• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor created the topic: Workaway

www.workaway.info/

I have been thinking about what I want to do after college. Yes, I'll most likely go to Grad school. But, I'm thinking about in between semesters and after college is done.

I have VERY little training in physical labor and outdoorsy stuff. This is a kind of interesting way of easing into the lifestyle. Workaway is an organization that has hosts who host workers. The workers work. The hosts provide room and board. Times are negotiable. So, staying on a farm in Colorado for 3 months could be feasible. Weekends off... could come see Jackie or drive to Grand Junction to see a student of mine.

There are tons of people across the country... I could be a nomadic Jedi for a bit.

Some of you may have spent time traveling younger... I never got that opportunity. While I have the time and the money saved, I'd like to learn some labor work skills, spend some time out doors (not all workaways, but some offer this!), and use the system to see Jedi across the country.

Thoughts on these kinds of programs?

I know there's the obvious: quality control. But, sticking to hosts with lots of positive reviews should be a good place to start. Costs? Really as long as I choose places that supply food and shelter, my only costs will be gas to drive and miscellaneous expenses (I'd guess 50-100 bucks a month... I don't spend that much now as a college student!).

*sigh* Am I missing a downside to this? Yes, it's the opportunity cost. I would be losing time to focus on a career. But, at this point, I don't even think I want to do what I'm on track to do now anyway. :P Maybe half a year or a year away from it all will provide perspective on what I really want.

I could meet new people... Broaden my extremely sheltered horizons. I could learn about poverty (some hosts are in poverty), hard work, and escaping a life of entitlement which is plaguing me.

Thoughts? Concerns? Adulations? *shrugs* It's really, really late here. I've called in a sick day for tomorrow. So, I'm just kinda chillin', using words like adulation at 2 AM. :stars

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1332

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Workaway

I don’t know this system You posted here but from my experiences from the several internships – if one would like to call them this way – I can tell You that any experience down this line is worth to be made even if the result afterwards is that this hasn’t been what one was targeting for.

For example during my time at the technical school in Austria whereat I learned about architecture and building side management I did three times four weeks of work on different building sides working as assistant for bricklayers, bar bender and other similar jobs on a building side. After that I spent five weeks during my summer holidays in an architect office whereat I drew floor plans and that like.
Another internship had been working as a security guard for parking slots and the opera also during summer holidays.
During my time at the university – I visited a university of applied science – I needed to do two semesters working practically. The first had been working for a company who produced tubes for different systems for aircrafts. The second had been for another aircraft parts manufacturer in the QA department.
Besides the job on the building side, I didn’t really liked the work I did but it earned me some money and more importantly I could gain quite some useful experiences which I otherwise likely wouldn’t have made.

So, if You feel that this is what You want to do, I would say, go for it! There is no better experience than the one made yourself.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1746

Kol Drake replied the topic: Workaway

If you have never gone dawn to dusk working in the fields of a farm, it may come as a bit of a cultural (and physical) shock. As to how 'good' or 'bad' it is, best way would to be to get in contact with some who have actually done the walkaway program. Get their first hand accounts / insights and see if it your 'thing'. Experience is experience and you can learn things you may never do again -- or find something you decide to do the rest of your 'career' life.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 239

Memnoich replied the topic: Workaway

While I agree with Kol, the other aspect will be the fact, you are no longer a college student. Living costs, more than just room and board, and while you could get away with $50-100 a month, you would be unable to do your main purpose for doing this "Internship", experience. That limited budget, would limit you ability to experience the area and surrounding area. At which case why go elsewhere to do this internship, if you are unable to live and experience that else where. To me it would be like taking a work/vacation to Egypt, working on a dig site, but not providing enough for your self to actually experience Egypt.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Workaway

Yes, but it's more important to be on the dig site than to see Egypt for me. If I wanted to experience Egypt, I'd go on vacation.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Workaway

Are you thinking of this instead of volunteering at a Shambhala center for the summer (as an example)?

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds