How do you stay motivated?

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1887

Jax replied the topic: Re: How do you stay motivated?

And do you then translate that into being a Jedi also?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Demetrius Vorak replied the topic: Re: How do you stay motivated?

"In the Jedi path, a lot of people come and go.  Yet there are those who stay for many years.  So I'm curious, what motivates you to walk this path?  What keeps you training?  And what brings you back after a break in training??"

hhhmm, I would like to add a different perspective here. from someone who has been "offline for a while". Life. you live, you learn. sometimes you need to take your own bumps to learn something new. that can only be done by getting out there, not sitting behind pc, nor standing by and "thinking about it.."  so I wouldnt call it "training" but learning..  as for the breaks.. is there really a break if you always continued to hold it in yourself?  Time? breaks? bah! we have this life time, and the next.. and next. and next.. hehe you get my point.

-Demetrius Vorak

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1887

Jax replied the topic: Re: How do you stay motivated?

It's true, some people continue walking the path exclusively offline for a time.  But I think there are also many who completely abandon it for years before finding it again.  They may be walking it in one sense, and are learning and growing throughout, but they aren't consciously walking the path.  I would argue that, if you aren't consciously walking the path, you aren't really on it.  The path only becomes the Jedi path when you call it that.  Otherwise it's something else.

So no, I don't think it's a break if you hold the path inside.  It's crucial to be living the path offline.  After all, that's the only place it really exists.  This question still holds then.  How do you motivate yourself to meditate for instance?  To step away from the computer and practice something, rather than talking about practicing something online?

Mon-Loma-Ka replied the topic: Re: How do you stay motivated?

Greetings! I have found that reminding myself of the outcome of continuing my Jedi education and envisioning myself being able to control my emotions and being able to use what abilities with the force that I have is comforting. I think it would be a good idea to use your imagination to envision myself doing things for the greater dood is a good way to stay on track while studying. I find that if I let my mind wander for intervals between study session helpes me to clear my mind of all the negative thoughts and replace them with thoughts of myself as a Jedi knight helping people who are in need of help. But... You dont want to find yourself delving too far into the thoughts of fancifulness. Even if you can use the force does not mean that you are even remotely invinceable. When I first started my Jedi treining I thought it would be easy to train and study, I started to have negative thoughts and I thought of discontinuing my Jedi training and just giving up. I am glad that I decided to persevire. When ever I think that my training will never pay off I look to the stars for comfort(along with the thought of me becoming a Jedi knight)LOL... Try what I have decribed along with persivirance, possitive thinking and try to have some fun while your at it.

MTFBWY!

• Chris-Tien Jinn
  • Not all who wander are lost.
  • Thank you received: 2

Chris-Tien Jinn replied the topic: Re: How do you stay motivated?

Two or three answers to this one for me

1) I keep training/learning/practicing because - when I don't - I start deviating from being in alignment with my sense of who I am.  For instance, if I skip too many days meditating, I start losing my calm and objectivity, start getting tied up with status, etc.

2) my belief system.  I still don't have any better label for my philosophy/religion than "Jedi" - hence, I do stay in touch with others of similar mind set.  I don't honestly see any difference between using these boards to stay in touch with you than I my practice of staying in touch with other game researchers using collaborative and social networking tools.  No lie, on Facebook, I'm a member of groups that intersect MIT and Harvard.  I see these people about as often as I see another Jedi - which accounts for my continued refusal to count online interaction as less "real" than face to face communication.  Its how my profession stays in touch around the world.

3) my students.  I have no one formally under training, but I still keep in touch with some graduates.  They remind me of our shared ideals, which often gets me off the chair and onto the running trail. 

We are better than we know. If we can be made to see it, then for the rest of our lives we'll be unwilling to settle for less.

• Jon Barris
  • Carpe Diem!

Jon Barris replied the topic: Re: How do you stay motivated?

What keeps me going I would initially describe as a restlessness. A kind of empty feeling. Things are not quite right as they are. Then I would label it with a sense of vocation, a response to a calling. A response to the restlessness. Yes I am here, I want to respond with everything I am. Things have to change. When I did let go, this experience followed me like a shadow. To return was an experience, a confirmation, this is right thing. Life is rolling on and I don`t want to come to the end of it thinking, what a waste of time.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds