Making an RPG (tabletop)

• Anirac Morgan
  • Anirac Morgan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 108

Anirac Morgan created the topic: Making an RPG (tabletop)

Staring up my third RPG as GM next time we go home.
This time it'll get pretty epic.

My little sis wanted a "werewolves and vampires" type of RPG, so I'm doing urban fantasy. The plot isn't completely worked out yet, but the baseline is.
Humanity is slowly growing extinct, which spells disaster for the supernatural world, as they are their main food source. Also warring between the supernatural species has decimated the world, and there are few cities in which the supernaturals live in peace. The council of one such city recieves information that a group of humans have hidden away humanity's last hope somewhere in the wilderness. If they can get a hold of this, they can control this last hope and save their food source from extinction, possibly once and for all gaining power, and also peace between the supernatural species.
I'm gonna start it off in this town, and the first session will be about earning a place in the team that will be sent out to investigate and bring back what they find. Sort of like hunger games, with slightly less fighting and more manipulation/puzzles. Second session will be their journey through the wilderness and last will be the return to the city and how things finally end up.
This will be the first RPG I make that'll stretch further than a weekend, so it's gonna be fun. Thinking that my sister and I can even trade the GM role after it starts, so she can take the second part.

Funny though, I made a list of 15 or so species for the kids and respective boyfriends/girlfriends to choose between (we're now an RPG group of seven, lol) and thus far they have picked Succubi, Ghost, Reaper and Zombie... So no werewolves or vampires yet :P Which was kinda my goal in making a ton of interesting species with cool individual species related abilities. I wanted them to get more creative. Also made 10 or so classes for them to choose between.

Now just to work out locations, events, enemies, storyline, mini-quests, etc.
So much work, but so much fun :)

So guys, any plot ideas, event ideas, puzzle ideas, etc, is very welcome!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "There's always a bigger fish."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 242

Memnoich replied the topic: Making an RPG (tabletop)

Lost histories, ancient bloodlines/civilizations, source of the supernatural, hint at it being after Earth, like there was a nuclear war, or some kind of cataclysm that slowly, over 100's of years lead to where they are. Introduce the idea they they may have once been human, or a correlation of human to supernatural, figure out that the worlds population isn't changing, i.e. as a human dies, a supernatural is born, their soul swaps from human to supernatural. Introduce areas that seem like something they should know, see if you can get them to realize that they are playing in their own state, only 100's of years after the cataclysm. have them go searching through the halls of their school for something.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anirac Morgan

• Anirac Morgan
  • Anirac Morgan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 108

Anirac Morgan replied the topic: Making an RPG (tabletop)

Ooh... Interesting stuff here :)
Thanks, I'll definitely take a second look at this and see if I can use some of your ideas for world building lore and playing experience!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "There's always a bigger fish."

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 242

Memnoich replied the topic: Making an RPG (tabletop)

if you have ever read Terry brooks: Shannara Series, that's kinda where the idea came from, there's a good mini-series based off of it on MTV (of all channels, WTF, MTV? I would think SyFy, but I digress). Basically there, the daemons come through from another Dimension, and end up causing the world to end. Slowly they pic up the pieces and start anew., mostly takes place in the north west, mostly Seattle Washington area, but just the thought, as a DM, knowing that you are taking them through their old haunts, buried, changed, deformed. Their old high school is now a dungeon, their favorite coffee shop a cave, even finding documentation about themselves or their family,...So many possibilities, but the thought of knowing all of this, dropping hints towards all of this, and seeing how long it takes before they realize, and can they then prevent themselves from meta-gaming, fun on so many levels.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1819

Kol Drake replied the topic: Making an RPG (tabletop)

Props !
and Visuals...

I used to whip up 'ancient maps' or 'scrolls' by inking brown ink on fake parchment paper. Rub it with some coffee grounds, singe the edges with a candle flame... poof... instant 'ancient map'. Of course, you could also do this with 'clues', puzzle poems, or even 'old clue photos' (grab some from a flea market?).

The neat this with these 'tangibles' can be... they need to hold on to them or keep track of them. If not, the 'extra clue' might turn up missing at a critical moment!

Props -- again, either stuff from home or another reason to hit a flea market.
Beat up candlestick, wonky bowl, junk rings or necklaces... each might be 'of importance' in some way (connected to a puzzle or even laying on a map to highlight a specific spot or ... the ancient gravy bowl of Cthulu you needed to pour that really crappy bottle of wine you found on that table in the dining room for the important dispersing spell later!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds