Drinking water made easy

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1826

Kol Drake created the topic: Drinking water made easy

Well, the pdf on survival concerns (the Steampunky material I've posted all over) tells how to make some makeshift filters for treating water so it's drinkable.

A few years back I read of a new thing which was using a semi porous gel as a filtering agent.  Was being given out to African villages to stop the e coli and other 'buggy water' isssues to help bring down the disease/illness due to 'bad water'.

>>  eartheasy   <<

I mentioned this website elsewhere (Jedi campfire cooking) but they also carry a lot of 'green solutions'... one being the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter.  Their $20 "LifeStraw" ((which, did not exist at the time I really needed it  :P  )) is one I'd say might be a 'must carry' for emergencies.
. .
It is a special 'gel' in a tube which you can stick into any water and have the water be pretty darn 'gunk and bug and germ free'.  

Note:  The 'personal lifestraw' only filters down to a level which *might* still let some viruses through.  The "family" lifestraw has added iodine beads and an even smaller filtering 'size' so you are pretty well protected even from that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 529

Connor replied the topic: Re: Drinking water made easy

That's a beautiful invention. :)

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Thank you received: 1840

Jax replied the topic: Re: Drinking water made easy

Interesting. Definitely useful for backpacking or following a problem with the local water supply. I'll have to look into it. I wonder what the shelf life is. Oh, found it. Three years. I'll keep this in mind.

• Thank you received: 2

Macgilleon replied the topic: Re: Drinking water made easy

Query to consider. What is it's usage? If it's reusable in that three year span then cool but if you use it to guzzle some brackish water, then say wait three days and use it again are you just using a contaminated piece of kit or is it good to go?

Defend and Protect, through Knowledge and Experience

• Thank you received: 1

astasophi replied the topic: Re: Drinking water made easy

You can get them in many styles - including a cup with the straw in it.  I've had something like it since about 2002.  You can continuously use them - but you can get some sediment occasionally.  Personally - I've read that most Westerners also add the "tablet" to drinking water as well.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds