"JediWear" Emergency Kit

• Thank you received: 0

Todd replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

Wow - I think the types of clothing one might need in an emergency are covered pretty thoroughly here.  The only added thing I could think of for protection from the elements is an emergency blanket; some surplus stores sell very thin, but insulated, blankets that come in a package about 6 x 4 inches or so, so are lightweight and easy to carry. 

Other than clothing, I am sent back to comments from a friend some years ago (who has since departed to the next life) who felt that everyone should have what he called a GAR (grab-and-run) pack, for emergency preparedness.  He recommended including a bit of water (even if just a canteen or liter bottle, for immediate sustenance), some emergency food (energy bars, nuts, whatever suits your fancy and is light to carry), a portable radio (perhaps one of those units that operates on either batteries, solar cells, or energy stored by turning a hand crank), a flashlight, any necessary medications or dietary supplements you may need, perhaps some silver and/or gold coins if you can afford them, and one or a few portable items that may help provide you with spiritual support (a book with text you find inspirational and/or consoling, something with which you may like to meditate, a deck of Tarot cards or some runes, etc.)

The challenge is to be as fully prepared for an emergency situation that may require evacuation as you can, while still limiting the volume of items you assemble to what you can carry. 

Lots of good thoughts in this thread, some of which I am going to borrow.  :-)

Tranquility

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1762

Jax replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

That reminds me that I need to repack things in my emergency shelter so we have bugout bags.  I do have a pack that has old MREs (really old, so I need to refresh my stock) and a few things, but it's really not a good bag at the moment.  The challenge for us is medication.  I'll have to keep it on my todo list.  Thanks for the reminder.

TB-1 replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

A recomendation about MRE's. Stay away from the Cheese and Vegi Omlete!  :-X They may be filling, but can make you ill. Also I forget the site, but you can check for updates as far as the health concerns with the MRE's. For example one batch of the Peanut Butter was contaminated with salmonila. Several military members got sick off of it. I would only use MRE's in the event that no other sutible food can be found. Going for canned foods and if possible fresh are the better choices. Also if the MRE Cheese spread is discolored a light brown shade it is still edible, but again not recommended. ^_^

T-Bone the Black

Considering how many people eat MRE's and few get sick I'm not going to worry about it any more than any other food.  And I'd never think to try egg.  I stick to the vegetarian ones usually, though I have fond memories of the smoked hot dogs.  lol And the cheese spread is ok but better when it's pepper cheese :-)  But I'd still prefer the peanut butter and veggie crackers.  lol They might not even have that stuff anymore since I've seen many new menus.

• Thank you received: 1

Macgilleon replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

I still try to get the beans and wieners if I can... it's actually come to the Quote " I WILL stab anyone that grabs the Beans and wieners... unless there's two"
I try to keep a few rats on the boat as well.

Defend and Protect, through Knowledge and Experience

lol They must be a new menu.  Bear in mind I haven't had an MRE since 2000 so...I'm sure there are many new menus. I saw quite a few different ones at the surplus store the other day.  Beans and wieners should be tasty. lol

TB-1 replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

peanut butter and vegie crackers are still in MRE's as well as the Jalepeno cheese spread. Nom Nom Nom!!!

T-Bone the Black

Good to know some things never change. :-)  lol 

That brings up a different thought though.  I think it would be beneficial to have a short guide to edible and poisonous plants so we can forage.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Re: "JediWear" Emergency Kit

Absolutely! A natural edible and inedible guide would be a worthwhile endeavor for anybody who isn't used to the outdoors and somehow gets out there.

I knew I should have stayed in Boy Scouts. ;)

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Now you can join the Jedi scouts. ;-)

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds