My emergency kit

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1785

Jax created the topic: My emergency kit

I'm starting to build my survival kit again and thought I'd share what I have in it. My goal is to have it fit into a single backpack which I can easily throw in the car when going on a trip out of town. I've bought much of what I have so far from amazon, so I'll post the links for simplicity.

Things I didn't buy from amazon include things I already had around the house:
big box of matches
leather work gloves
rock hammer
550 cord (parachute cord)
first aid kit which includes an instant ice pack, emergency blanket, etc
fire starter sticks (usually found in the store to start fireplaces)
Mora survival knife $15 (other varieties are even less) Great knives, strong, but you'll want to oil them for longevity
gerber knife sharpener under $5
swedish fire steel under $15
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: My emergency kit

(limits to the number of links in a post)
Vetbond Adhesive, 3 ml (the stuff I got isn't on amazon anymore, it's just glue for cuts and stuff)
Field suture kit around $20. My wife knows how to suture and take blood, I don't feel comfortable using this, but in an emergency, in theory it's doable.
Goal Zero solar charger $90 No, this isn't necessary. But it's small, portable, powerful, and would be helpful. I also have a small usb powered fan which could run off the battery pack making for a little comfort. :-)

I have more things to add still, but every bit helps.

• Thank you received: 144

Dustin replied the topic: My emergency kit

I've been wanting to put together more of a first-aid/survival kit for emergencies while driving/hiking/camping away from civilization. The urgency hasn't been high on that project since the amount of time I spend away from metro-areas or the busy routs between them is pretty negligible.

The kit I do have is an accumulation of what I've needed while working on cars, computers/laptops, and other stuff I regretted not having at some point. Tools sometimes migrate into the home/garage over time, but whenever I hop between metro areas it all ends up back in the car again.

Glove Box
Small First Aid Kit
Crank Flash-Light
Kleenex/Napkins

Trunk
Spare tire/Jack/Tire iron
10 gal Rubbermade bin
Jumper Cables
Duct Tape
Socket Wrench Set
Screw Driver Set w/Flathead, Philips, Torx, Allen bits
Small Tool Box
2 Adjustable Wrenches
2 Vice Grips (Needle Nose & Crecent)
Cheap Knife/Multitool w/Needle Nose Pliers
Cheap Pocket Knife (Straight and Serrated blades)
Long Solid Philips Screw Driver
Small Hammer
Multiple socket wrench extensions
Car Service Manual
1 Gal jug of fresh water
2 qt oil
Nylon Rope
Bungee Cables
Shop Paper Towels (Not bad as toilet paper)
Towel

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Anais Nin

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Lots of good things in there. I have other things I'll add when I get time, including many things already in the house. I'll reference this when I'm adding to mine. :-)

• Thank you received: 144

Dustin replied the topic: My emergency kit

I also remembered that I have a cigarette lighter powered air/tire-pump and a 3 foot pry-bar. Also my jacket/coat has my best knife/multitool (Swiss Army Knife), I don't wear it in Summer but it always ends up in the car on trips. I recently started wearing my jacket so I can carry my new Kindle around; in addition to the books of whatever subjects I'm interested in (science, programming, history) it has Military Survival/Nutrition Manuals and the aged but still infamous Anarchist Cookbook. Also my phone has a compass, flashlight, and GPS in addition to the whole communication aspect.

A lot of the stuff you have I intend to get into my kit eventually too. I have a purchase order and every time we take a trip I feel justified in further investment. Next up is road beacons/flares and emergency blankets. I also need to get a new bin because my lid broke.

I have the standard stuff at home. Flash lights, candles, canned food, filtered water, nothing special.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Anais Nin

• Thank you received: 68

Beral Khan replied the topic: My emergency kit

I need to spend more time building the back pack and the car pack. I spent a lot of time last year investigating all the stuff I wanted to get, but it was so overwhelming that I decided I need to start small.

I used to trust my force of Will.
Now I trust in the will of the Force.

Jedi Communication? Well its removing assumptions, questioning the absolutes, and asking for clarity of statements.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

What's funny is the day before vacation i got a flat tire - and have no lugwrench! Lol best not to assume what is available. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please forgive typos

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1773

Kol Drake replied the topic: My emergency kit

And this year -- 2017 -- we have a hurricane that flooded the Texas area and basically destroyed homes & businesses for a million people. Raging fires burning up the Pacific Northwest/West Coast. And ANOTHER, even stronger hurricane heading toward Florida and the East Coast.

I just saw an article where folks are trying to fly out of Florida and/or their elder parents -- and what *was* a ticket for about $150 has 'suddenly' jumped to $1300. Let's see if the feds jump on the airlines for price gouge-ing. A lot of folks jumped on Amazon after the Texas floods because their cases of bottled water mysteriously increased in price.

Also just scanned a 'survival kit' website. Some neat 'micro tool kits' for around $20... but their $150-250 kits just seem to lacking things I'd think would make more sense. I mean -- yes, grab all those 'just add water' meals or even military style MREs. But I remember camping way back in the 70s. We had tiny cans of sterno (jellied fuel) and, in a pinch, these weird micro tablets you can ignite and cook with.

And all these kits had 'plastic bags' for water but.. no water bottles... plastic or stainless steel. And no water purification pills. Or just a sealed package of 'Dollar Store' baby wipes... good for 'fast wipe ups' or 'in the field' not a bath... to save on water.

One gallon of water a day. Note all the flooding in Houston. Swamped the water treatment plants so.. no processed / good water. And the flood waters had trash, human waste and all kinds of chemicals in it... not what I would ever consider trying... even with pills or bottles of bleach! And one site said... you should have 2 gallons per day.... one gallon for drinking and one for cleaning/cooking... holy moly... imagine 2 people trying to lug around 20-30 gallons (1 gallon of water = 8.34 pounds) 166.8 - 250.2 POUNDS OF WATER... (and we aren't even talking about the 'go bags' full of supplies, clothes, etc.)

Most flood victims slogging out of their neighborhoods barely had the clothes on their backs and their kids (or pets) in their arms.

Go bags for overnight / 2 day / 5 day stretches really should be a Jedi requirement these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Morrako, Chris-Tien Jinn

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Agreed. They aren't really thinking about what is needed in the most common situations. There are things like life straw which would be a far better investment. To drink poor quality water wherever you are is a huge benefit. And it weighs almost nothing. Actually, that's a really good marketing approach for the similar water filtration systems.

Where we are there's no need to evacuate quickly. But when we move towards the mountains we need to be prepared for wildfires. I'm planning to have a bunker built to ride out a fire if it happens too close to evacuate safely from. Hurricanes have the one advantage of time, but are so unpredictable that it's still a challenging situation.

I hope this reminds us all to be more prepared.

• Thank you received: 80

Morrako replied the topic: My emergency kit

Great discussion here. Just amazing. Useful knowledge and to the point. What you all are talking about and how to solve it is why I love it here.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds