Kai Sabu's Training Journal

• Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Kai Sabu's Training Journal

Congratulations. You and Yoshio will be going through this at the same time, though a bit differently. lol

My recommendation, as someone who did that whole thing 2 years ago now (holy crap). Take it easy. Listen to your body and rest a lot. When you feel good, move. And pick up a few key books so you can relax a bit. Start with Brain Rules for Baby. There's good info about what you should and shouldn't do to give your baby the best start in life. Research your various options for doctors. I had a great experience with midwives. They tend to be more holistic. We've learned a lot about what creates the most gentle entrance into the world, and gives the best opportunities for bonding and breastfeeding and not all practices follow that as a standard practice. If you have any questions, just ask. I've learned sooooo much in the last two years, especially about breastfeeding which is the best decision I ever made.

And with that, I'm off to bed. As for your Jedi specific stuff, I would look at what courses are in progress and what it would take to complete them in the coming months. Also, with running, unless you are used to that intensity, I would consider dialing back the distance at the least. And don't let anyone try to tell you to push yourself or anything else. Your top priority is creating a good living space for that baby. If that means you don't exercise for the next year, that's ok. If it means only doing prenatal yoga (which I recommend), that's ok. If it means you can still run, that's cool too. But right now, until you get into the second trimester, that baby needs peace and quiet. And love. :-) You can talk to it already, even though the physical ears can't hear, the baby's soul can. Also, ask it to give you it's preferred name. That's fun. :-D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kai Sabu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 448

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Kai Sabu's Training Journal

CONGRATS KAI!!! I'm sure now is a very exciting time :) We wish you the best!

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]

• Thank you received: 84

Kai Sabu replied the topic: Kai Sabu's Training Journal

I'm back! Learning how to be pregnant (and dealing with morning-just-kidding-all-day-nausea) has slowed me down. :sick: Thank goodness for Sea Bands and Preggie Pop Drops.

I have been meditating regularly, for the last week or so, at least. I downloaded an app with pregnancy-specific meditation, which has been nice to rotate into my usual practice. Thinking positively about this whole experience is important for me, since I have anxiety at the best of times and now I'm going through something that makes even normal people anxious. I've been taking my lunch breaks in my car and have been listening to the meditation with my seat laid way back; it's the closest I can get to a nap during the workday. I'm exhausted!

I've also been listening to my Daily Audio Bible podcast every day, which has been a helpful connection to normality.

I may have to sub in walking for my last hour of running for Novice level. My PCP doesn't want me running until I get the all-clear from my OB-GYN, and honestly, I don't feel like running, anyway. Walking is good. :) I naturally walk quickly, so it's still a decent workout, and it is so beautiful outside that I'm loving the better opportunity to soak in the natural world. It's easier to connect to my surroundings at the slower pace.

I've only attended one Fight Like A Girl class in the past few weeks; the instructor has been out of town. I think much of my training there is going to be stretching, floor drills, self-defense practice (the low-contact parts), and mental attitude. The ladies there are my best in-person support group, so I really want to keep up my attendance, even if I can't be taking falls or sparring for quite a while! Only the instructor knows about Nugget so far, but I'll probably tell the rest of them this Friday so they understand why I'm not able to be the falling dummy anymore (I'm one of the more physically robust students, so I usually volunteered for that role).

I haven't been reading anything except my book club book and "how to grow a human being inside of you properly" stuff. I feel like I'm starting to get some equilibrium back, however, and I know there is a new batch of More Love Letters requests to write, so I'm hoping to get back to that and to reading Star Wars and Philosophy.

Oh! I've reached or mostly reached one of my goals on my PLP. I completed all of the coursework for my CHIS II certification and sent in my application today.

--Kelly
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

yep, that's the first trimester or so - exhausting! I don't miss that, even after a night of very little sleep. lol There's nothing like that deep down exhaustion of growing a tiny human.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1746

Kol Drake replied the topic: Kai Sabu's Training Journal

Learning how to be pregnant...

I was always told -- either you are or you aren't -- there is no 'maybe'. :P

I have been meditating regularly, for the last week or so, at least. I downloaded an app with pregnancy-specific meditation, which has been nice to rotate into my usual practice.

This is great. It is always a 'good thing' when you can find calm (fewer stress biochemicals in the bloodstream and working on the growing 'bun in the over'). Another means of 'helping to keep things positive' is to channel good Earth/Gaia energy into your body (and the wee bun) and then bring down golden energy from Above. Smooth flowing energies in you will help in the final trimester.

You are certainly either pregnant or not, but learning how to be pregnant is a thing. :-)

Another long absence...

We were away on vacation last week, which was much-needed. I was able to walk along the ocean every day, meditate to the waves, and generally rest and rejuvenate.

Everything seems to be going well with the pregnancy, which is of course the most important thing right now. I'm feeling much better in the last few weeks, though I still tire pretty easily. I've been doing a variety of pregnancy-specific meditations and have also been mixing prenatal yoga into my walking routine.

I was supposed to be in my brother's wedding a week from tomorrow, but yesterday they very suddenly called off the wedding and split up. I believe it's for the best, but there has certainly been a lot of drama this week, and my ex-future-sister-in-law picked me as her texting sounding board. I've had plenty of opportunities to practice centering and calming techniques. :P

--Kelly

Glad you got to enjoy some down time. That helps so much! It sounds rather peaceful. :-)

I finally completed an assignment! It only took me three weeks. I'm starting Creed 101, but if this is any indication of my speed, I might not finish it until my kid is in preschool. :lol: I've been really focused on getting as much as possible for the baby squared away before the fall semester starts at work for me and grad school for my husband. I've been cleaning out my sewing room and ordering nursery furniture for it, making freezer meals, visiting daycares, and reading lots of books. I've also been walking, doing prenatal yoga and Pilates, and keeping up with Fight Like a Girl (lots and lots of bo staff and knife-throwing for me these days, haha). Baby is doing great. We aren't finding out the gender, though my husband did sneak back into the ultrasound room on Monday and try to get the technician to spill the beans without my knowledge (she wouldn't). :rofl

While I am a fan of modern medicine and am probably going to be Team Epidural, I do want to investigate options for natural pain management. I've gotten a copy of Hypnobirthing and am really looking forward to reading it and working with the meditations that come with it. It may end up being one of my book reports. From what I understand of the method, it seems like it would dovetail well with a lot of Jedi meditation and energy work philosophy.

Anyway, here is the Beginning Exercise for Creed 101 that I have been chipping away at for 2-3 weeks now!

First over all – how does it make you feel when you contemplate it?

I get a peaceful, comforted feeling when I consider the Jedi Code. It’s very grounding for me. I actually found reciting the Jedi Code to be particularly helpful this past winter when the first anniversary of my grandmother’s death came around. A lot of grief resurfaced for me, and at the time, the Code was a source of comfort from an unexpected place. That connection ended up being what prompted me to investigate the Jedi community and training possibilities.

Next, take each line and record how YOU would define its meaning.

There is no emotion, there is peace. — While emotions can be helpful signposts and are necessary to a full and balanced life, they are not the be-all end-all of our existence. At the core, are you basically at peace with who you are and how you are living your life? Emotions come and go, but seek to have an enduring peace at the center of your being. In the Christian tradition, which is my belief system, Jesus says in John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” Emotions change with changing circumstances, but inner peace from being who and where you need to be is enduring.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. — We should not be content to live in ignorance and keep reinforcing only what we already know and believe. Knowledge, ongoing learning, and an openness to new information and new perspectives are vital to living life as a Jedi (and indeed to life as a compassionate human being).

There is no passion, there is serenity. — This line seems to be almost a repetition of the first one, but I think passion and emotion are a bit different. They’re certainly different in degree. Emotions come and go with some frequency, though they can sway and influence us, but passion is stronger, more lasting, and can feel overpowering. Serenity, I believe, is being accepting of the things that we cannot or should not change (see: the Serenity Prayer) and recognizing that even passion must be kept in healthy bounds.

There is no death, there is the Force. — While our visible, physical presence in this life has an end, death is not THE end. Life itself goes on. Memories live on. I believe that our souls live on. This was a particularly comforting line for me while grieving my grandmother. Something about it helped me to remember that while she was no longer here the way she had been, she had not ceased to be; she had instead fully joined the spiritual realm and is with God.

--Kelly

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1746

Kol Drake replied the topic: Kai Sabu's Training Journal

For my ex, I drew and colored a picture we pinned to the wall -- and she would focus on the image and it helped her zero down and breathe through the contractions. I suppose that is similar to your book - Hypnobirthing - though we did ours in the early 80s. Learning how to do those things now will become handy when you don't have to think about it when the time comes.

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds