Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Campaign

• Thank you received: 87

Setanaoko created the topic: Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Campaign

I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium today and noticed this campaign they've got going called Seafood Watch. Basically the concern is that fishing has become a ridiculous business, and that there are ways to help prevent needless casualties. Below is a link to their campaign. Thought I'd share it with you :)

www.seafoodwatch.org
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Jax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1767

Kol Drake replied the topic: Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Campaign

Part of my old stomping grounds -- well before the aquarium was ever built though.

Yes, overfishing and 'fad' fishing -- between that and dumping our garbage in the ocean (because folks don't like to live next to a stinky landfill) -- it is surprising we have not already killed off all sea life.

• Thank you received: 1349

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Campaign

Sometimes I'm wondering that people still prefer to be blind and don't see and hear the obvious. I mean, this topic is not anymore new and every responsible human who cares at least a bit for our world and one's surrounding should know and understand this problem.

I like fish and therefore I like to buy it but since a couple of years I do my best to buy only those which show a stamp of Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) or says that they come from a biological resource. In addition I do carry a leaflet from WWF in my wallet which holds the same information as the one which can be found on the Seafood Watch site.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 87

Setanaoko replied the topic: Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Campaign

Interestingly, MSC might not even be the ideal. It's a medium even by Seafood Watch Standards. I stumbled across this when looking at clams (I don't eat shellfish, but I went fish exploring on the site) www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/detail/434/clams-wild-marine-stewardship-council-certified-fisheries-marine-stewardship-council-certified?q=Clams
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1349

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Campaign

Many thanks, Setanaoko, for this information. I somehow thought that the standard of MSC and Seafood Watch would be one and the same. So, thanks for making me aware of that they are not.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds