Winter Emergency Goodies...

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1762

Kol Drake created the topic: Winter Emergency Goodies...

Winter has pounced on the US early this year. Here is a webpage with the 13 common sense items you should have 'packed' for winter emergencies in your car.

>> Winter Emergency Vehicle Kit <<

Chances are, having some of the listed items can help even if you don't have a vehicle --- the flashlight, maybe even the flares, warm clothing, a handy mini 'tool pack' with at LEAST a decent knife or two, those MREs (( yummy... NOT ! But it is 'survival rations' )) and such.

All part of the Red Cross Winter Emergency pdf listing what to think about clothing wise and general 'items to have ready'.

>> Red Cross Winter Checklist

Of course the same site has stuff on just about any weather / natural disaster you can come up with -- including volcanoes! (( In a variety of languages too. )) So, might be worth a look or three just to see what might apply to your area of the world.

>> Red Cross Disaster Library <<
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 523

Atticus replied the topic: Winter Emergency Goodies...

While I can't argue with most of the logic in the first link, when "stuff to start a fire" is an afterthought, I tend to view the whole page as a sales pitch. Lots of good common-sense advice there, though.

Combine 11 and 12 in a Raptor , which is on my Xmas list this year. I want it for EMS work, but as the link points out, a glass breaker and seat belt cutter can be the difference between life and death in a vehicle accident.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1344

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Winter Emergency Goodies...

This reminds me that my grandpa always had a belt cutter stuck to the centre console.

As for myself, most of those things I do carry with me either on my body or in my daily rucksack which many people find funny but I find it useful and I could make use of it already a couple of times. Be it the Leatherman on my belt, the lights of my bicycle which are detachable and, when not on my bicycle, carried in my rucksack where one also can find a first aider kit some Aspirin and Aspirin C, a small bicycle tyre inflator and, if it is the morning tour, something to drink.

All of that is, for me, common sense but it is very good to get reminded on those things every now and then!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Winter Emergency Goodies...

I agree with Atticus, some of the article is almost a 'sales pitch'... however there are some good bits of 'common sense' wisdom tossed in. The same website has a two part article (looooooong) on basic radio communications and the second half on which are preferred. It reminded me of another posted thread about how we might use radio to keep 'in touch' / locate other Jedi if something huge ever happened.

The best snippet is -- do not buy cheap Radio Shack walkie talkie pairs and think you are going to hear anyone more than a block away from your location. The second article is a good on for the various ranges / uses of radios and that, unless you are already a HAM operator, it might be worth looking into getting a license for those fancy radios they highlight. That or full blown sat phones -- that is if the satellites are still working...

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Is the Raptor sturdy? I ask because nearly all the 'multi-tool' tools I've used to date have been pretty krappy as far as use and durability. (other than the high end 'swiss' army knives... and then they get bulky!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Thank you received: 523

Atticus replied the topic: Winter Emergency Goodies...

The reviews I have heard say yes. I'll let you know for sure after I take mine out of my Christmas stocking and pretend to be surprised... ;)

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

• Thank you received: 79

J. K. Barger replied the topic: Winter Emergency Goodies...

Nice finds- thanks for the links!

My lady just got me an aluminum fire piston this year for my pack!!

Th

Jax replied the topic: Winter Emergency Goodies...

Have you used it yet? To me they seem a bit tricky, but certainly a lot easier than a fire stick. ;-)

• Thank you received: 79

J. K. Barger replied the topic: Winter Emergency Goodies...

I have!! I couldn't get it at first, but with the right tinder and a few practice taps, you can get an ember like POW!!!!

Th

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Seen somone with a plexiglass rod and cylinder slam it onto a table top. And once, with their hand. Think you are right though -- the 'right' tinder makes all the difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds