• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1822

Jax created the topic: A summer Academy experiment

An Academy Experiment

Over the years we’ve tried various methods of teaching in the Academy.  Originally courses were offered on a set schedule, with groups of students working on them together with an instructor.  A few years back we decided to try going to entirely self paced training with the workbook format.  This makes for convenience but lacks in the community building and interactions most enjoy when a part of a class.  Outside of this Academy (and its lineage) other methods were used.  One in particular had a year long training program that a single class worked through together.  The best known of these was the Blue Group, led by Chris-Tien Jinn.  In an effort to learn more about what methods of training work best, this summer we’re going to embark on an experiment.  Many experienced members of this community are going to participate, including myself, we’re inviting anyone who has completed the intro course to join in.

The general plan is to work on two courses at a time as a group, working through the courses currently available at the Academy.  We’ll have our own private section of the forum to share assignments and discuss our experiences together.  For the experienced it will be a revisit concepts and exercises, seeing how much you’ve grown.  You will have the opportunity to share your knowledge while gaining insight from other Jedi.  For the beginner, you will not only learn from those around you, you will have the added motivation to train at a steady pace knowing there are others who are actively engaged in your training.  You will find you learn more in a shorter period of time.

Currently the plan is to start with Meditation and Force 101 as Phase 1.  If you have already started these courses but aren’t that far, consider joining the group to complete them.  If you don’t want to repeat these, join in when we start phase 2 and take Communications and Personal 101.  There will be a break between Phase 1 and 2 to allow individuals to catch up as well as to take a general break from coursework. After Phase 2 we’ll evaluate the system and see if we want to continue with some other courses or take a break to attend to other training needs.

Since there is little overhead required to start I’d like to begin May 14th.  I will setup the training area and provide access to you when you sign up.  Further details will be discussed within that area.  If you have any questions or comments, feel free to add them.  Personally I’m excited to return to group training and review the material we offer.  My hope is this is enjoyable and beneficial to all who take part.  And for those that aren’t interested, that is perfectly fine.  There’s no pressure to join in.  It will involve work and perhaps a shift away from your current training focus.  Therefore only do it if you are interested. 

I look forward to reviewing my training and seeing old and new faces. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: A summer Academy experiment

Feeling like already left out of this.

Completed the intro course? I don't feel like going through it, it just doesn't feel right. I am not a beginner, so it feels wrong to play a beginner. Or am I looking at it wrong? I don't want recognition either so I am pretty stuck.  ;D

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 527

Connor replied the topic: Re: A summer Academy experiment

I think I will start at Phase II. :) I would rather keep going how I am in my first two courses. But, I will definitely like to do Personal and Comm. with people! :D

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Feeling like already left out of this.

Completed the intro course. I don't feel like going through it, it just doesn't feel right. I am not a beginner, so it feels false to play a beginner. Or am I looking at it wrong? I don't want recognition either so, am pretty stuck  ;D

Uh huh... I don't think these are meant to make you a beginner. It's meant to reinforce basics that you might or might not need. My best advice: just do it. If you are an expert... it probably won't take as long. ;)

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re: A summer Academy experiment

It's meant to help get a group of beginners through some courses in a different format to see if that aids their learning more.  But it has a second purpose of review for people who took the courses a few years back and want to refresh their memory.  Right now you're pretty busy with organizing your knowledge and working on different ideas. To stop that and look at basic material and do those exercises probably wouldn't be very interesting to you.  

And don't worry about being 'left out'.  There will be plenty who aren't interested in doing this.  However, myself, Phoenix, and Beral at least will go through for a review and to act as mentors to the students who do participate.  Whether this works or not we'll learn things from it that will be applied to future configurations of academy structure.  

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Riddlenox, it isn't going to be for everyone, nor is it meant to be.  However, I'd like you to considering joining in.  You're not that far into it and you can learn from the group by looking back at their responses.  Also, you will get more replies to your current work which will help you deepen your practice.  Since you're also working on the Ashla stuff i doubt you'd stay ahead of the group for very long. 

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

The intro course requirement is there because it is a requirement for any Academy training.  I understand the lack of desire to do it - I've been there too.  But I currently feel the need to review, which is what I'm doing.  If it doesn't feel right, definitely not something to push through.  Review has its purpose, but it also has its time. 

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: A summer Academy experiment

You're right with that.

I was wondering if I could be of any use in that... if I could help with something.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Riddlenox, it isn't going to be for everyone, nor is it meant to be.  However, I'd like you to considering joining in.  You're not that far into it and you can learn from the group by looking back at their responses.  Also, you will get more replies to your current work which will help you deepen your practice.  Since you're also working on the Ashla stuff i doubt you'd stay ahead of the group for very long. 

I know. :) If it looks like you catch up to me, I'll do it. No reason why I shouldn't, I guess.

The intro course requirement is there because it is a requirement for any Academy training.  I understand the lack of desire to do it - I've been there too.  But I currently feel the need to review, which is what I'm doing.  If it doesn't feel right, definitely not something to push through.  Review has its purpose, but it also has its time.  

Yeah. I understand.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

With what Neo?

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds