Volund Starfire's Training Journal

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1813

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:Volund Starfire's Training Journal

Very cool.

With my limited knowledge of 'all things martial artsy', I thought Qi Gong was a variant of Tai Chi. I meet a fellow almost 2 decades ago who practiced QG -- but not the 'just flowing and floating' style but the more martial... and even worked out with his sword in his forms.

Figure many forms that are 'commercially acceptable' toned down the more 'attack/defense' aspects to get the general public to try as 'moving meditation' instead of "add more and you can snap their pinkie" stuff.
:P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Volund Starfire

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1828

Jax replied the topic: Re:Volund Starfire's Training Journal

Sounds like an awesome experience, both on this day and going forward. I'm sorry you got screwed by that guy as well. It sounds like a challenging experience but I hope you don't give up on your clothing designs.

By the way, I personally would be really interested in having an aikido type class at the gathering. I'd like to discuss this with you at some point, perhaps over email since my schedule is a bit crazy yet between nursing and baby caretaking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Volund Starfire

• Volund Starfire
  • Volund Starfire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Jedi Paladin
  • Thank you received: 51

Volund Starfire replied the topic: Re:Volund Starfire's Training Journal

Kol Drake wrote: …I thought Qi Gong was a variant of Tai Chi…

Yes and no. Qi Gong is to Tai Chi what Kung Fu is to Shaolin. It’s the metaphysical training component within the purely physical art. In practice, it is the form for aligning the body, breath, mind, and energy to better understand the art.

The closest equivalent within Aikido is the difference between Ki Society and the Russian combatant Aikido. If you look on youtube, you can find many videos of the hard Aikido being used to strike and subjugate opponents. However, Ki Society teaches flow and using your energy to redirect their energy. I guess it would be the mental/energy as opposed to the purely physical.

Figure many forms that are 'commercially acceptable' toned down the more 'attack/defense' aspects to get the general public to try as 'moving meditation' instead of "add more and you can snap their pinkie" stuff.

In the groups I hang out with, the “snap your pinkie” training is referred to as a McDojo. The place where, as long as you pay your monthly dues, your belt fee, your testing fee, and your equipment fee, you are guaranteed to get your fifth green stripe on your yellow belt or the gold braid on your third black belt. It’s the more ‘pay to play’ model for the participation trophy seekers.

Jax wrote: Sounds like an awesome experience, both on this day and going forward. I'm sorry you got screwed by that guy as well. It sounds like a challenging experience but I hope you don't give up on your clothing designs.

If life weren’t difficult, it wouldn’t be any fun. But, I am already working on a redesign for the store (to include new model pictures so the gentleman doesn’t find it. However, I thank you for your sympathy to my situation.

By the way, I personally would be really interested in having an aikido type class at the gathering. I'd like to discuss this with you at some point, perhaps over email since my schedule is a bit crazy yet between nursing and baby caretaking.

I completely understand, and congratulations. Feel free to email, PM, facebook chat, pony express, or smoke signal me. Whichever way of communication you are more comfortable with.

For a single class, it would be more of a demonstration than a class, but I am sure I could incorporate some instruction into it. I would be happy to speak with you about any details. Wow, though; two classes. I guess I have to go now. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 242

Memnoich replied the topic: Volund Starfire's Training Journal

I'm curious about the assigned books he's having you read, being the book nerd that I am.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax, Volund Starfire

• Volund Starfire
  • Jedi Paladin

Volund Starfire replied the topic: Volund Starfire's Training Journal

Memnoich wrote: I'm curious about the assigned books he's having you read, being the book nerd that I am.

Master Cheng's New Method of Taichi Ch'uan Self-Cultivation

There Are No Secrets: Professor Cheng Man Ch'ing and His T'ai Chi Chuan

The Essence of T'ai Chi Ch'uan: The Literary Tradition

The Tao of Star Wars

The report of my illness grew out of his illness; the report of my death was an exaggeration. –Mark Twain

• Volund Starfire
  • Jedi Paladin

Volund Starfire replied the topic: Volund Starfire's Training Journal

I shall be updating my PLP over the week and posting an update of what I have been up to over the months I have been absent. My posting will also become more regular as I am able to free time up that has been dedicated to study and vegetative amusements with which to calm my mind, neither being healthy in the levels I was partaking.

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds