Journal of the perpetual Padawan

• Lars Greypath
  • Lars Greypath's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 11

Lars Greypath created the topic: Journal of the perpetual Padawan

My next step will be to download the template for the personal learning plan, which will be done once I have access to a computer again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lars Greypath

Lars Greypath replied the topic: Journal of the perpetual Padawan

So today was the first weekly gathering for the western slope Jedi, and I must say it was a great to see my fellows again. First on the scene apart from myself was Michael Shamus Mahon, who graciously donated two Shinai to our training sword collection. Soon after Preston Sheldon arrived, and for a short time we socialized and simply enjoyed each other's company.

We began some saber training focused on new the York Jedi version of Shii cho (the first section of three) and discussed potential saber training methods incorporating Kenpo, and next week we plan on beginning some choreography, which I am particularly excited about.

Shamus and I, who stayed later, grabbed lunch and talked Jedi. He also gave me some great advice, which I have taken to heart.

We meet up again at a local Starbucks later that evening and discussed our meet up schedule, which will adjusted to Tuesday at 3:30 pm for next week. After Starbucks closed, we weren't back to the park to finish our discussion, where we decided upon weekly "assignments" for each of us individually. Assignments vary from self improvement and force ability practice to community projects and physical exercise. The following are our homework assignments.

Preston:
Create a Grand Junction Jedi Facebook page
Practice meditation
Self doubt
General energy manipulation

Lars:
Follow through
Meditate at least 3 times
Finish previous Jedi assignments (including ijrs stuff)

Shamus:
Register at ijrs! (and stuff)

All: create a 90 day personal learning plan

All in all it was quite the productive day, and a breathe of fresh air, and I am all the more excited for next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 529

Connor replied the topic: Journal of the perpetual Padawan

^^

So cool!!

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Thank you received: 1444

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Journal of the perpetual Padawan

Hey Lars!
I'm very sorry that I haven't noticed your first post here earlier but does it mean that You are officially taking the Intro Course? If so and if You don't mind, I would prefer to push your first post over to the "Novice Training Area" into the Introduction Course Section!? Please let me know if this is fine with You!?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Lars Greypath

Yes, I am, and of course, that is fine. Still trying to figure out the whole forums thing XD thank you, Yoshio!

• Thank you received: 525

Atticus replied the topic: Journal of the perpetual Padawan

Okay, you have a homework thread for your intro course here . It's helpful for those of us who don't browse everyone's journals to keep your coursework in the training area, though if you want to cross-post back to your journal you certainly may. Sorry I missed your first post too; I'll go catch up now.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• Lars Greypath

Had a great time in Denver and Colorado springs this weekend, lots of cool stuff. First off my sister and I met a Buddhist nun, who invited us to meditate and reflect with her at her home. It was a great session, and we got to meet a bunch of awesome people who attend her meditations regularly. After we sat for 30 minutes, we paired up and did a neat reflection exercise that reminded me of social meditation from the Shambhala tradition. We were told to remain in the moment while listening to our partner speak about what was arising in the moment, then reflected to the speaker what we heard. We spoke on which of the five Buddhist precepts (right speech, refraining from killing, stealing, sexual misconduct, and inebriation) we struggled with the most. Mine were right speech and stealing (not in a "I take things that aren't mine way, but rather irresponsible spending). All in all it was a fantastic chance to lean into uncomfortability and look deeper into the roots of these issues. My sister and I hung out for a while longer afterwards to help clean up the tea that was shared, and chatted with Dana (the nun), then drove back to our hotel where we sparred and practiced saber and hand to hand drills before going to bed. We hope to go to the meditation next week, and perhaps bring the youngest sibling along. :meditate

• Lars Greypath

Had the second weekly meet up for Grand Junction Jedi yesterday, and despite the poor weather and lack of saber choreography it was another fantastic afternoon of Jedi camaraderie and discussion. All three of us made good progress on our assignments for the week, and added new homework to the list (new homework assignments at the bottom). We also decided on our first group book, which is titled "No Excuses!" which sounds like an excellent read considering our current assignments. While we sat drinking our starbucks, we also discussed possible meditations to incorporate into our meetings. One idea was a version of the social meditation that happened at the gathering, with a slight twist. Finally, the new group assignments have been updated to establishing a morning routine and increasing the amount of meditation in a week.

Lars' HW: Meditate at least 4 times this week, Finish intro course and chapter 2 review of "Mastery"

Preston: get paperwork together, start ijrs courses

Shamus: work with 90 day plan
The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix), Connor

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 452

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re:Journal of the perpetual Padawan

I love that you guys are getting together so frequently and super jealous. I think I'm going to try a Skype option with you guys so that I can somewhat participate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds