoulder when you get them in place, or have someone put some velcro on the outer tunic and tabards.

ETA: I don't wear mine so that they meet below the belt as shown in this picture; there's a narrow gap between them.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Brandon replied the topic: How to Put on Jedi Robes

thanks, I got it on now, but this does help. I do want to get velcro so I don't have to put the tabards on every time, I can just toss it on. One thing I don't like about the one I got is how the tabards are made out of cotton instead of cloth and don't really look right to me. Is there anywhere you've found that I could get cloth to make my own to make it look better?

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Have to remember the movie prop department was constantly tugging and tucking and doing 'quick' sews or double taping, etc. to keep everything looking properly.

As Atticus notes, it might help to have a friend help pin where it might be best to do some 'secret' under the item velcro or tiny ties. That way you can keep the arrangement consistent when it's on and off and on again.

I have seen that tabard 'closed' and open so, it is really up to you on placement in front -- best to see how movement may affect it... though 'free and tucked' in the front might allow for shifting and such better than trying to tack or velcro it down. In back though... a good anchor point would seem smart... as would the shoulders -- that way they don't keep 'falling off' like a bad set of suspender straps.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Materials, etc.

This site has been around a looooooooooooong time but she does great research and notes materials and oft times, available sewing patterns, etc. Once upon a time, even Wal-Mart carried bolts of the coarse woven material but that has long gone. There are some that are close... and some use that and then do 'tea dyeing' to make it the proper color.

The Padawan's Guide

This site is packed full... and if you need more info or more 'tips' check out her resource section. Many of those sites are still running strong too.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds