Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes

Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes 6 years 4 months ago #15678

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1700
The Jedi path has progressed to the point where a lot of people have the basics down, many have expertise in specific training areas, and many are looking for direction to guide their path going forward.  One way that this need could be addressed is to have a document which lists the many different things a Jedi can train in.  This guide can then be used for Jedi to see areas of weakness, or to inspire experts to create documents that can be used to train others.  But first, we must have a list.  That is the group project we're asking everyone to participate in.  

Think of this project as a brainstorming session.  There will be a few threads to separate the topics into categories which will include subcategories within the thread.  Don't worry about how attainable something is in a short period of time.  Imagine if you were in a situation where you could train full time for your lifetime.  What would be possible?  In the future, if necessary, the lists can be organized as beginner, intermediate, and advanced.  Be as specific as you can.  For instance, energy work or martial arts is too vague to be useful.  Provide an example of what a person could do with energy, or specific skills to be gained in martial arts.  Also, try to explain what you mean by a term. There's only one real rule - no arguments.  We aren't creating this list to say a person must learn everything to be a Knight or Master. We are simply creating a reference document.  And in order to have a good brainstorming session everyone must feel comfortable to speak their opinion.  Ask for clarification if something is unclear, since that information could be necessary in the document, but don't criticize someone for their opinions.  Save that for an eventual discussion of what a Knight should know (or something similar.)

If you have questions about the process in general, try to keep those in this thread.  I hope we can have fun with this and organize information that has been spread around the community or never even stated explicitly.  If you aren't sure where to post a suggestion, try to find the one that makes the most sense.  There are many things that can fit into multiple categories, we can sort that out as a document is created.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes 6 years 1 month ago #16792

Firstly I do want to stress on that it has to be done right or it won't go far nor live long.

When I was 13 I made a list of ranks and added increasing abilities to perform certain feats to each rank.
In the end I came to see it leads me to focus too much on ranks and thus I lost all interest in actually developing my skills.
It felt so fake to try to chase ranks.

For that reason I think focusing on learning without boundaries is far more efficient and realistic. Possible levels of personal growth are as infinite as there are ways to grow and learn.

I don't mean with this that you'd have to quit all attempts on making a list of skills linked to ranks. I warn you to be careful to not get too carried away with this very interesting goal. Be practical and consider the ranks and skills in perspective of life at large.

Maybe you are aware of this pitfall, if so then great. I would hope this warning will help you and not impede you.

Re: Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes 6 years 1 month ago #16793

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
We haven't spoken of ranks at all.  The whole purpose is to come up with a list of skills people can think about learning, if they are inclined.  A discussion of ranks is much further down the road, though it is mentioned as an example of how this project can be used.  :-)

Re: Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes 6 years 1 month ago #16797

Interesting.

Well I am as excited about this as anyone, I may add my bits which can tolerate the full light projected on them ;D

Re: Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes 6 years 1 month ago #16806

For your consideration.

Approach the skills and attributes as the means to make your jedi training more rounded and complete. As long as you don't loose sight of this simple premise it is easy to build any kind of working and realistic structure. Whether it has skills/attributes linked to ranks or anything else is a matter of style, of personal taste. Unless you're building a jedi order where you want more higher ranks truly be more empowered and more trustworthy.

That brings us to the question of, why and in which setting you envision the lists of skills/attributes? Is it meant to help concentrate helpful jedi training material? Or is it meant to lead to something more?

I guess the goal of this Institution is to simply put forth a strong training manual for the use of jedi.

Re: Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes 6 years 1 month ago #16809

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
That's yet to be determined by the community.  For now it is meant to help people in their self study.  Many times we know we need to work on something but can't think of what to do next.  With a list it helps remind us of options and can help us know where to go next.  In addition, I would like to see people see the list and say "I know something about this topic.  I'll write something up for people to think about and learn from."  These are the two immediate ways the lists are useful.  In the longer term it can be used to come up with guidelines for training and goals within different levels of experience.  Of course, if a person finds another way to use the list, such as writing a larger manual, that's great too!  Right now it's just a brainstorming process that will hopefully pick up a bit this summer. :-)

Re: Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes 6 years 1 month ago #16812

Alright I got it.

:meditate

Re: Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes 6 years 1 month ago #16860

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 238
not sure where this would fall, or even if I can describe the idea well enough, but I'll give it a shot:
Understanding of how things work, such as automotive, computers, Hydroponics/Gardening, things of that nature. Gaining this understanding with the idea of being able to "DO" something, but in alot of case's this understanding can translate into other areas of understanding by comparison. I Guess, maybe a Technical Skills area, and not so much for degree or job based, but for reality based. Such as Jax doing the Wild edibles class, the talk of Survival skills, but also skills to allow for more independence such as gardening/hydroponics, Automotive(so at the very least you know what to tell your mechanic), computers, and things of that nature. I don know that I really conveyed what I was thinking, as right now I'm even having a hard time pinning it down in my own head. I'll keep working on it.
.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

Re: Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes 6 years 1 month ago #16934

I'm a bit like Memnioch - in that considering the skills of a Jedi in various disciplines is something I really need to consider.  It is a VAST Path we Jedi follow - and it's why I can't find anything that comes close to what I consider a truly deep, wide and challenging/fullfilling Path.

Interesting reading!!!!

Re: Group Project: List of Jedi Skills/Attributes 6 years 1 month ago #16935

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
I agree. I find the potential continually expanding which is exciting.  I find it interesting to see what people add to the list.  I hope in time Jedi will find themselves writing up something informative about a topic in the list.  :-)
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds