7 survival myths that will get you killed

• Thank you received: 2

Lisa replied the topic: 7 survival myths that will get you killed

lol, that could become useful. you know almost every thing taste like chiken like ants and frogs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1762

Jax replied the topic: 7 survival myths that will get you killed

I agree Kol. There are probably books already, but I haven't personally read any. It would be nice to incorporate it into the situational awareness class curriculum.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 239

Memnoich replied the topic: 7 survival myths that will get you killed

While I have a hard copy of this manual, it is available free on-line:
US Army Survival Manual
SAS Survival Manual

This is a generic Urban Survival one:
Urban Survival Manual

I'll look through these and see if I can pull out some of the more important things, as in any situation, not all of the knowledge is pertinent. Desert survival, doesn't really help you in the mountains, or the ocean, so I guess to start would be first coming up with the basics needed in all situations, firebuilding, water retrieving, shelter, etc..

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

the SAS survival manual was one of the books my father gave to me.

• Thank you received: 18

Jedi Initiate H replied the topic: 7 survival myths that will get you killed

mental preparedness is something that is not really discussed. It is but not to the level it needs to be. If you have every lost your bearings in the bush you'll know what i mean ;) .

In AU its the small critters that will get you :dry: unfortunatly you'll be dead or in trouble before you know what happened. There is things that you can do down under to avoid these little critters. Things like stomping through the bush to scare off snakes, avoid the spots that the bad ass spiders like, natural tick repelent and sleep within something that encloses you so you dont end up with a snake or scorpion as a bunk buddy. There are worse spiders on the east coast than the west (were i live). There is a spider in the east called a mouse spider and it is huge and so aggressive that if you make it mad it will chase you and then if you manage to get your boot on it without it jumping onto your shin it will still be alive! ahh good times... :cheer:

At least in AU we dont have bears, wolfs or any other big game hunting animals that'll eat you in your sleep....

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

A lot of the basics are covered in situational awareness 101 here. ;-)

iv never heard of any gaint spiders, we dont have any scorpions were i live but we have
a rabid cat outbreak.All the dangers in the world and yet so many people stay alive for a long time its kinda
amazing in how we can do that. But most people only leave their house once in a while with the exeptions of work and stuff
so i guess that how most of us stay alive.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 239

Memnoich replied the topic: 7 survival myths that will get you killed

So I got to thinking about this last night, and while I'm not sure whats in the Situational Awareness class, haven't taken it yet, I'm not sure these ideas really go with it. While it is always good to be aware of your surroundings, environmental survival is not the same thing. The comment from Jax about wanting to hike and camp more, but that she'd be sticking to well known trails/areas making it ok, combined with the off-road biker who just died down here got me to thinking.
Let me break it down.

A guy from Denver made a trip down here to the Western Slope of Colorado on Saturday to go play in the desert with his Dirt bike motorcycle. He came by himself, first mistake, he told family/friends that he'd be back on Sunday, but no other real information, second mistake. He was reported missing Sunday evening when his family/friends realized that he hadn't made it back to Denver.
The authorities found his vehicle Monday morning, with his wallet and cell phone still inside, third mistake. We have some dirt hills to the north of us, but they are close enough to town that you can get cell service in most areas up there. Monday night they found his motorcycle and helmet, and evidence of a wreck, just a couple miles north and east of his truck, however, footprints showed he had headed off in the wrong direction, he was lost, possibly delirious from the accident, and depending on when he last had a drink, severely De-hydrated. Tuesday afternoon they found a trail of clothes that lead to his body.
Initial guess is that some time midday Saturday, he was out playing by himself, and wrecked. He had left his truck in a nearby staging area that most of the off-roaders use, but didn't tell anybody where he was going, or even leave a note. Not knowing the area he went out further then most do, and ended up lost. it's believed he lost consciousness after the accident, and woke up delirious and confused from both the accident and the lack of water, no evidence that he took water with him. He started to wander south, away from the mountains, which was a good idea as town is south from the mountains, but between his injuries, the 100 degree weather, and his lack of water, didn't make it far. Search and rescue are waiting for confirmation, but it's believed he died even before he was reported missing, due to injuries and the environment.

The reason I bring this up is because of how often stuff like this happens around here, so often that you get desensitized to it. My co-worker is the local K-9 unit for Search and Rescue, so I often hear about, i.e. get told he's not coming in today, stuff that is happening, and it's usually, about people that go adventuring with the wrong attitude, the, "its just a day trip to an established area" so they go unprepared, only to fine themselves lost because they followed a game trail, not a hiking path, and then a storm comes out of no where, or the sun beats down on them, or they slide down a hill side. They didn't bring anything with them because it was just a "day trip" to a "well traveled area", to which we hear about them 3-5 days later, and hope that its a happy story.

I mean, so many of us take things for granted, my Girlfriend, reminded me of this. 4 years ago, she drove from Florida to Colorado in December with her girls. She was traveling interstates the whole way, so she didn't think anything about prepping for the trip. Just outside of Wichita Falls Texas, she got caught in a blizzard, for over 24 hours, she and her daughters were stuck in a snow bank on the side of the interstate, with barely any food or water, she had to keep turning off the car to preserve gas as she had less then half a tank, and had them all wearing several layers of clothes. She got lucky! she had access to their clothes and blankets to help keep them warm, she was able to preserve enough gas so that when it cleared up some she barely made it to the next town, but by then they were extremely hungry as they had nothing but snacks with them, that were gone the first night. Had that storm lasted longer, it might not have been a happy ending.

How often do we travel some where, not prepared, we assume everything is going to be ok, so no need to have the "Just in Case" stuff, the recommended 3 days worth of survival essentials, that should be in a car when ever you make a long trip, or the bare necessities when going out into the "Wilderness". How often do we go somewhere, without giving someone a set plan, and updates as needed so should something happen and you Don't make it there, it's not 2 days before people start looking for you?

I may sound like a doomsday prepper, and admittedly I do read some of that stuff, as it's helpful to know where I live, but I think to many of us have become complacent, and not very safety conscious. While I live with an optimistic attitude, I try to make sure that I have a bare min of essentials ready. it's like the quote from Aliens versus Predators, "Same concept as a condom, I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it".

So where am I going with all of this? I'm going to the point of I think, maybe even as part of the Situational Area, that a survival class might be helpful. not going so far as to how to survive in the wild after a nuclear holocaust, but maybe more of a How Not to be a victim of the environment, survival basics to start, i.e. fire starting, shelter building/finding, bug out bags/min survival gear, and then go more advanced into environmental survival, i.e car, urban, cold, hot, water, what to take with you, what to look for, Food/disease, as well as how to get un-lost/ how to help S&R find you.

I know I've been talking with my co-worker about joining S&R when my son gets a little older, and I've been looking into self sufficiency/survival classes myself. I don't plan on being a victim if I can help it, and being in Colorado, you can't help but go into the wild. I love to hike, hunt, fish, and camp, so having some survival skills and the correct mentality is what, I hope, will keep me from being a victim to the elements.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Many of those ideas are covered in the class, but, we can discuss this privately so as not to hijack this thread. And yeah, I'm quite aware of these and hope more people become more aware through their time here. I don't have a lot of supplies in my car currently because it's too hot to keep a first aid kit safe (any pills or ointments are exposed to much too high temperatures). But I do have flashlights and knives at all times. And I'll keep my backpack survival kit in the car for long road trips - just not needed driving around in the city here. In colorado I'll upgrade to the winter kit, which I used to have in my car when I lived up north. I'm amazed that people wouldn't prepare at all. I guess some people feel invincible.

Thank you for sharing this example.

Also with the heat in the car you should never leave a plastic water bottle in there
because if it heats up the plastic releases chemicals into the water that can cause cancer.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds