Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - The problem with minimalism - Page 2 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

The problem with minimalism

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: The problem with minimalism

Everybody needs a poison.

Some like hamburgers (like me!)
Some like heroine.
Some like to throw out blankets. ;)

Addictions are part of life. And, the idea is that we want to reduce this addictive property because it keeps us from being balanced and flexible. Mindfulness is the answer to this. Lol. Teach your group that is it beneficial to meditate (Shamatha style), and if they do it every day, they'll loosen up over time.

Here's what I've learned: Getting rid of addictions takes TWICE as long as it took for you to become totally dependent. So, it took me a few years to become totally dependent on junk food. So, I expect it to take more than a few to reverse it completely.

I know this doesn't address the topic specifically, but this is the heart of the issue.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: The problem with minimalism

You bring up good points. And points that are relevant to every aspect of life. I am totally addicted to sugar. I have been working for years to overcome my addiction....and it will be many more years before I am past it. But I am working.

everything in moderation. Whether it be junk food, sweets or minimizing your stuff!

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: The problem with minimalism

Indeed. :)

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1905

Jax replied the topic: Re:The problem with minimalism

I think it depends on how honest you are with yourself. I think your logic is fine with the blankets. But if you find you can excuse everything you have while still being cluttered you aren't being honest about why you are holding onto things.

And remember it is easy to find people who want to feel superior about anything. No need to take their judgment on though. Their opinions are all just interesting points of view. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Brian, Katie (StormyKat)

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: The problem with minimalism

Absolutely Jax!

Decluttering and finding reasons to keep things are a very slippery slope. The "I'll need it someday" reaction is so easy to have and so easy to abuse. Our minds are tricky and kinda SITH like in that regards if we let them be!

I have personally come to a place where I get rid of a little bit here and there. Mostly I feel like I am at a point where I would just be getting rid of things to get rid of things, if I purged any more stuff. And I find that just as self-defeating as holding on to stuff.

I certainly wasn't intending to judge the people in the Facebook group. I can see where they are coming from. I imagine many of them (mothers with multiple children) had a whole lot more stuff to declutter than I do. I am happy for them if they are able to free themselves from the shackles of all the stuff we think is essential to modern life. Having said that though, their comments, as helpful as they were meant to be, had me feeling bad. It was like I wasn't doing it right, if I wanted to keep 4 blankets instead of 2. Which is what got me thinking about the article you originally posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

I totally understand. I have much more than I need. Right now the problem is not having time due to the baby. Maybe it will get easier in a year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1951

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:The problem with minimalism

Hardest part of minimalism "for baby" is -- you buy a really cute outfit for them and boom.... 3 weeks later they are grown and it no longer fits. BUT, it's still so darn cute. Some end up with a 'hope chest' full of 'barely worn' cute outfits... and the memories are such that they just can't part with them or hand them on.

The ex's mom got gifts all the time -- linens, china, etc. -- and thought they were 'so nice' that she would wrap them up nice and neat and store them... and never used them because they were 'so nice'. She had A LOT of 'so nice' the ex and her sister had to wade through once their folks passed on. But, their mom was from a different era also... she collect out of the memory of the lean 'early 1900s' AND the Depression era and the World War II era where you made do with less to help the war effort. A whole spectrum of that generation kind of became semi horders of one item or another due to those influences.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1951

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:The problem with minimalism

Hoarding and Empathy
Do you love your stuff too much?

>> Psychology Today Online Article <<
Post published by Gillian Ragsdale Ph.D. on Nov 07, 2012

A recent conference presentation (link is external) suggests that the extreme emotional attachment of a hoarder to their stuff could stem from an excess of empathy — particularly affective empathy as measured by their response to others’ distress. Collecting and saving are normal, useful and evolutionarily adaptive human traits, buffering against hard times and building up trading stock. Children start collecting as soon as they can gather a few rocks and twigs. But you can definitely have too much of this good thing.

Is your home a cluttered nest or a minimalist zen zone? Do you subscribe to William Morris’s golden rule: “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful”? Or do you love your stuff — every useless, ugly bit of it? I confess I have something of the squirrel about me. I wouldn’t call myself a hoarder but I am comfortable with a degree of clutter that might make some people unbalanced.

. . .

Tolin et al compared the brain images of people with OCD, HD and ‘healthy controls’. Hoarders showed increased activity in parts of the brain (the anterior cingulate cortex and insula) when trying to decide whether to keep or discard personal possessions. They suggest this activity relates to attaching emotional significance to things, responding emotionally, and regulating their emotions while making decisions. As if stuff had feelings that could be hurt.

Darn empathy...

Seems the latest DSM (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is the standard classification of mental disorders used by mental health professionals) is being revised to recognize HD (Hoarding Disorder) as a 'kissing cousin' to OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). What was once seen as a 'quirk' is now a legitimate condition.

There are about four more paragraghs from the article (linked at the start)... and a 'fun' cartoon at the end.

This also made me wonder -- do some collect 'things' they put empathic / emotional links to because it's easier / safer than having to make 'real' links / relationships with real, live people?

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Very valid questions...

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 258

Memnoich replied the topic: Re:The problem with minimalism

Hmm, I'll admit I am probably a candidate for semi-hoardishness. While I don't think I'm a hoarder, I do have trouble getting rid of stuff, as I look at it and it comes down to the idea "I'll use it later". I haven't made beer/wine since 2006, but I still have the equipment, because I intend to get back into it, I just don't have the time right now, and I don't want to get rid of the equipment because it was expensive. Now to add to the Irony, my co-workers dad is getting rid of his beer making stuff and wanted to know if I wanted it.....
:ponder

This actually all comes into play for me because today I just accepted delivery of our new shed. The idea behind the shed will be to move stuff out of our garage to clean it out to start building shelves, a wall, and rearrange our garage. While we are doing this, we will be going through all the stuff and sorting for Yard Sale/Craigslist, Goodwill, save, take to the dump. This will be fun, as a long with my stuff, we have an ex-girlfriends from6 years back, my ex-roommate that passed away, his passed brothers stuff, all of this crammed into a 2 car garage. so starting this weekend, I am doing a "Purge" as it were. The next couple weekends are going to be "Fun"
:stars

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds