ITS Tactical - Imminent Threat Solutions

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1887

Jax created the topic: ITS Tactical - Imminent Threat Solutions

I only glanced at a few things, but this site looks like it has a lot of good information in it. I found it because someone posted a link to their directions on how to pick the locks on handcuffs. Enjoy!

ITS Tactical

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: Re: ITS Tactical - Imminent Threat Solutions

I flipped through the medical supplies section, and I'm of two minds. Knowledge is good, but in some cases a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Example: in their descriptions of blow out kits and how to assemble and use them, they discuss inter alia how to treat tension pneumos (?!), but IMO without enough information to ensure that the information they're giving isn't going to be completely misused or botched. ("Where's that decompression needle go again? Oh well, geronimo.") Maybe that's the torts student in me coming out. ;) Outside of the med section, though, I'm certain there's a lot of useful stuff to be gleaned here.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re: ITS Tactical - Imminent Threat Solutions

From the little I've seen their philosophy is, use your brain. Don't do stuff if you have no clue. but if you're in a situation of life or death and that little bit of extra knowledge you picked up can tip the scales toward life, then maybe it's worth it. But most of the time people can get to a hospital. At some point, someone has to decide if putting the knowledge out there is worth the risk. But hey, how many of us learned how to do an emergency tracheotomy from watching MASH? :-) (I'm sure Zen-ryo is cringing right now lol) I'm not saying I'd go out and do these things, but if needed, I might be able to do it. It's not any different than the minimal combat first aid we were taught in boot camp. It was just enough to keep someone alive long enough for the corpsman to get there much of the time. I'm rambling, but in the end, everyone should be responsible.

Well said. And to be clear, I'm speaking from 1) having really looked closely only at the medical section, probably the part of the website with the biggest potential for consequences if the information is misused, and 2) a reflexive tendency to caution people against things that might open up a big honking personal injury complaint. :unsure:

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

I totally understand, and I agree. Even getting one of their compact trauma kits - what good is that if you don't know how to properly use it? Without proper training it's quite easy to be sued by someone because you went beyond good Samaritan and possibly caused more harm than good. The people that created this site had medical expertise of some kind. I'm sure there are some people who will look at this, buy things, and assume they can do it because they watched a movie. lol I would hope that Jedi aren't so delusional as to think they can just pick up a kit and know what they're doing. ;-)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1915

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: ITS Tactical - Imminent Threat Solutions

Jax wrote: But hey, how many of us learned how to do an emergency tracheotomy from watching MASH? :-)

Really?

My son has watched every episode of HOUSE but I'd never trust him to make even a basic medical diagnosis let alone say -- okay, remember that one where they stuck a pen in that guy's neck?

There is common sense and then there is 'get real'.

If you want 'common sense field medicine' and stuff to learn -- get a darn Boy Scout manual. sheesh

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Have you seen the episode? It's really good. The walk him through it, step by step. That doesn't mean I'm qualified to do one, but I have as much information as I gained in boot camp. And I recognize that I'm not qualified to do anything in a normal situation. At the same time, I read an interesting testimonial on the site for one of their trauma kits. The guys using it was barely trained but he was able to stabilize his friend who was severely injured and most likely would have died. So in many situations it doesn't take all that much training to handle the basics.

I don't plan on buying a kit, but once we move and I start hiking in the mountains I will because there you have to be prepared for much more than in the city.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

The 'real story' I read on their site indicated it was military service guys under fire. They used this company's aid pack instead of the gov't issue first aid unit. Which makes sense since many who could afford it -- even went so far as to buy 'off the shelf' high end bullet proof vests (until they got in trouble for buying their own).

Still, their story speaks of some very basic 'under fire' training and handling it. Plug the holes; wrap it tight; tournequet if needed; wait for medics. Nice to have a handy dandy kit with the latest hi tech med stuff. Although most 'on the ground' forces can't afford to pay one or two hundred 'just' for a med kit.

I deliberately didn't think too much about whether they were GI or "private military". But I remember the first months of US operations in Iraq when we took up collections stateside to buy our people body armor and plating for the HMMWVs. I bring that up only to say that if one of my boys were over there, I'd take out a second mortgage to equip him if I didn't think I could trust the Pentagon to do it.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

True.

I've got a girl waiting to go to Marine basic. Holding my breathe on where she might end up in a year or so.

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds