Essential Oils

• Memnoich
  • Memnoich's Avatar Topic Author
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 239

Memnoich created the topic: Essential Oils

First, this is not sales, this is not anything but information gathering and sharing.
I wasn't too sure where to put this, under Green Jedi or under health, but I stuck it here because it applies to more than just health.

Recently I've been introduce to Essential Oils, and have been amazed at their abilities. To give you a run down, a couple years back a real close friend passed away suddenly, that event made my wife and I take a long, hard look at our life and look for what needs improvement. Health being a big one, we changed our diet, our eating habits, and tried to find healthier, more natural ways to do something. I had always been a little skeptical about oils, sure they smelled good, but really, what could they do for me. A couple of months back I got really introduced to oils, and have been blown away by what they have done. I have had a migraine Stopped in the amount of time it took me to walk across a room, My son has gone from being a trouble child in the class, to being awesomely behaved, so much so that even the teachers have remarked on his changed behavior. I have always had issues with an over active mind when trying to sleep, now I find myself waking rested. I could never believe that simple oils from a plant could do something like this, but I guess that's were most medicines start from, plants.

It actually makes me wonder, especially with more and more scientific tests and studies showing that the ancients new what they were talking about, if the "Perfume" that many older societies used, didn't start as perfume, but as healing ointments that turned into perfume because people forgot why. Thinking about the emphasis put on Frankincense and Myrrh in the bible, and now to have used Frankincense to alleviate pain, It really makes me wonder.

I bring this up, because I wonder about other peoples experiences, what other people think, have they tried them, what did they see happen, what are some of their favorite blends/mix's for certain situations. I'm wondering if there isn't some lost knowledge that is now being reclaimed, and if so, what people know about them that I may not.

I know now, one of my favorite books has become Modern Essentials . It's chock full of information, not only on use's, but on Aromatherapy, and even the chemical breakdowns and understanding of the processes used to process it.

So, What experiences do you have with oils, or if not, what questions do you have? I'm hoping that this post will turn into an informational sharing post that will continue to grow, and maybe even become an archival knowledge article.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Essential Oils

My experience is mixed but I have no real education on it. I find an essential oil blend for calm helps me sleep, but it isn't consistent. I believe I need some real education in this area instead of just blindly trying things. lol I'll have to check into that book.

• Memnoich

Memnoich replied the topic: Essential Oils

It's an awesome book, they also have a kindle version, and a Droid app(not sure about iPhone) if you have some questions, just let me know, I can look up some stuff for you, or try to answer some questions, but yeah, there are some things that they do, beyond smelling going, that I didn't believe till it happened. The other day I had Clarity at my place for a Class, and she had just been out at Amptguard fighting( Fantasy Gaming in real life) and her back was hurting her, put on some frankensense and Soothing Blend, and before I put the bottles up, she said the pain had gone away.. That is something that still just gets me, how well this stuff works.

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

I'll definitely ask questions here so it's a bit of a basic resource.

1. Is there a negative effect (beyond skin sensitivity) for making the oil dilution stronger than instructions say?
2. What carrier oil do you use?
3. How did you use the oils with Clarity? Just a carrier oil and rub it in a bit?

• Memnoich

1. Is there a negative effect (beyond skin sensitivity) for making the oil dilution stronger than instructions say?Pretty much skin sensitivity and system sensitivity is the only thing you have to worry about with most of the oils, with the citrus some can cause you to be more sensitive to sunlight. the thing to consider is the potency of what you're using. For example, the certified pure therapeutic grade(CP:TG) that I use are very much the essence of the plant. 1 drop of peppermint is like drinking 24 cups of peppermint tea. The oregano, 1 drop is too much for spaghetti sauce, they recommend just dipping a toothpick into it to prevent over saturation. Again like anything, there are allergies to be aware of as well. So there is still the possibility of allergic reactions to oils from plants that you may not normally have much of a reaction to, simply because of the concentration. It doesn't happen very often, but it is a possibility to be aware of.

2. What carrier oil do you use?Currently I use cold pressed coconut oil, but thats only because it's what I have on hand, it's recommended to use Fractionated Coconut oil, which is more filtered and pure. But the carrier can depend on what you are doing with it. I have a skin rub I made for my Excema, its coconut oil, with Melaluca and Lavender. It has worked nicely, but the side benefit has been for my wife's sunburn, and dry skin.It works great for that as well.

3. How did you use the oils with Clarity? Just a carrier oil and rub it in a bit?I just used 2 drops of each, first the Frankincense, rubbed it in and then the Soothing blend over top and rubbed it in. Had we needed to, the next step would then have been to use a hot moist towel, laid across the area to push the oils in deeper.

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

Thank you for sharing. I have fractionated coconut oil for our Melaleuca brand oils. They also have another option, but haven't tried that yet. David is thinking about getting into doTerra and just got a sample from a friend. Either way we'll be having oils in the house. There's a lot to learn.

• Memnoich

doTerra is what I use, and share, I don't really sell, as I encourage others to join so they get the discount and the other benefits. I Just was trying to keep it brand neutral to prevent any "Turf Wars" and any feeling of Sales. Just to try and keep it about the oils.

But yes, I doTerra, so if anyone wants info on that feel free to ask, that includes you David!.

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix)

I don't view it as a problem to share the brands, as long as everyone remains civil. I use Melaleuca because I was already a member for a decade and it was easy to add it to my order. That's one benefit. One drawback is there is less education since it isn't their only product line. And their product line isn't as large. So I expect to use both honestly. Plus, their melaleuca oil is the best there is as they've refined the refining process over their decades. But doTerra has clearly done a lot of work in this area and I'm really interested to compare blends. I'm all for whatever works the best. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich

• Rebekah
  • Following my heart down this spiritual path.
  • Thank you received: 120

Rebekah replied the topic: Essential Oils

Off the top of my head I can't remember all the different oils and any negative effects they may have but keep in mind that some of them when ingested or put directly on the skin can cause a lot of harm. In their "raw" form or undiluted it reacts with our body as a toxin. So research is a must before using them. I use a lavender soap on a daily basis and even use a homemade crushed lavender mix in a water based diffuser at night to help me sleep when needed. It's great for stress relief and helps me relax. My lavender plant is really small right now though so I don't have much. Thankfully it doesn't take much. I think it's different for each person when using them as aroma therapy vs. medicinal. Each person is attracted to and feels different responses to scents. However certain oils have been shown to work consistently for healing. For example I use a lotion blend of eucalyptus, aloe, wintergreen, and rosemary for muscle aches after a hard workout or when my hip/back/leg pain gets to bad. However some people have very bad reactions in the form or sever rash from some of those ingredients.

Here is a link from the poison.org site that has more on this and even goes into more detail about uses and side effects.

Some helpful books (lots of them out there):
1. play.google.com/store/books/details?id=gnCYBgAAQBAJ&source=productsearch&utm_source=HA_Desktop_US&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=PLA&pcampaignid=MKTAD0930BO1&gl=US&gclid=CJiispqFsMwCFU4QGQodSAEEUg&gclsrc=ds

2. play.google.com/store/books/details/Althea_Press_Essential_Oils_for_Beginners_The_Guid?id=bSUnAQAAQBAJ

3. play.google.com/store/books/details/Althea_Press_The_Practical_Herbal_Medicine_Handboo?id=WRZFBgAAQBAJ

~~Bekah~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich, Jax

• Memnoich

yeah, the example I was given was, Advil, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Etc. One will work for me, but not as well as a different one works for you. So some of it is trial and error, as the Essences react to our body chemistry to help encourage self healing and self change. Because of that Biodiversity what I need to reach a body balance, may not be what you need. So we have done occasional Bio scan using a ZYTO Compass . It reads your body chemistry and based off of which markers are out of whack, suggest's oils to help bring you back in balance. It's actually interesting. During the headache I had mentioned before, it had suggested that I needed Juniper berry, Melaluca, and majorjam to balance out, When looking through one of the oil books, it mentions a Migraine interrupter mix of Juniper berry and Helichrysum, it just so happened at that class that someone had an all oil kit, so we gave it a try. Before I could get back to the other side of the room to put the book done, the band of tension around my head was gone. This was a headache I had been deal with all day. so I kinda want to get one of these devices and use it on a more consistent basis and see what it says. but to say I needed juniper berry, and then used it and there went my headache, not too sure it was just a coincidence.

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rebekah

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds