What should be in a bug out bag?

• Hilda Cain
  • Hilda Cain's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 269

Hilda Cain created the topic: What should be in a bug out bag?

1) Back pack or over the shoulder bag?
2) What do you want to put in it? I have seen/heard people say you need this or you need that. If I follow everything I need, it would require a bus to carry it.
So, opinions, please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1920

Kol Drake replied the topic: What should be in a bug out bag?

This whole "After the Death Star" has numerous posts concerning 'stuff' to consider.

>> Another Post about Bug Out Bags... <<

Around the third post, I have a link to a Red Cross page with a list of 'things' to consider packing.

SOME people have a 'small go bag' (shoulder bag)... a 'medium' bag (backpack)... to 'what can we load in a vehicle?'

Even the Red Cross suggests having a go bag under your desk at work... which is different than what you would have 'at home'... since you might be STUCK in your office building (earthquake?) and food/water is the primary need... along with maybe a blanket or poncho or whatnot... PLUS what you might NEED to GET HOME. (( and if you might have to walk versus driving... ))

This is NOT about being paranoid about everything.
BUT, like the old Boy Scout saying -- Be prepared.
By 'being prepared' (even half prepared), you are 'in balance' while everyone else is freaking out.

• Hilda Cain

Hilda Cain replied the topic: What should be in a bug out bag?

I remember, after years, of being told the power never goes out for very long, the power was out for 12 hours. Luckily, I had batteries, flashlights, candles all around the house. People grabbed and use them. The next day I brought a nonelectric coffeemaker. Yes, I can understand being even a little prepared. It was midnight when the power went out thankfully everyone had a flashlight near by. But, I will check out different websites and come up with a decent idea for a bug out bag.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

The big deal for some is remembering to do a semi annual or annual check of their 'be prepared' kits.
Batteries 'die' (darn those acid batteries!).. and left too long, they junk up a flashlight or radio.
Medicines age and need to be replaced.
Even 'quick foods' can have shelf lives that are only good for a few years. (unless they are twinkies!!!)

And, some LEDs do better than others when it comes to general uses.
A 'spot' LED can keep your way lit to find the doors and stairs but don't do as well as a typical bulb flashlight for lighting up a room.
BUT, there are some 'super brights' that can be nearly spotlights... but I'm not sure how heavy those mega blasters might be.

• Hilda Cain

I like the LED lanterns, they put out enough light to read almost anywhere in a room and easy to carry. Some fold down easily. Batteries I try to check the expire by dates and use the oldest first, lol, does not always happen, but, i try. At the moment the only thing i take is vitamins, and I check the dates on canned foods, paste and crackers. They are still eatable for several months, they might not taste as good, but, food is food. Any survival food or dehydrate is good for a LONG time. Most of the LED flashlights are not that heavy and you get a good area of bright. Which is another worry, do you want people who maybe hostile to see you?

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

That is the 'other side of the survival coin'... your area, your neighbors, etc.
How safe might your neighbors be if YOU have supplies and they don't, etc.
It's dicey.

For a nice suburban survival guide... from cleaning water to making shelters, to using bits of cars for insulation, etc... I highly recommend an old 'steampunk' guide to the end of the world. THough it has pictures that are steamy and lettering that might be goofy, it is straight out the best 'quick guide' I've seen so far. YES< there are Navy SEAL survival books and other stuff... but this is common sense stuff that ANYONE can figure out given a read or two.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Also, to see how much you CAN carry in a small/medium bag.. here is a link to a video.
Some of the stuff cost a fair amount (the bag shown was around $50)... and some of those 'defense' items aren't cheap either... BUT, if you build it up over a few years, you can accumulate a nice kit.

BUT, you can have a TINY kit... watch this video on using an Altoids tin to hold a kit.

• Hilda Cain

I had thought of that that, that is why I said no generator. Out in the country yes, in the city no. People break in to houses around it without it being an emergency. With people hungry looking for supplies, you will need to keep a very low profile. I hate to say it but, you are going to need to help yourself and family first. I know this, if I could find someone with Medical training and bring them into a survival group I would.

• Hilda Cain

There is also Hydro Lights, ie, flashlights powered by water now. I am going to be testing them to see if they work or not. BUT, I have heard they work very well.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Seems every week a 'new and improved' LED system or Solar Recharger or... you pick it... tech evolves.
Many think about carting about gallons of water... others just pack water purification tablets... some invest in those 'new hi tech' gel straws that you can suck mud thru and get pure, clean water.

For most, it's the cost of each item that is the critical hurdle. So, start with what you have on hand and 'upgrade' as you can...
Ovedr time, you will find what 'works' for you and what can be tossed for something 'better', 'lighter', 'more reliable'. It is a learning curve...

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds