Make a long burning candle from crisco

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1747

Jax created the topic: Make a long burning candle from crisco

This is pretty cool. I was thinking it's not a bad idea for the car. In the event I needed a long burning candle, crisco would be excellent because the fat is a food source. Not a well balanced one, but hey, energy is energy. Also, if I have a small pan in my car, crisco means I can make crispy critters. hahaha

Crisco Candle Instructions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1746

Kol Drake replied the topic: Make a long burning candle from crisco

'Back in the day' lard was rendered animal fat. Crisco was pushed as a 'healthy alternative' -- 100% vegetable oil. That was then. "Crisco" was sold and re-bought and re-constituted several times since it's inception and as of 2012, Crisco consists of a blend of soybean oil, fully hydrogenated palm oil, and partially hydrogenated palm and soybean oils. So, still technically still 'vegetable oils' but... not so straight forward anymore. And much to the contrary of what some claim, it can still spoil over time. (( it is not a Twinkee ))

You can 'do' the same 'make a makeshift candle' gig using a jar of Petroleum Jelly (( which has a higher chance of being in your home the a can of Crisco )) -AND- having PJ is cool since it can be used for several other 'emergency' uses --- lip balm, face protection against wind and cold, 'fixing' cuts in leather boots until you can properly work the leather and of course, the biggie is as a fire starter --- in a small container, place two or three cotton balls and a spoonful of petroleum jelly. Using the spoon, mash the cotton balls into the petroleum jelly until they are well coated. Place the covered cotton balls in the middle of your woodpile and touch a lit match to each one. A fire that has been lit using this method will burn solidly for a long while and is a snap to start.

But, i suppose it depends on what you have. While not great as a candle, even Pringles (fancy shaped potato chips) can make for good 'fire starter' due to the oils it has from processing. (as do Fritoes and regular potato chips and other high fat, 'bad for you health-wise' munchies.)

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Make a long burning candle from crisco

Interesting ideas. Maybe that's a good experiment to play with someday. :-)

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds