"JediWear" Emergency Kit

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

I need to!

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

astasophi replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

Well - I have the Coast Guard SOS bars.  (Butter Lemon  and the other is Coconut).  They aren't cheap - but each bar has 1200 or 1800 or 2400 calories.  They are packaged to withstand falling into water, etc.  They taste like cookies so don't go into them for a snack - they can get addictive I guess.  I keep mine in a ziplock where I keep my other emergency stuff. 

Lightweight and good-to-go if there is a problem.  No fridge - no add-water - but are made to NOT incur thirst.

I also have a storm kettle - which can heat quite a lot of water very quickly using sticks/leaves/grasses for fuel.

Personally - an end of the world scenario is not one I look at.  I'd rather go with the end...  But in a natural disaster - or grid failure - or just a grab-and-go possible travelling or outdoor situation I like being prepared.

I am beginning to feel that I have about as much as I can do to be comfortable and safe for at least a week.

• Thank you received: 1762

Jax replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

Neat! Those are really great suggestions Asta! I'll have to look into them for my kit. 

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

On a more offensive/defensive note, here is a neat idea -- a 'walking stick' with a little something extra.

>> The Bear Stick <<

Actually more of a martial arts staff but, still, having a nice spike on it can come in handy for survival 'getting food' situations... or a center pole for an impromptu tent!

• Thank you received: 523

Atticus replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

Not to discount the utility of this tool by any means, but:

Should the bear get too close he’ll be punctured by the spike and may stop the attack i.e. a wounded bear is not a happy or aggressive bear.

That seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom, doesn't it? Maybe I just see liability exposure everywhere.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

Jax replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

Seems like you'd need to have a really lucky strike to begin with. But I've never tried to stab a bear. lol However, I can see how it could be useful, in some ways.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

So very true... 'poking at a bear' is like walking up and shaking a bee or hornet's nest... not a really good idea.

However, as a generic 'carrying a weapon without carrying a weapon' in the wild or on walking trails, it seems not a bad idea... NOT against bears but against -- say snakes or peoples who can act like snakes at times.

Plus, it's most times 'just' a walking stick/staff which can also come in handy.

Okay, semi seriously, instead of paying $30 -- go outside and find a good stick. Enjoy it; sand it; polish it; and make the 'lightsaber' noises in your head when you whip it about (outside! don't need to smash furniture...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds