Virtual Tour of a Geothermal Plant

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1849

Jax created the topic: Virtual Tour of a Geothermal Plant

I got this link at work today. You can take a virtual tour of a geothermal plant.  According to the person who sent the link, it's a bit technical and there are some aspects that are specific to this area, but it's still a good overview.  Enjoy!
http://www.calenergy.com/aboutus4.aspx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: Virtual Tour of a Geothermal Plant

As soon as I moved into my house my furnace died :o.  As I was having my furnace installed, and I was flat-broke, I was chatting with the heater-guy and he talked about geothermic energy and the instalation of them he's done here in Detroit for major companies.

Now - some households are beginning to get it.

SO COOL!!!!!

We are living in very exciting times for alternative energy ;D

• Thank you received: 1

astasophi replied the topic: Re: Virtual Tour of a Geothermal Plant

Wow...

I just learned I could get my own geothermal "furnace" source for about $10,000.

Buying a new furnace a couple of years ago means that isn't going to happen next year - but in the next five (and maybe sooner if fuel continues to rise) is a likelihood. 

By then I will also have an electric car - and I hope to put in one wind tower.  These are made not too far from my own home - and are used at the Airport for supplimental energy!

In the long run - what you save can really add-up...

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1892

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Virtual Tour of a Geothermal Plant

I am a strong advocate for 'home systems'. 

I understand the desire for the power industry to want to make wind and solar 'farms' -- since they can then tap it and send it out and charge you as they do right now. 

But, it just seemed to me that having a smaller, vertical assembly -- much like the ones you show -- just make more sense.  No high power transmission lines, no transformers and sub stations, etc.  Can not understand why they can't charge for the 'installation' and then a small (less then what most pay now) monthly fee which is 'banked' for semi annual upkeep and maintenance.  They still make money on the 'banked' sums which only come into play when a unit needs 'fixin'.

Geo-thermal would be neat too.
I would have never thought of 'up north' as being a geo thermal 'hot bed'.  :p

• Thank you received: 1

astasophi replied the topic: Re: Virtual Tour of a Geothermal Plant

Many of our (Detroit) large businesses and governmental buildings are going for their own geothermal furnaces because of the incredible money savings in winter.

Frankly - it also greatly increases the worth of a building/home.  In winter heating bills are no joke...  This summer - my highest energy bill (gas/electric) was $85 when we had a big stretch of very humid 90 plus weather.  In winter I do not blink at $250 - and I keep my house as efficient as an 80 year old house can be without a lot of the newest work.

Imagine - with an electric car...  Whooo hooo!  and it's GREEN...

SO AGREED about independent energy.  We definately need an energy grid infrastructure - of course!  But if we can pull away from so much dependence on energy from all sorts of less-than-healthy sources imagine the difference.  Living in an older big city neighborhood as part of the sprawl - it's amazing how much independence we can gain - yet maintain a healthy grid system.

This is such an interesting time to be alive. :)

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds