DARTH MAUL: Apprentice - A Star Wars Fan-Film - discussion

• Thank you received: 117

Tsjêbbe created the topic: DARTH MAUL: Apprentice - A Star Wars Fan-Film - discussion

Don't know if anyone has seen this video. I know it's about siths but it is an awesome star wars universe movie and Il think it's interesting to talk about / learn from it.
In the books he doesn't know how to use the force because Darth Sidious couldn't train him like a sith (rule of two - only two siths may live, a teachers and a student). So I don't understand the fact that he uses all this force pushes/chokes and the video. But wel yeah... it's fan fiction...
Still I think we can learn something from anger here. Anger can be a very powerful force. I know from experience it gives me focus (on the subject of hate of course) but also physical strength. We see two examples of two forms of hate here. The hate of a sith (he is known with the sith code... meditations) and he knows how to channel this form of force (see it as a form of energy that is controllable). While the padawan goes in total rage mode and (probable) sees only red, it blinds her. You can look at it as some kind of wild nuclear energy. So yes, I think hate is a strong power, if used wisely and sparsely. Know when to stop it so it won't destruct you and everything on your path.

Also some kind of meditation if anyone has anger issues that I learned in the past. If you are angry, start meditating at that right moment. Imagine driving, or running. Even swimming is possible. Just something that goes fast. Try to totally give in to this speed so it coincides with your hate. Than try to go slower, control it at first, and slower, and feel how slower you go how you leave the hate behind. Even imagining some kind of track behind you helps.

"Little decisions over time make a big impact on our lives.” - Eric Samuel Timm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1826

Kol Drake replied the topic: DARTH MAUL: Apprentice - A Star Wars Fan-Film - discussion

It is a misconception that HATE makes one strong / stronger.
Hatred does not make you any more powerful or weak(er) than any other emotion. Yes, it can make you FEEL powerful but, like all power derived from emotion, it is an unstable and temporary power.

From Psychology Today, June 2011 -- the full article can be found at >> The Paradox of Anger <<

When one gets mad,‭ one's throat is roused and one's voice gets louder. ‭ ‬Inside, one may feel a certain indescribable strength.‭ Biochemically, the emotion does in fact‭ "‬empower‭" ‬one. ‭ When someone feels threatened -- whether it is a contentious spouse or an unnervingly long red light -- AND one feels comfortable confronting this perceived danger -- one's body automatically secretes adrenaline. This is the hormone that unquestioningly follows the mind's directive and, reacting to the most primitive of dictates, prepares one to do battle.

But such chemically manufactured strength is mostly illusory.‭ ‬
What needs to be kept in mind is that anger exists primarily to help ward off threats to whatever one unconsciously links to one's welfare. And the very fact that something outside yourself feels endangering does not suggest inner strength at all. Rather, it hints at an underlying vulnerability -- or lack of conviction about your resources to maintain mental and emotional equilibrium in the face of perceived adversity.‭ In most cases, the outward provocation is not related to imminent physical harm. It is simply tied to your ego's feeling under attack. And having this subjective experience of being aggressed against typically suggests a fragile ego far more than it does a strong, resilient one. Conversely, the stronger and more secure your sense of self, the less likely you are to react to a person or situation as menacing.

... More than anything else,‭ ‬anger is a defense. It is expressly designed to safeguard you from distressful emotions, such as feeling anxious,‭ weak,‬ inferior, guilty, rejected,‭ ‬or -- alas -- unlovable.‭

And not only can anger help you conceal feelings of fear, inadequacy, and self-doubt by turning them into external conflict. It can also keep at bay states of depression, and emotional pain generally. Embarrassment, humiliation, guilt, and shame -- as well as feelings of refusal, dismissal, and abandonment -- can all be buried (however temporarily) beneath the self-righteously moralistic (or "morally superior") camouflage of anger. However weak you may feel deep inside, you can fool almost anyone -- including yourself -- into believing you're strong if you can successfully obscure such vulnerability through the smoke screen of anger.

And, of course, given the spontaneous adrenaline production linked to getting mad, anger does in fact energize you. Additionally, it can assist you in overcoming fears about taking assertive action in situations that clearly violate your rights. It can also be viewed as an asset or strength when it's used tactically -- to forcefully affirm your wants and needs in circumstances where otherwise you might not be heard, or even taken advantage of. Sometimes, maintaining a healthy self-respect may require nothing less than putting your foot down, through what I'd call controlled anger.

To sum up, though anger -- paradoxically - -is generally a reaction to feeling weak, powerless, and out of control, it does to a certain extent fortify us. But, overall, such fortressing is mainly artifice. For understood as chiefly a defense against inner feelings of frailty, anger doesn't begin to reflect anything like true strength or resiliency. Ultimately, personal power has a lot more to do with cultivating the ability to restrain our impulses, not simply forfeit to them.

(So, what to do instead of 'hate' / react?)
Being able to accept, moment to moment, whatever happens to you -- without somehow feeling obliged to retaliate -- is crucial. It's essential to learn how to emotionally distance yourself from outward provocations, regardless of whether they were actually intended to rile you. And the primary qualities that facilitate such healthy detachment include: patience, tolerance, forebearance, fortitude, acceptance, and forgiveness. These related aspects of a well-adjusted personality aren't simply virtues. They are strengths, signifying the kind of self-control requisite to discovering inner peace, tranquility, and a sense of well-being.

Impulsively losing your temper when things don't go your way is, frankly, all too easy. Any two-year-old can do it. It doesn't require the least self-control. Allowing people and situations to destroy your equanimity through angry acting out has nothing to do with personal power. Rather, it connotes emotional weakness and susceptibility--a kind of "characterological impotence." So though anger is almost always meant to protect feelings of vulnerability, it actually symbolizes--or betrays--this vulnerability. On the contrary, living a life in accordance with the opposing qualities I've listed above allows you to be (to adopt an oxymoron) "comfortably vulnerable."

Lastly--and perhaps most paradoxically--when you become angry you invariably feel like a victim, at the woeful effect of circumstances beyond your control. And such an experience is hardly consonant with conceptualizing anger as giving you back your strength. Certainly, it may restore your illusion of strength. But true strength is about rising above your situation, not taking it so personally that you react with some adult version of a temper tantrum. Patience, acceptance, forgiveness--and all the other qualities I enumerated as "anger antidotes"--demand self-discipline, and a willingness to accommodate yourself to the unalterable framework of human existence. You need to realize not only that some things can't be changed, but that--in order to live a life of contentment and joy--you really don't need them to change.

As has been said by many people in many different ways, happiness is a function of acceptance. Anger, on the other hand, is about resisting what is. As such, anger--or more precisely, habitual anger (or resentment)--isn't simply a weakness. It's a path leading to a lifetime of frustration, dissatisfaction, and misery. Given all that I've described here, it should be obvious that everything you can do to better control your tendencies toward anger will be richly rewarded.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Tsjêbbe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds