Jedi Council

• Thank you received: 46

Streen created the topic: Jedi Council

I have no doubt that this topic has been discussed to death, but I'd like to bring it up again because I was checking out the Jedi Online website (jedionline.org) and noticed they had a poll about whether or not people thought there should be a Jedi Council.

I was surprised to see that the vast majority said Yes.  So it occured to me that, since Jedi Online was successful with getting people together for the Jedi definition poll, why not this?  Since Xhaiden comes by here I figured this would be a good place to bring it up.

So essentially I'd just like to hear everyone's thoughts on the possibility of a Council, the pros and cons, the who, what, where, when, and why, etc.  I can see some possible benefits to having one, and some likely obstacles to get over if such a thing were to be set up. 

Anyway, I'll add my personal thoughts later.

"When you’re deluded, every statement is an ulcer; when you’re enlightened, every word is wisdom."
— Zhiqu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 14

Xhaiden replied the topic: Re: Jedi Council

Yeah, part of me has been very surprised by the results and a part of me is not surprised at all..lol. Same with the poll on Ranks...but I'll leave that alone as this is on the council one :)

The pros would be organization and structure (which so many seem to want and why I think many don't stay, at least one reason why). In a nutshell at least, but I see those as being the two overall pros for a council.

The problems would be with how many people have done this before and what has happened, people would fight it or just not pay attention. Not saying that is what would happen, but something to keep in mind. People blaming others for power trips. I've lost count on how many times I personally have been blamed for trying to take over the entire community because of the number of sites I host. People always try and assume someone is doing something with the worst of intentions or has some hidden agenda in mind and that is going to be a big hurdle. Though the voices against it all will be not many, however, they will be vocal.

I'm hot and tired so my mind is drawing a blank on any more to add..lol. I see a lot of potential with a council being done and I see much that could be done if you have the right people working on it. I have a Powwow forum at Jedi Online if you didn't happen to see it, we are mainly discussing an Online Safety Agreement and a Terms of Usage Agreement that sites would agree to if they want to participate in a forum that will allow for sites to communicate amongst each other. It's more so an cross-site communication section. However, there are a number of people that are discussing some other things though I've mentioned moving it to the Jedi Resource Center as much of the discussions we are having at the Powwow are being done at the JRC.

I would fully support a council being done as long as I knew the members on it were truly there to better the community and not for their own personal gain and for most, that is pretty easy to see which way it is for them. It would take a lot of work and confidence because a lot of heat would be taken but if the individuals working towards it are prepared, I'm all for seeing it done!!

• Thank you received: 15

Icarus replied the topic: Re: Jedi Council

Streen,

Actually, there are many plans already in the mix. Incorporation is happening as we speak. That will be the business side of things, which I know next to nothing about, but there are a great many other things happening right now. Some of these plans do include a council, but also a council of education, and many other sub-councils.

So, yes, many people support a council. The reasons behind this are numerous, but mainly, it comes down to the fact that most people are tired of this rag-tag team of individuals, and want a real Order. There will be great opposition from the few naysayers out there, but resolve will win the day. The Order will happen, and with that Order will come a Council. I fully support these plans.

• Thank you received: 14

Xhaiden replied the topic: Re: Jedi Council

I'm with you on the business part, I'm thrilled to see that part happening, but can't do much more then that on that part..lol.

Can't agree more though!!

• Thank you received: 46

Streen replied the topic: Re: Jedi Council

Yet again I find myself surprised at the support I'm hearing for a council to be created.

I suppose my surprise has a lot to do with what you mentioned, Xhaiden: the fact that so many councils have been made in the past that ultimately failed.  I see a difference, however, in the way people in the Jedi community talk.  There are fewer sites than there used to be, more cooperation, more recognition between sites.  That is, at least, what I'm seeing.  I might be wrong.

So, I really think that if the creation of a council is handled similarly to how the definition decision was handled, including all known sites that want to participate, I really think it can be done. 

"When you’re deluded, every statement is an ulcer; when you’re enlightened, every word is wisdom."
— Zhiqu

• Thank you received: 5

Magdelene Nashira replied the topic: Re: Jedi Council

Have seen councils rise and councils fall.  Have been in meetings where they dreamed of doing great things and accomplished nothing.  The bickering always wins.  Yet the dream persists, so I know of two things. 

1.  Every attempt known to make a Jedi Council has failed.

2.  There will always be yet another attempt to start another Jedi Council.

The closest I ever came to this was to be included in a couple of discussion groups.  Those seemed to me to be rides to nowhere too.  So after my experience with that I promised myself that whatever the next big kick is, no matter how grand it sounds, no matter how much fun it sounds, no matter how important it sounds, . . . I'm just not going for the ride again.  But those of you who want to participate in such things please proceed with my blessings.  I think there is a lot to be learned from these experiences even though they do fail.  As for me I'm just not up to joining you right now.  Maybe next time.

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." - Kurt Cobain

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds