Planned Chat Schedule

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1822

Jax created the topic: Planned Chat Schedule

Starting in 2012 we're going to have periodic scheduled chats to increase communication and build community.  We envision this occurring in two ways.  First, every quarter I will host a chat where I update you on what we're doing behind the scenes. I'll let you know what we've accomplished in the past quarter and provide our goals for the upcoming quarter. You'll have the opportunity to ask questions, provide feedback, and in general have a better idea of where the Institute is heading.  I will also post a summary of this information on the site for those who can't attend the chat, as well as posting the chat log.  As a general rule they will occur in the first two weeks of each quarter (every three months).  The first will be in January, most likely the weekend of the 14th. 

Second, we want you to be involved in creating chat topics. We'd like to encourage everyone to find a topic they'd like to discuss and then find a time they want to discuss it.  This doesn't require anything formal, just a few discussion prompts on a topic or two of your choice.  This can include current events, topics of study, or even fun things like everyone watching Star Wars at the same time.  What this can do is provide you experience in leading a discussion, overcoming fear of leadership, and bringing up different topics of interest that the faculty wouldn't think of.  It can also break down the perceived walls that ideas have to come from the top down here. 

You don't have to wait until January to introduce chat topics. Feel free to do so anytime. Just be sure to post a week in advance to allow time for people to see your post, whenever possible.  Initially we're looking for volunteers, but don't be surprised if you're in a class and are asked to run a chat. ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.
  • Thank you received: 17

Tothian replied the topic: Re: Planned Chat Schedule

Here are some of my thoughts/questions/suggestions:

1- Where do these chats take place? Is there one chatroom that the members here usually use? If so, where is that at?

2- You mentioned stuff like members getting to watch Star Wars all at the same time some times. In www.tinychat.com - people can make their own chatrooms, with video chats, voice chat, and also regular typing included as well, and would encourage anyone to make their own room and/or have an official one linked with this website/forum. Or at least try it out to see if you like it. There is an option where the Administrators of the room can play YouTube videos in there, so that everyone can watch stuff together.

3- Conference Lines. Those are cool to have and use because you can have countless members on here all on one phone line. If you have one or more than one, awesome! You (by that I refer to anyone reading this) can PM me, I can give you my cellphone number, you can either give me the conference line number and access code. OR, if you want, I'd be willing to allow that some of my Conference Lines be used for meetings and such. Those have the advantages that chatrooms don't have, as in, you can be anywhere and still use them. It does get harder to get a word in there if there's too many people though, sometimes. But they're still a lot of fun to have.

• Thank you received: 1407

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Planned Chat Schedule

@Tothian - which browser are You using to watch the IJRS? Normally You should see a box at the bottom which tells You how many people are at the side and which chat rooms are available and if someone is in a chat room.
When Jax schedules a chat for the IJRS we are using them.

Unfortunately it seems to be that there are some issues with this box/plug-in, as I'm not able to see it at work when I do use a portable version of Firefox. But at home, where I use the standard version of Firefox I do have no problems of that kind.

So, first, have a look if You see this box. If not, check your security level of your browser. I'm not too sure if there is a connection between that or not but might be a point to start from. If You are not able to see the box, maybe You can try another browser.

I hope that this does help!?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re: Planned Chat Schedule

Planned chats are announced as they are scheduled. I didn't do a good job of getting individuals to step up and host like I wanted to. The point is to reduce my work load (I can't do everything, even if I want to) and increase availability for everyone to test out being a leader to some extent and get to know people.

The chat is at the bottom. It's hosted outside of the site. While there are options, I don't want to host chats off the site. It gets confusing for people to figure out where the chats are. I'm going to experiment with google+ hangouts this weekend and see if it is easier on processing. I have an old laptop, as do many other members, and that seems to be the limiting factor.

I'll look at some other options when I have time, but it's not a priority. The key to use is that it's here where everyone can see it. The chat bar is the best option I've found so far.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

I looked at tiny chat, but I'm not going to use any service where a person puts in the address and sees semi-clad people on the front page. It's unprofessional.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sarah kehoe

• sarah kehoe
  • Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
  • Thank you received: 76

sarah kehoe replied the topic: Re: Planned Chat Schedule

is this still going on?

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
-Yoda

• Thank you received: 1407

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Planned Chat Schedule

What do You mean with that?
Normally You should be able to see a “Chat” at the bottom of the forum page which might be more or less frequented.
Beside this integrated Chat, Jax is scheduling a “Site wide Chat” quarterly. This should normally show up here within this section.

Another option is this thread Chatting Thread wherein, from time to time people post when they will be in the before named Chat room.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

We need to do another chat soon. Anyone can organize one, simply by picking a topic and a time and seeing if that works for people. I will do one before the end of the year, just need to get settled a bit more (and have more than one computer in the house). Is there a topic you'd like to discuss in the near future Sarah?

• sarah kehoe
  • Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
  • Thank you received: 76

sarah kehoe replied the topic: Planned Chat Schedule

i'll get back to you about that soon. I need to think.

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
-Yoda

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Planned Chat Schedule

No problem. :-) This goes for everyone. If you want to have a chat, propose a day/time (and give the time zone) and we'll see what we can do. I'm too swamped to organize one, but I'd do my best to be there if someone else organized it.

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds