Different Post-Apoc. Strategies?

• Taijibum
  • Taijibum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Jedi Wannabe
  • Thank you received: 80

Taijibum created the topic: Different Post-Apoc. Strategies?

I was talking with my sister and brother who are preppers and they both have the same strategy of stockpile and hunker down after an apocalypse. I have the plan of traveling. I have a light pack with some light weapons and plan on traveling if we have an apoc. I was wondering what other strategies are out there?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tothian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1762

Jax replied the topic: Different Post-Apoc. Strategies?

I think it depends on where you are. If you live in the country, hunker down is likely the best option. You can plan long term by planting food, having chickens and goats, stockpile, etc. But if you live in the city, leaving is much better. Look at the east coast right now. People don't have access to water until it's turned back on, which is after the power returns. They don't have places to grow food or hold animals. They have minimal space to stockpile. And crime is likely. Since I'm confident there is no apocalypse coming, I'm not prepping to that extent. However, I'm also confident in the increase of stronger natural events that cause localized apocalyptic type situations. My hope is I'll know ahead of time so I can leave with my family and head north (nowhere else to go here lol) Therefore I'm building up the emergency supplies I need to survive anywhere until I can get back to family (which is far enough that it's incredibly unlikely that they'd be affected by the same emergency).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tothian

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.
  • Thank you received: 16

Tothian replied the topic: Different Post-Apoc. Strategies?

In addition to the things already mentioned,

Flashlights, batteries, some kind of solar powered radio for any news updates. Books to read for both continuous learning and preventing boredom.

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.

Also just thought of more. Ice chests, ice prepared and ready. And lighters and/or matches in case you ever want to eat worms, eels. Wait what? No. Didn't you hear what I said? I SAID WARM MEALS. And vitamins.

Power Generators with Gas can also be helpful too.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Different Post-Apoc. Strategies?

Again, unless you are stockpiling and have a spot set aside with some nice above ground (or underground) holding tanks for fuel, sooner or later you will be wandering the byways looking for fuel for your generators... unless you are also set up to use recharging batteries/solar cells and wind turbines or perhaps even a water wheel. Same for water unless you have already had a deep well drilled and pumping (again -- need power to pump unless you are using a rope and bucket approach).

Warm meals? Cook stoves (until the gas/fuel runs out). Self heating MREs. Solar cooking. Or, in a pinch, campfires and cast iron skillet cooking. All contingent on having a 'place' to hunker down at to do all this. If you are wandering with only the pack on your back, warm meals is lower on the list compared to fresh water and a protected place to sleep each night.

We've posted before on having 'go bags' / emergency contingency bags / 3 days of 'hunker down' food and water and supplies. Note that that '3 day rule' is out the door in cases like Katrina and Sandy level devastation. If your home is leveled; hopefully you had the sense to grab your go bag. IF not, you are stuck in the street in your jammies and fuzzy slippers and ... that's it. How do you 'cope' without all the survival goodies?

Of course, I would hope wiser Jedi heads would have heeded the storm warnings and evacuated early on (as most SHOULD have done instead of 'trying to ride out the storm'). At least then you would be safe enough to come back later to contend with the destruction once the dust (and water) had settled.

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.

But with the current damage, and people still without power in many places... I hope it stays farther south where they can absorb more of the storm.

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.

I hope so. As in not with any people but like in the ocean. Or snow. Snow makes it more fun to have hot cocoa.

I just hope the internet still works though.

I agree. Just let people keep power so they have heat as well.

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.

Personally I prefer it cold. Even in winter I like an air conditioner. Both because white noise makes it easier to sleep and less likely for other noises to wake me up. Cold room, warm bed with lots of blankets. Wearing lots of layers is good to keep one warm. But I'm just speaking for myself there.

But, while I was writing this post, I just thought of something else. Having clean and dry clothes ready beforehand can help keep one warmer when it's cold but no power thus no way of being able to wash clothes during that time.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds