American Women Didn't Get Fat in the 1950's

• Kerena (Atanaihawke)
  • Kerena (Atanaihawke)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 183

Kerena (Atanaihawke) created the topic: American Women Didn't Get Fat in the 1950's

AUTHOR: Averyl Hill
I'm a follower of this author's blog Outdated by Design, so I definitely had to check out her book on Kindle.
Her research compared the diet and lifestyle of the 1950's with our world today, and she discussed modern vanity sizing vs us in measurements back in the day. True, we ate more butter and various other foods; but plates were smaller, there wasn't high fructose corn syrup in everything, we weren't big on margarine, and we didn't need the gym because even working women did house chores a lot more frequently. Where the encouragement to be fit and healthy was stated more kindly, things have now gotten hostile and out of hand. We used to take pride in our homes, we were more active in our community, and we were suspicious of all of the convenience foods that we now consider staples.
The author showed weight and height calculations from various years and it got ridiculous as time moved forward.
We have things a lot easier now, but my mother still keeps house like nobody's business, she's almost 80, and the only pills she takes are vitamin supplements. We lost something along the way. Take the old values, add the new information on nutrition that we have available to us today, and we can be better off than we are now.
Her book encouraged me.

I am that I am, the Love of Spirit.
I am that I am, the Peace.
I am that I am, the Joy.
Namaste!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1840

Jax replied the topic: American Women Didn't Get Fat in the 1950's

I kept thinking, yeah, because they were taking speed. But that was the 60's and 70's when all the diet pill fads were big right? In any case, there's a lot to be said for eating cleanly. It's something we're working on here. Since I was laid off we've cooked a lot more at home. While pasta isn't from scratch, it's still more satisfying to eat a home cooked meal than something fast. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kerena (Atanaihawke)

• Thank you received: 1424

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: American Women Didn't Get Fat in the 1950's

Unfortunately this feels to me to be a much bigger topic over in the USA as it is here in Europe. With that I don't want to say that over here all is good. Actually far from that. But still, if, especially, one compares the sizes and portions it had been very interesting for me to see the difference between Europe and Japan. What is considered a normal size meal at Mos Burger in Japan would only qualify as a small one here in Europe and you might not even be able to get this size over in the USA!?
The most interesting film I watch on this topic had been, I guess it is not a big surprise, "Super Size me". If you haven't seen, I strongly recommend to get hold of it and watch it.

For me, it comes down to being aware of what we do and what we eat. Unfortunately it feels like that a lot of information what had been common sense got lost on the way to the recent days and now it seems like we need to learn everything anew.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Kerena (Atanaihawke)

Kerena (Atanaihawke) replied the topic: American Women Didn't Get Fat in the 1950's

I enjoy pasta, even tried to learn how to make it from scratch once... It was my aunt's specialty.

I am that I am, the Joy.
Namaste!

• Thank you received: 87

Kai Sabu replied the topic: American Women Didn't Get Fat in the 1950's

I used to follow the blog that led to the creation of this book! She had some interesting observations, though I do think that she can fall into the common trap of looking through rose-colored glasses at the "good ol' days." :)

The most compelling things to me were those recommended height/weight charts and how they've changed over the last 60+ years! It's definitely an eye-opener. I've also noticed that characters in older movies who were considered "fat" are in a weight range that we would probably consider "normal" and "healthy" today.

--Kelly
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax, Kerena (Atanaihawke)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1826

Kol Drake replied the topic: American Women Didn't Get Fat in the 1950's

There *is* something to be said for eating healthier food stuffs -- ie. no preservatives or chemically massaged sugar substitutes.

I do wonder though. In the 1950s, plenty of women wore the equivalent of 'full body girdles' much of the time. I suspect it was to gain 'that desired shape' -- whatever it was back then... but, still... we are talking about molding the body other than what Nature and nurture provided.

And, as some have noted -- what seems 'full bodied' back then might be called 'edging toward the hefty side' by others today. No different when the painters of the day had nude rubenesque woman seen as sensual (full bodied meant rich enough to gain real, meaningful food on a regular basis!) -- with many today thinking -- boy, why did they paint all those nude fat ladies? Styles change. Attitudes change. Twiggy was a 'thing'. And, was the wheel turned, stick thin models became a thing again and then fell out of favor (again).

Short or tall. Thick or thin. We are as we are. We should all take care of what we 'have'. It's common sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Jax, Kerena (Atanaihawke)

• Kerena (Atanaihawke)

Kerena (Atanaihawke) replied the topic: American Women Didn't Get Fat in the 1950's

I agree. The comparisons are what got to me too.
I also talked to a friend who used to work in a lab up in Washington state; he only uses butter and he told me we don't WANT to know about margarine, we just need to steer clear of it. Good to know!

I am that I am, the Joy.
Namaste!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Kai Sabu

• Kerena (Atanaihawke)

I do feel better when I eat unprocessed or minimally processed food... :)
This is my week for cutting out/reducing processed sugar... Lots of fresh fruit and veg in my week, thankfully!
Styles do indeed change - and I love and accept what I was given to work with, I mainly want to make it healthier... :) It's a good feeling.

I am that I am, the Joy.
Namaste!

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds