Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - The problem with minimalism - Page 3 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

The problem with minimalism

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:The problem with minimalism

Hold onto anything vaguely brass or bronze! Steampunk/gaslamp 'creativity' turns those things into money makers. (or supreme cosplay bric-a-brac)!

Better a garage (ground level) than humping stuff crammed into an attic. Why does 'cleaning out' always happen when it's 100 zillion degrees in the attic!?!?!?!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: The problem with minimalism

Brings up some good points. I am definitely on that spectrum somewhere. My dad and paternal grandfather are/were both pack rats, saving things because you might need it in the future. I have overcome that for the most part. I have some stuff squirreld away for when I eventually, finally move out of my parents house. Most of that stuff is useful, stuff I bought years ago when I thought I was on the verge of my own place--towels, knives, etc, and glassware, cat themed kitchen things that were given to me as gifts.

I have a very hard time getting rid of things because of emotional attachment though. I just gave my baby blankets to my Goddaughter...I don't know why we still had them but my mom found them a few years ago and I took them. I had such a hard time giving them up because I used them for playing with my dolls and had such fond memories attached to them. I actually kept one of them for myself because I just couldn't give it up. Giving them to my Goddaughter helps. They are actively being put to use, but are not completely gone from my life.

One trick I learned was taking pictures of things and then getting rid of the things. I used this for getting rid of the childhood art projects my mom had held onto and for this handmade doll thing I had from Girl Scouts. I so didn't want that doll, it was annoying and in the way. I didn't want to get rid of it though because there were so many memories attached to is. So I took a picture which hardly take up any room on my computer, and tossed the doll. It was wonderful!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 93

Athais replied the topic: The problem with minimalism

I have spent the last six months going through stuff and getting rid of it. This is not to get down to 100 items. To me, that is a bit too drastic. What I want to do is make it easier to find something in the stuff that I have. I often am looking and looking, but cannot find something because it is buried in stuff. So I started reading up on minimalism, Buddhism and attachment, and feng shui. I want to get my place to be peaceful, just like I would like my life to be.

These last two weeks, I have been cleaning out the storage and other places around the apartment that is holding books. I have so many books, but limited time to read them. So this is the biggest project that I have worked on. My company has a book sale every year and donates the money to the volunteer organisation at the hospital. There were once 20 boxes of books in the storage unit; but there are now only 7. I also had half of my one closet filled with about 10 boxes of books; but now there are only four. So I have gotten rid of a lot of books.

I have also been pulling out stuff for a yard sale. This is mainly stuff that I have not used in a year. I just am tired of the junk laying around. Someone else may be able to use it. I certainly am not using it.

All this has helped to make me less stressed and more industrious. I now longer am scrounging around looking for things when I need them. I can actually find them right away, because everything has now got a place of its own and I only have to look for it there.

Without all this junk, I spend less time cleaning. I have been working on doing yoga at home and getting 10,000 steps in every day. I am also spending time at the gym and working on my studies. Before, I had trouble doing that because I could not get comfortable knowing that there is all this stuff in my life and I really was burdened by it. Most of my meditation was being used for destressing, but now it is used for other things because I don't feel so stressed anymore.

It really has been a wonderful feeling to not have all the junk around. It is very freeing to let go of things. People have noticed a difference in me and I attribute that to quitting my teaching in the evening and cleaning out my junk. So for me this cleaning and getting rid of stuff has been beneficial. Also, I now hold off on buying something until I am really sure that I really need that item. This is to save money and to keep the junk from coming back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Katie (StormyKat)

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: The problem with minimalism

That would be awesome. lol I can't wait to have some organization. I go little by little and it helps, but not enough yet.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds