• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1893

Kol Drake created the topic: (Another) Shooting

Pardon my non Jedi language...

Again, some jerkwad walked into a place and shot up the place. 50 dead and 53 injured. And all because he had some imagined gripe against others.

The reason why I even give this idiot notice is what was on the news channel I happened to flick to while munching on my bowl of rice. A talking head speaking on how this is a random 'thing' and it could happen to anyone at any time -- and then he went right into what we teach in Situational Awareness lessons... KNOW your exits; LOCATE positions which can give cover or concealment, etc. He barely touched on all we teach but... it was weird to hear someone 'not on this forum' talking about stuff we think everyone should know as part of being 'Jedi'.

ANOTHER jerkwad used this incident as 'proof' he should be in charge of the country. The logic fails me other than -- he's opened his mouth again... and totally ignoring the deaths and grieving families to , instead, rant on his own greatness. Times like this, I wonder how we got to this crazy mixed up place in time and space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix), Atticus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 453

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: (Another) Shooting

I've been wondering that a lot lately too.

I posted a quote by Walter Anderson on FB, and I'll post it here too: "Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have - life itself." ~ Walter Anderson

I'm choosing to use this as a call to action myself. Like you said, we are training as Jedi to help when (unfortunately it is now 'when' and not 'if') these situations arise. And, now that you bring it up, I think I might brush up on my situational awareness as well.

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: (Another) Shooting

Every day I remind myself of where I could hide if there was a shooting, and how to escape, along with how to fight. And then party of me says I'm being paranoid and putting energy into what I don't want to create, and the other party says to be cautious. Where I think I have it figured out is looking at the energy of it. If there is an energetic charge, then that's the fear kicking up and it needs to be cleared/resolved so it isn't creating what I don't want to create. If there isn't then I'm simply in basic preparation mode and making sure I'm not caught completely unaware.

The other struggle is seeing so many people REFUSE to consider anything to stop this from happening in the future because we 'can't stop criminals'. The impotence, even from Jedi, makes me want to explode. It's illogical. We have tackled many other areas where it was impossible to get to zero issues, and we've made significant progress to reduce harm. Yet somehow people are convinced that guns are different and we shouldn't even try because of some document written well before any of these situations were imagined much less reality. At a time when the founding fathers were more concerned about avoiding a standing army due to all the problems it created with Britain. That's why we have the 2nd amendment as it stands. It does not apply to our modern life in my opinion. All the arguments for it now are simply propaganda that feeds on our fears so the gun manufacturers keep making massive profits off us. And people keep dying. In numbers higher than any other civilized country in the world.

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1893

Kol Drake replied the topic: (Another) Shooting

The US is all about it's 'freedoms'...
That's cool... and sometimes weird.

We have the 'freedom' to own a weapon if we obey the laws governing each type. It is odd how the US outstrips every other country for ownership AND gun violence. The US 'averages' 8 weapons per person -- that is, every man, woman and child seemingly owns 8 weapons.... which is insane. What that really means is some folks have a couple of dozen weapons each... I'm not saying someone can't own weapons -- heck, if I had the cash, I'd love to get some 'authentic replicas' of the old Western colts or some rifles from 'over time' as well as some of the cool handguns they make today. BUT.... I don't hunt. I enjoy plinking targets on a range. I hate cleaning weapons afterward -- same as when I was in the military. And all this doesn't include some neat bladed weapons I'd like -- just because...
:P

Still.... in my opinion, no one NEEDS a semi auto or full auto weapons to hunt wild game. If you can't hit it in a shot or two.... you need to get to the range and practice if your goal is food or sport. A 50 round clip is not 'for sport'... it's for killing. Yes, the NRA lobby says, it's not the guns 'at fault', it's the shooters.... but then they lobby and pay to cockblock any legislation which might curtail the sales to 'those shooters'... even so far as to stop the FBI from even collecting the data to show how often and which styles of weapons are most used. (fyi -- thanks to newspaper research on 'shooting incidents' -- it appears it is more than 1,000 incidents since 2010 and the 'preferred' weapon seems to be the AR-15 (the civilian model of the old Viet Nam era M-16))

Better background checks stop some. Not all. Not selling extended magazines will stop some. Not all. Not selling AR-15s and similar weapons will stop some. Not all.

BUT, as Jax pointed out, "not all" should not stop us from even trying.
Sensible reforms can make a difference without infringing on the 2nd amendment 'rights' .... even those mis-interpreted by the gun lobbyists.

Now... as for 'being wise' versus 'being paranoid'.
Situational Awareness is common sense. If a fire happened or a car suddenly smashed into the front wall of the store/eatery or the hurricane sirens start blowing or the power goes out while in the big box store.... craziness is sure to ensue. Being 'aware' is the smart thing. It's not paranoid. Like Jax said, it's the 'energetic intent' as much as anything. Imparting paranoia to the 'why you are doing it' does more damage than wisely 'being aware' for general safety.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus, Jax

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 249

Memnoich replied the topic: (Another) Shooting

As far as the gun topic, I'll agree that we disagree and leave it at that. I'm not saying, no legislation, I'm not saying that Assault rifles are needed in civilian world.

If someone wants to do something, they will find a way, Planes fertilizer, etc.. there are many ways, so please don't take my stance on guns as being we shouldn't do it, but I believe it needs to be done right. Blaming guns for Mass shootings is like blaming McDonald's for obesity issues we have in the states. While legislation will help some, it is looking at the symptoms, not the cause. Going after fast food restaurants will not help people eat healthier. Education, much like is discussed for Racism, Sexism, culture-ism, is what is needed. The proposed legislation are not about fixing the issues, they are about disarming the populace, plain and simple. The 2nd amendment still applies today, unless you think our government is completely uncorrupted, and beyond reproach, and that there is no need for the states to one day defend themselves from an out of control government.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

And yet we've improved car safety, road safety, and engineered ways to make it safer for humans to be the same error prone people we are. Even with fast food, the pressure is on and they are making their food healthier so that even without behavioral changes it isn't quite so negative on society.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 249

Memnoich replied the topic: (Another) Shooting

again, not saying legislation is not needed, but the right legislation is. get rid of all guns, and there will still be ways. the focus shouldn't be on the symptom, but on the cause. Forcing fast food to offer "Healthier" choices(ha, what a joke), does not educate people into what they are doing to them selves, or why they should choose better. That's just to placate the squeaky wheel, it's not fixing anything. Using this tragedy to further a political goal, is just despicable. removing guns is not the answer. Yes better legislation would make things more difficult, but they will still be able to do this. Comparing gun control in its current state to cars, would be like saying, no one should be able to drive, because a few people are bad at it. Making the roads and cars safer, is not comparable to the currently proposed gun legislation. Apples and oranges, they don't compare.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

But we do have data on what happens when you legislate by looking at other countries.
www.vox.com/2016/2/29/11120184/gun-control-study-international-evidence?yptr=yahoo

It gives us a starting point. The problem is, the pro-gun lobby doesn't allow it to go anywhere so we can see any benefits.

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM
  • Thank you received: 90

Brandel Valico replied the topic: (Another) Shooting

This article pretty much sums up my view

www.mintpressnews.com/the-facts-that-neither-side-wants-to-admit-about-gun-control/207152/

studies that point to reduced instances of “gun murders,” not murder.

My issue with most anti/pro gun arguments is that depending on what the focus is and how the questions are asked statistics can and are often bent to fit the agenda of one group or the other

HOMO SUM HUMANI A ME NIHIL ALIENUM PUTO

Actually, in large scale studies of all countries, all murders did go down, but at different rates.
www.vox.com/2016/2/29/11120184/gun-control-study-international-evidence?yptr=yahoo

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds