Mindset by Carol S Dweck, Ph.D. - How to help yourself and others learn

• Thank you received: 239

Baru created the topic: Mindset by Carol S Dweck, Ph.D. - How to help yourself and others learn

Mindsets

This is a wonderful book for teachers, instructors, coaches, guide and Jedi. I found that this book helps me reframe my wording so that I am sending the best message I can to inspire myself or my student. I feel this is also a wonderful way to talk to friends and partners. The book helps you phrase statements that focus on internal personal capacities verses innate or "born" traits.

The two main mindsets depicted in the book are "Fixed" and "Growth" oriented mindsets. For fun I refer to "Growth Mindsets" as "Flow" or "Fluid" mindsets due to the alteration.

"In a fixed mindset students believe their basic abilities, their intelligence, their talents, are just fixed traits. They have a certain amount and that's that, and then their goal becomes to look smart all the time and never look dumb. In a growth mindset students understand that their talents and abilities can be developed through effort, good teaching and persistence. They don't necessarily think everyone's the same or anyone can be Einstein, but they believe everyone can get smarter if they work at it."

Fixed Mindsets:
Fixed, static, inherent, static, innate,

Growth Mindsets:
Learn, grow, enhance, evolve, develop, improve,

"fixed mindset" believe that abilities are mostly innate and interpret failure as the lack of necessary basic abilities, while those with a "growth mindset" believe that they can acquire any given ability provided they invest effort or study.

Growth states that everything we do is learned. Yes, some people have ease or challenges with learning different things, but we can learn anything we want. I like that perspective and I do my best to present that in my classes. I want me students to know that they can "do most things" if they really want to.

Other mindsets are:
Abundance mindset and scarcity mindset
Productive mindset and defensive mindset

Examples: When praising a student, avoid judgmental, conditional or comparative statements like, "You are beautiful" You did a better job than other students" I like you when.."

Focus on the aspects that you want to affirm like studying, work, practice, persistence and etc... "the work that you did really paid off". "Look at what your efforts achieved". "Well, that did not seem to work. What did you learn from it? What can we do differently this time?" " You picked out a beautiful outfit for tonight" I can tell you put effort into your make up, you look beautiful."

Now as we all know, we are not perfect and we have no idea how people will interpret things. I could go mad trying to read the signs so that I say things accurately. And referencing things like physical looks always seems to be filled with landminds, :P . So do your best in applying these concepts.

I enjoyed reading this book and I look forward to implementing these mindsets into my teaching.

This books works well with NLP New Code, Drive, Extraordinary Minds and other Self-improvement books. Great for parents and teachers.

We are the Force.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1840

Jax replied the topic: Mindset by Carol S Dweck, Ph.D. - How to help yourself and others learn

I have read a few articles on this, but not this book. I am working to incorporate growth mindset with my daughter, but it's really hard. For one, her understanding isn't based on the words. So my energy at least is growth focused even if my words could be better. But as she grows it's important to keep using more beneficial wording. Thanks for the reminder about this book

• Thank you received: 239

Baru replied the topic: Mindset by Carol S Dweck, Ph.D. - How to help yourself and others learn

words and energy matter. Coherency is the most important thing for kids. Once kids learn the worlds, they will continue to track the energy around them. They will pick up on the disconnect or the continuity between the words and the vib.

Thank you for the work you are doing as a parent.

Keep on growing.

We are the Force.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds