GP: Jedi Skills/Attributes: Spiritual/Philosophical

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 82

Stryse replied the topic: Re: GP: Jedi Skills/Attributes: Spiritual/Philosophical

I would want to specifically state meditation with a spiritual goal, as opposed to meditation for energy work. 

Why?

Because this thread is related to the Spiritual/Philosophical, and there's another thread dedicated to energy work (Esoterics), would be my guess.

I think meditation as a generic practice would best fit here.  Once we start doing it regularly enough, we often find that as a technique,  it can be a means to other ends, such as with energy work which itself would be better suited for the esoterics section.   

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: GP: Jedi Skills/Attributes: Spiritual/Philosophical

I don't know where these would fit...  They are a bit more specific - and possibly something already part.

1.)  Personal archaeology - Not just looking at our pasts - but digging through it and sifting where we have harmful emotional pasts that yet effect us - and where we have positive knowledge - and how we came to it.

2.)  Shielding and protection for energy/spirit

3.)  Daily Life as a Jedi.  What are the considerations?  What are the tools?  (There would be a lot of sharing and discussion as well.)

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1777

Jax replied the topic: Re: GP: Jedi Skills/Attributes: Spiritual/Philosophical

What I mean is there are different types of meditations. Some are meant specifically for spiritual growth, some are meant specifically for energetic growth, some are meant for understanding the self.  There are of course overlaps with these, but that a person should know more than a single meditation for a single purpose.  I'm not saying meditation is not a spiritual practice, but that just saying meditation is too general to be useful for a guide. 

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Asta, if you don't mind I'm going to put your suggestions in the general attributes as they aren't spiritual per se, unless you have a different way to state them. 

By the way, we need some philosophy type folks to add to this list. lol 

• Thank you received: 523

Atticus replied the topic: Re: GP: Jedi Skills/Attributes: Spiritual/Philosophical

To the philosophical section, I might suggest ethics.  I know ethical behavior was brought up in another section, but how do we know what is right or wrong, good or bad, in the first place?

For lack of a better term, I might also suggest something like social/political philosophy.  Where does a Jedi fit into the larger world, society, government?

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Can you expand on your last suggestion atticus? I don't really follow so I can put it in the list.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 82

Stryse replied the topic: Re: GP: Jedi Skills/Attributes: Spiritual/Philosophical

Jedi citizenry perhaps?  I recall in the boy scouts they had three different merit badges related.  Community, Nation, World.    There might be both a philosophical and behavioral component to it, just as with ethics.

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Thank you received: 523

Atticus replied the topic: Re: GP: Jedi Skills/Attributes: Spiritual/Philosophical

Hmmm.  We each come to our own philosophical understanding of "what is a Jedi?" and "where is the Path taking me?"  But those are questions of identity, centered on one's self.  Speaking for myself, I can get a little solipsistic; it's easy for me to dedicate myself to training for personal growth, for greater understanding, for health and happiness and spiritual peace.  I can forget that I haven't been given these tools just to improve my own life.

So I think working outward from there, it's been helpful for me to contemplate how my Path fits into the wider world.  Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had suggested, "What is the role of a Jedi in contemporary society?" ;)

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Ok :-)

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: GP: Jedi Skills/Attributes: Spiritual/Philosophical

I would rather replace spirituality with Practical Philosophy.

Acknowledging that physical world is merely a small part of reality limited by our own sight, hearing and mostly thinking is  part of practical philosophy.

No need to separate normality and spirituality in my opinion. But that is of course true only for me.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds