Anirac's journal

• Anirac Morgan
  • Anirac Morgan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 109

Anirac Morgan created the topic: Anirac's journal

Since I had my first session with Krav Maga yesterday, yet nowhere to write about it, I figured it was a good time to start up a training journal here. It will likely consist mostly of Krav Maga experiences at first.

I was so out of shape, it was really tough. After the first 15 min (aka the warm up) I figured I was likely going to die, and not make it through an hour and half of training. I did however at that point remember Qui Gon and his fight with DM. (does not stand for dungeon master). And I remembered someone at some point writing about how this was a good lesson in fighting, conserving energy. So, for the remainer of the session, whenever they called pause to explain something I was down on my knees immidiately, to breathe and gather up some energy to get through the next exercise. So, eventually I got through it better than I thought I would. During the elbow punch exercise I had to take a few breaks, worrying a bit on how my bad shoulder would take this beating. But the instructor said I did well, so I took those small breaks with a clear concience. Better be a bit careful with it until I know whether or not it will make my shoulder worse. The crotch kick I did well too, for some reason. Hardest was the straight up punches, I kept getting corrected with the foot position. Likely because I have trained some martial arts in the past, I found myself automatically slipping into ... well, I am not 100 % sure, but I think it's the position I learned when doing Tai Kwan Do as a child. I did two years of it, didn't think I learned much though (it is a long time ago), but apparently enough to make it hard to get used to the fighting stance of Krav Maga, lol. The right foot is supposed to be closer to the left foot, and both feet are supposed to point forwards. My right foot kept sliding too far back, and I would twist it so it pointed more sideways. So, while punching I had to stop before every punch to correct my feet, and that was a bit distracting, lol.

It was fun though! Got a bad burn on the elbow and feel tender all over, but it was very fun! So, looking forward to thursday and the next session.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "There's always a bigger fish."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1474

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Anirac's journal

Ah, that is the thing with “body memory”! It happens unconsciously and needs a lot of conscious effort to “correct” it! I can tell You a story of that as I’m doing martial arts now for quite some time and just last Tai Chi Chuan class I heard me teacher telling me that I should not do the Tai Chi movements Karate style! :) Maybe here You need to know that Karate had been the first martial art I got in touch with and that this is now already something like 20 years ago and about 15 or so since I stopped training Karate.

Having done some sort of “friends meeting friends” training with Krav Maga guys and also in general for any martial arts, I can only strongly recommend that You and everyone who might read this make sure to get the basics right before moving on as all impreciseness one let slipping in, one will carry with one all lifelong.

Anyway, good to hear that You had fun in your first class and very well done on the application of the fictional Jedi.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anirac Morgan

• Anirac Morgan

Anirac Morgan replied the topic: Anirac's journal

I am fairly sure I put in good effort during that Krav Maga session, because my body feels like it's falling apart/burning today. It hurt yesterday, today it's worse. My shoulders are worst off, but my thighs and feet hurt too. Geez, I knew I was outta shape, but this is ridiculus. I feel like an old woman at the moment, lol. And it has me somewhat concerned that my shoulders are hurting so badly. It's hard to know what is normal pain after exercise VS signs that it has made my shoulder issues worse. But I got some pain medication in lotion form to put on my shoulders, and I'm off to another training session today. I really hope it's just a case of "it has to get worse before it gets better". I am very excited about the Krav Maga, and I really don't want to be forced to quit because of joint issues.

Thank you, Yoshio. I will definitely focus on getting the basics right, and interesting point on body memory. I checked it up and it was definitely the Tai Kwan do stance I kept sliding into. I'll pay extra attention so I can "unlearn what was learned" on this one, because fighting stance really is elemental. You don't have the right stance you won't get the technique right either.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1923

Kol Drake replied the topic: Anirac's journal

Cross Country / Track running and martial arts... getting properly 'stretched out' and warmed up is essential BEFORE doing the workout as well as a moderate to mild 'warming down' period after. That and two Alieve and rubbing the problem areas with Tiger Balm!

Now if you had a heated hot tub to sprawl in afterward, you could soak those aches away.

Yes, I know, 'they' say that cold is better than heat but, I'd rather sprawl in a hot tub than spend it sprawled in a tub filler with ice cubes. The general 'rule' is --

Use cold for acute pain or a new swollen/inflamed injury.

Use heat for chronic pain or an injury that is a day or more old.

• Anirac Morgan

Thank you, Kol, and sorry that I have forgotten to answer your PMs. Been kind of all over the map lately, so been hard to get to everything. I very much appreciate your advice! I'll see if I can get a hold of some tiger balm, maybe that will help.

How about doing hot/cold variation? Because my shoulder pains are chronic, but the session on Tuesday probably made it inflamed again.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1923

Kol Drake replied the topic: Anirac's journal

You know your body... and what is chronic and what is "why did I sign up for this torture?" :P

Just keep a wary eye / sense open so that something chronic is not made worse with extreme over 'activation' / excessive wear and tear.

(( I am still having this thought in my head -- so, she decided she needed a little more movement and maybe some physical conditioning -- so she decided learning how to kill an army with her pinkie was 'a good idea'??? ))

Seriously, my proverbial hat is off to you for making the leap and effort.
Best of luck... and when we someday meet, a smile is better than a killing hand shake. :silly:

And don't sweat the IM responses.
I offer advice and/or encouragement and figure you are busy putting it all to good use.

• Anirac Morgan

Lol, you were very right, Kol.

I thought my shoulders were healed to the point where they'd handle martial arts. As it turns out, I was wrong. At first I figured it was just natural pain from me not being used to exercising. However I most likely now have inflammation in both shoulders, I'm going to the doctor next week to figure it out. My girlfriend got to say; "I told you so!" *weary sigh while she's rolling her eyes at me*.

So, at least it gave her some satisfaction. It's never so bad it's not good for something!

Which totally, totally sucks, because it was really fun. I ignored the pain from the first session to do the second, and the weekend after, not to mention the workdays, the pain was kicking me! So, I'm on pain meds now. At least it made me angry enough to demand that I get a proper check up, I'll demand x rays and everything. These shoulders have messed me up for about a year, and every time the doctor just gives me a prescription for pain meds and tell me to "suck it up" (not in so many words!). Now that it's stopping me from doing something that's really fun I have had enough. I want to figure out what the heck is wrong, what kind of exercise can I do? What kind of exercise can't I do? Is it a fully chronic issue or would changing job help? Point is, I don't know enough about the issue to plan anything, and I really hoped this martial arts training could help me build upper body strength to lessen my shoulder issues, because I read that it could.

Though.
Bottom line: my own fault!

Sigh :(

• Thank you received: 1474

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Anirac's journal

Maybe not necessarily your own fault but for sure a lack of knowledge. Because of that I do feel it is a good thing for You to really go for and requesting from your doctor that this time it needs to be sorted out completely so that You get the chance to plan with it.
One thing I just would like to throw into this is a story one of my teachers once shared with us when back in school. He had problems with his shoulder as well and through x-ray they could find out that there is a sort of “chalk” debris/deposit in the joint. The doctor told him that it can only be handled with an OP but that there is no guarantee that it will not show up again. Because of that my teacher denied the OP and went into a self-study or better said food research with which he could find that one special cheese he liked to eat is likely to cause that kind of “chalk debris/deposit” in one’s joint.
Long story short, make sure You get as much information as possible so that You can start from a good base to make your decisions.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Anirac Morgan

Yeah, I really need some solid answers at this point. I am not the most assertive, so I yield a bit too easily to authority brushing me off. It would help a lot though if I could figure this out, because accepting something is much easier when you know for sure what it is you need to accept, lol. If the verdict is I have to avoid that kind of strain on my shoulders then I can find an alternative. It is just easier done when you've got all the information you need to make the best choice. I considered swimming too, before committing to the Krav Maga, because I enjoy that. Not committing to anything else though before I get that proper check up!

Ah, well, I am not kicking myself over this for now, just packing it down until tuesday.
Thank you, Yoshio

The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• Anirac Morgan

Personal Learning Plan

Name: Anirac Morgan
Advisor: Connor
Date: 12.2.15
Rank working toward: Novice Rank

Integrative Practice Hours

Date Completed by: 30.6.2015 Number of Hours: 50

Activity 1: Volunteer work at Mental Health Support forum 10 hours

Activity 2: Moderating at the JCO on FB (Jedi group) 10 hours

Activity 3: Expanded theory studies (ex. comparative religious studies,
philosphy, New Age/Wiccan material)
10 hours

Activity 4: Meditation practice 10 hours

Activity 5: Physiotherapy (for shoulder) 10 hours

Total Hours = ___50_______

Institute Courses

Course: Intro Course.
Completed on: 10.2.2015

Course: Creed 101.
Completed by: 31.5.2015

Course: Jedi Studies 101.
Completed by: 31.5.2015

Additional Goals:

CPR Certification: __7.11.2013 (need renewal) _______ if none: Date of Completion:

First Aid Certification: _7.11.2013 (need renewal) ________ if none: Date of Completion:

I get these through work; I won’t get a chance at renewal before some time in 2015. They do yearly renewals and run-throughs of FAC and CRPC in a course set up by Norwegian People's Aid for all co-workers at the office. We do basic FAC and CRPC as well as how to use a heart starter machine, which we have at the office. Certification evidence is easily provided, as I keep the card in my office drawer. However it’s only valid for a year at the time, so I need a renewal.

Personal Goals:

- Less overly critical self-assessment, more enjoyment in studying and growing on the path. Increase my motivation and confidence.

- Work more with my mood managing, ensuring health in mind and body. More work on personal challenges is included.

- Find a good form of exercise that doesn’t worsen my shoulder issues, other than beginner Yoga and dancing.

- Become a more positive and adaptable person.

- Become a better person and Jedi

Obstacles you face in achieving those Goals:

- Mood disorder with episodes of depression, and some anxiety issues
- Stress management issues
- Working in a job I don’t really enjoy
- External factors triggering negative fall-out and mood disorder episodes
- Bad time management ability + stress management issues worsening this ability

Solutions to those Obstacles:

- Change body with someone less chemically imbalanced (jesting!)

- Work on increasing my knowledge of and ability to do mood managing through self-help techniques (DBT & CBT)
- Increase my knowledge of and ability to meditate with intent and favorable result
- Work on various grounding/cleansing/shielding techniques to lessen the affect from external sources
- Plan for the future, yet work on finding contentment in the now through changing focus and perception to see/feel the positive in smaller things and happenings.
- Practice planning and setting limits for myself to better time management skill. Shorten the list of what must be, should be, could be and would like to be. Keep awareness over what’s what, and how much time I ought to spend on each.

I was asked to modify # 3 so I've made an attempt to. Basically, it is meant to cover research done outside of Jedi studies here or elsewhere. For instance, broadening perspective by picking up a book on a Buddhist take on SW mythology (yep, using Dharma of SW as an example here). I'll review this again after work, and think about what else I could put in as a recplacement if it's not acceptable :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Atticus

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds