Self Sustaining Fear

• Memnoich
  • Memnoich's Avatar Topic Author
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 239

Memnoich created the topic: Self Sustaining Fear

Many Jedi have talked about the want to build an offline presence and training center. Most talk about making it self sustaining in order to reduce the need for income once build. Here is a small article about a community that tried to do just that.
Texas State Tried To Shut Down A Sustainable Community

Earlier this year, Texas state brought several SWAT teams to the quiet and peaceful Garden of Eden Community and threatened its existence. In what appears to be an intimidation tactic, only a single arrest was made based on unrelated outstanding traffic violations, and a handful of citations were given for city code violations. Absolutely no drug related violations were found and all inhabitants of the community were unarmed.

Each of the community members present in the house were initially handcuffed at gunpoint by heavily armed SWAT officers. This included the mother of a 22 month old and a two week old baby. As part of the raid many of the crops were destroyed by officers, this included wild and cultivated plants such as blackberries, lamb’s quarters and okra. Officers also proceeded to remove a variety of materials the community had planned to use in sustainability projects like pallets, tires, cardboard and more.

The Garden of Eden Community is a sustainable community geared towards living a ‘high vibing’ lifestyle outside of the confines of how the average person would live. The community believes in coming together to produce the basic necessities of life and they support each other through each step. They grow their own food, live peacefully and since 2009 they have been providing food, shelter and sustainability education classes and workshops to the public for free.

“The Garden of Eden is a New Paradigm EcoVillage located in Arlington, Texas. Here, we live freely, abundantly, and easily. Our purpose is to share with the world the living reality of A Sustainable Community so that others may open to embrace LIVING LIFE FULLY, in THRIVAL.” – The Garden of Eden community

Land owner Shellie Smith is looking for a peaceful and honorable resolution to the matter. She states “The City codes are in violation of our natural and Constitutional rights to live freely while causing damage to no one, and since there is no damaged party, there has been no crime committed on our part. Rather, the City of Arlington has trespassed and committed robbery against us, amongst other crimes, and will be held accountable in a court of law in due time. We have been targeted by the system because we are showing people how to live without it. We are growing more than just tomatoes here, we are growing the consciousness that will allow people to live freely and sustainably, and the system doesn’t want that to be known.”

In the video Luke Rudkowski travels to Dallas Texas to visit Quinn Eaker of the Garden of Eden community. Quinn shares the overall mission of the Garden of Eden community and also speaks about the pressure the state of Texas has brought upon the community by intimidating, fining, and threatening the existence of their community. All this after the community began making their existence more public and teaching others how to do what they do.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: shea (shlomit)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1767

Kol Drake replied the topic: Self Sustaining Fear

Hopping about the InterWebs a couple of nights ago, I stumbled on a site which referred to several similar instances happening in Colorado and other states... where local law enforcement was brought in to basically strip the area bare for 'ordinace violations' (sometimes as minor as not cutting the grass often enough for the neighbors' liking) -- even when the closest neighbors lived a half mile away. More than a few 'off the grid' homesteads and communities have been strong armed into having to 'get back onto the 'system'. Guess political sorts want every cent of tax revenue they can flush out... even as they sometimes rob people of their homes and legally owned land.

• Thank you received: 1777

Jax replied the topic: Self Sustaining Fear

Changing the status quo will be challenging and take time. Fighting the laws are one place to start. Another is to find a place to be more sustainable that doesn't make it illegal. The Praxeum will be on enough land that there won't be a way for neighbors to know what is going on, much less for there to be a city or town to have ordinances. ;-) But there will still be a lot of laws to research, which I don't look forward to.

On the plus side, there's also a strong tradition of living sustainably and off the grid in Colorado. There are many situations to learn from. Thank you for sharing this Memnoich.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Memnoich

Memnoich replied the topic: Self Sustaining Fear

I just know, my friends that built the EarthShip went through a lot of Red tape to do so, almost 4 years of battling the city County before they even began building, and then constant battles while building it. As it stands now, because the questionable building practice of an earth ship, there are hard to sell, hard to insure, and hard to get a loan for. Sustainable living, instead of being encouraged, seems frowned upon anymore.
Back during World War II there were all sorts of pamphlets about "Victory Gardens" canning, raising chickens, etc... Nowadays, if you start trying to be self sufficient, and get off the grid, you are looked at as a kook, some survival nut that needs to be on a government watch list, or those weirdo doomsday prepper guys. All I want is less bills, to know where my food comes from, and to not have to worry about if I'm going to have food on the table.
But I'm a kook.

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

If you live where there is no grid, I'm certain that changes things. I'm not going to worry about being completely off the grid if it means far too much drama. Plus, I don't want to build a praxeum that is just earthships. Those would be for longer term dwellings for those who are interested, and to have at least one for research. I also see using other small dwellings for those who want silence, and a dorm for those who don't. Living sustainably doesn't require earthships, they are just one option. :-)

Things will change in the coming decades quickly to remove power from a few companies and government and sustainability will become much easier to do.

• Memnoich

Memnoich replied the topic: Self Sustaining Fear

I only use the Earthships as an example, I know they are an answer for some, but unrealistic for us, even for just myself, far more work packing the tires than I could handle. some of the ideas are worth investigating the implementation of, water recycling, geothermal mass and passive heating/cooling. For me, the main thing would be reducing what bills the Praxium had as much as possible, to make it easier to sustain, but in doing so that makes it so that we may have a lot of red tape to run through.
I just bring this stuff up because so many are "lets just build the place, make it self sustaining, we'll all do jobs as yoga/martial arts/wine makers, and all will be good", basically noble intentions without real world expectations. I want to make sure when we get set to do this, we are ready for the trials we'll slug through.
{in case you haven't figured it out, I'm a Virgo, I over think things!}

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

I agree. :-) There are a lot of good things to think about just based on this article. At least solar has a strong presence in colorado. :-) And loads of sun. lol Water recycling is going to be critical, I suspect.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1767

Kol Drake replied the topic: Self Sustaining Fear

Here is another news item from Florida -- Court Rules Off-the-Grid Living is Illegal

Seems there is a nation wide law -- "The International Property Maintenance Code" is used in communities throughout the United States and Canada. The code states that properties are unsafe to live in if they do not have electricity and running water.

In this case, the person had disconnected their water and electric lines... and was living off of rain water and solar panels... plenty of both in Florida! And, she was left alone for several years until she was interviewed on local television -- and the next day, city authorities told her she was to be evicted (from the home she owned), due to no running water or electricity (( they never went inside to look what she actually had -- just looked at two dead meters.))

This or similar 'technicalities' is how many folks are being threatened with foreclosure or ejection from their self sustaining homes. Sad to say, local, state, and federal laws are woefully behind the times when it comes to being able to self sustain.

Re: Victory Gardens during World War II

Yes, back then, due to rationing and 'supporting the boys overseas' -- if you did NOT grow your own food, you were considered un-American. Now, if you try to grow your own food, you are considered to be deadbeat subversives.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds