Ask the Guidance Counselor v2

• Atticus
  • Atticus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 523

Atticus created the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor v2

So it's taken me a few months to get around to announcing my presence as the new acting Guidance Counselor. What that means is you should feel free to come to me with:
  • any and all questions related to the academy
  • any requests for guidance with your Intro course or PLP
  • notes regarding extended leaves for health or family reasons (you need not feel obligated to divulge any information you're not comfortable discussing)
Please also feel free to come to me if you are experiencing "behavioral issues" from colleagues, peers, or even instructors. We expect our members to adhere to a high standard of behavior, and any inappropriate activity will be monitored -- if we can see it. If something is going on behind the scenes that the faculty cannot see, please let us know.

You may post most questions in this thread or send me a PM if you would prefer. If you are seeking guidance with your PLP, however, I ask that you please start a new thread in this subforum, preferably with your name and PLP in the subject line. These conversations can sometimes go on for a bit, and it's easier to track and archive the discussions if you have your own thread for your own PLP.

I'll be working on a FAQ shortly with the most common questions.
:meditate

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix), Krista

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 49

Gokan Skyeshadow replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor v2

How does someone go about getting a guidance counselor for the PLP? I have a few questions about how to fill out the form initially to complete the intro course.

• Atticus

Atticus replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor v2

Hi Gokan,

You can either post your questions here or shoot them to me in a PM, whichever you're more comfortable with.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gokan Skyeshadow

• Thank you received: 49

Gokan Skyeshadow replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor v2

I think I figured it all out for now. I was primarily curious about the introductory course completion date (I left it blank until I hear officially that the PLP was accepted) and if I can count time already spent in the training activities or if the time starts once the intro course is completed. Also not sure what "rank" I was and going for should be. I went ahead and posted it to my intro course forum posting but happy to make whatever changes I need to. Thank you.

• Atticus

Atticus replied the topic: Ask the Guidance Counselor v2

Thank you for asking these questions. Actually, even though we have already probably covered this in your PLP assignment this morning, I'm going to respond anyway; I think these are universal enough that you won't be the only person wondering.

Gokan Skyeshadow wrote: I think I figured it all out for now. I was primarily curious about the introductory course completion date (I left it blank until I hear officially that the PLP was accepted)

Good question. I would put the date you submit the PLP, because it is the last assignment for Intro. Most of the time, we don't leave you hanging too long on reviewing the PLP; I think I was back with feedback and a pass within about 15 minutes on yours. It's not that we don't love having you around Intro :D but my personal feeling is that I like to get you cleared to move on the substantive Novice training without delay.

Gokan Skyeshadow wrote: and if I can count time already spent in the training activities or if the time starts once the intro course is completed.

Well, the ultimate decision will be made by the faculty at the time you apply for your Novice exam, so I don't have a certain answer for you. My own take on it, however, would be that if you have been logging hours while you work through the Intro course, and you do what we ask to relate those hours back to your training (book reviews, training session write-ups, etc.), I would vote to count them. I know that on a limited case-by-case basis, we have made allowances for hours that pre-date even the Intro course, but that has been a rare occurrence and to my knowledge has never made anything more than a slight (say, <10%) impact on the number of hours still to be done.

Gokan Skyeshadow wrote: Also not sure what "rank" I was and going for should be.

Once you have completed the Intro course, you are working toward the rank of Novice. I am sorry that isn't clear; the materials have been assembled at different points during development of the training programs, and I think even we ourselves have been confused at times. Or perhaps I should say, *I* have been, and may not be the only one. :D

Thank you for posting your questions, and I hope they and the responses can help the next person who wonders the same things.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds