Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Jedi Realism and Online Posting

Jedi Realism and Online Posting 4 years 3 months ago #32820

• Beral Khan
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 68
I posted this in my journal, but I have a feeling Jax would like for it to find a home outside of it, so I am also posting it here.

Due to my mania in which I am currently residing, sleep has not been easily found. This is all a part of how I must interact with the world and I wouldn't want it any other way, no matter the highs and lows, as it makes me who I am.

Very early this morning, while trying to find slumber, I was pondering a young friend of mine who is also mentally ill and untamed. His random and often crude or insulting posts on Facebook have made me sad for him. It also made me realize that, as a Jedi Realist, there might be some guidelines to posting publicly. And a set of guidelines came to me: The Jedi Code. The good news is, we can offer these to non Jedi Realists and it still can be effective.

Here is what I mean:

There is no emotion, there is peace.
Do not post when emotional. It may also cause you to post things you will likely later regret at some time. Posting when emotional will encourage those who may wish you ill, and will turn off those who support you.
Take the time to center and become peaceful about a situation prior to posting. If it is something you still wish to share, you will find people more encouraged to HELP you with the problem rather than ignore you.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
Posting publicly about things others post, or just re-posting, without verification is far too easy to do. It can and often does cause you to have to retract, defend and apologize for posting misinformation. DOUBLE CHECK all things when you feel their goal is to be shared.
This would be especially important when posting something for the greater good, i.e.: A missing child, product issue warning, poor handling of community responsibility by a corporation. It could be that this information was at one time correct, but has changed or that it was passed along unknowingly that it was never correct.
Take the time to check sources. Wanting to be a helpful netizen in important, especially as a Jedi Realist. When you post out of knowledge or out of ignorance, you are building your online credibility in one direction or another.

There is no passion, there is serenity.
We all wish to share ideas and thoughts that are important to us. Things we are passionate about will take the forefront of our posts. What we often see is that posts made in the throws of passion more often tell others where they are wrong rather than how we are right. The key I would use is this: the more outraged something makes you, the more research you should do before posting it. I say this because more people post out of righteous indignation than thought out goals.

Posting through serenity allows you to know that when someone questions your post, you will not have a knee-jerk reaction to them and thus possibly showing a side of ourselves we'd rather not. Taking the time to post though serenity will allow you a flexibility to discuss your passion without being rude to others and their opinions.

(There is no chaos, there is harmony.)
This is an added line to the original code, but one used by many and applicable in this instance. Posting random chaos things is fun. Sometimes there is little harm done. Other times, posting chaotic things - posts that incite others into being defensive - is like beating a bee hive.
This isn't to say one should not post thought provoking posts. The trick is to learn how to tell the difference between opening an honest discussion and throwing fuel onto a fire. Open ended questions are good in reaching ones goal in this instance.

There is no death, there is the Force.
Discussing loss of any kind on the internet is an arduous path. When that loss is a loved one or friend, it is difficult to care what others think when posting in our grief. Loss of things can make us want to rant and rave and be bitter. These are all very valid feelings and I would never say they should be in anyway lessened.
When posting in public about these things, we still have a responsibility. It is in that responsibility a person can find the Force. For Jedi Realist, we recognize that all things are a part of the Force and it is never ending. For those who are religious, they may see a deity in such light. For the less religious, they may be a part of a Community - online, or otherwise.

Where ever one finds them selves as an organism that is a part of a whole larger than themselves, one finds the filter that allows them to understand the context of loss in the bigger picture. Sharing loss through that filter will not only allow for personal growth, but communal growth as well.

These are some thoughts I quickly wanted to write out. They could probably be more defined, but this is what I have. :)
I used to trust my force of Will.
Now I trust in the will of the Force.

Jedi Communication? Well its removing assumptions, questioning the absolutes, and asking for clarity of statements.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax, Hunter, Isen SoRac III

Jedi Realism and Online Posting 4 years 3 months ago #32821

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1700
Thank you Beral, this is very good to remember. I've pinned the post to ensure it is easily seen by everyone. It'd be a good idea to post this on the social networks too. :-)

Jedi Realism and Online Posting 4 years 3 months ago #32823

• Beral Khan
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 68
Should anyone else wish to post this on social media sites, i am happy to give permission to do so. I am not all that active in Jedi Social media sites, myself.

In truth, outside of this group, my opinion of how others will take this are less than hopeful. Not that I do not think some may benefit. I merely do not wish to begin the dialog this may open with others outside the IJRS who 'know better.' :)
I used to trust my force of Will.
Now I trust in the will of the Force.

Jedi Communication? Well its removing assumptions, questioning the absolutes, and asking for clarity of statements.

Jedi Realism and Online Posting 4 years 3 months ago #32824

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1700
I'm not worried about sharing it with other sites. If people from there want to borrow it, they can ask you, or just post it. Or share it on facebook/g+. You never know, maybe it will reach more than you expect!

I've got them posted on our profiles.
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds