baru's trainng journal 101

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: baru's trainng journal 101

Baru wrote: I do like to describe my meditations as scuba diving in the deep of the ocean. feeling the cool pressure holding my form with nothing around me for my mind to connect to. Floating in space while held by the Earth. Only the sound of my breathing to keep me company and remind me that I am still "human" and material.

This kind of description almost sounds like a trance state. There is a big difference between the kind of meditation you will be doing in the meditation course and a trance. I'm not saying there was anything wrong with this meditation that you did, just that for the meditation course I want you to do something else. While doing the meditation exercises, I want you to be completely there and completely aware. It should not feel like you are scuba diving, but rather like you are sitting right where you are. There should not be cool pressure and nothing to connect to, but rather you should feel the temperature of the air and there should be a million things to connect to (though you should avoid connecting to them unless the exercise asks you to). There is no floating, though you might feel the gravity of the earth a little. And you should surely hear more than the sound of your breath (unless you are meditating in a sensory deprivation chamber). Meditation is not about cutting out those sounds and other sensations, but rather about letting them register in your mind without hanging on to them or letting them distract your focus.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 239

Baru replied the topic: baru's trainng journal 101

I get what you are asking and i could benefit in reading an example of what you would like me to be writing.

I can give a very physically oriented description and taking in my "moment". that seems limited to be and I can appreciate the concept behind it. To me that reads like "just sitting" there. I am hyper aware of my surrounds. I notice the fly in the room. the spider on the floor. the people walking past outside. The rain on the roof. the smell and texture of the air that I am breathing. I can feel the hair on my arms reacting to the temperature and the movement of air. I can feel the air brushing past the hairs in my noise. I can do a report like this but it seem very limited and physically and mental based. it reads like my "minds eye" kind of stuff. This is my minds perception of my body's five senses.

Is that what you want? is this meant to be an "awareness" and perception based meditation? Am I being asked "am I aware of my surroundings?" Does this course want to know if I can see, feel or sense the grass growing?

We are the Force.

Each exercise will have it's own specifications of what you should be particularly aware of and some of them may ask for this kind of detail, but in general, I want you to find a middle ground between the two extremes. I want you to be fully present and fully aware, but not letting any of those details attract your mind. Being aware of those details is not limiting at all, but rather allows your mind to start taking in all sorts of information that it never notices when you are thinking about something. It's different from normal sitting because normally our minds wander off in all sorts of different directions and I want you to keep your mind open and not follow any path. But yes, in Zen we have a phrase that says, "Just sit!" You shouldn't be "doing" anything. You shouldn't be thinking. You shouldn't be trying to accomplish something. You shouldn't be noting things for later. Just sit! Once you learn to just sit and have a clear mind, then when you do other exercises where you actually do something (say feeling the force), your meditations will be even more powerful. For Zen, just sitting is an end in itself, but it doesn't need to be. This course tries to use that process to launch into other meditations. So each exercise may ask you to focus on something while meditating or may ask you to think back on the exercise and comment on things, but they all start from this idea of being fully present and fully aware without thinking about any of it or letting any of it attract your thoughts. It's an impossible task to have no thoughts get stuck in your mind at all, but practice can help us to "think" less frequently and for shorter periods.

Then when you are writing up your exercises, you don't need to describe every thought that flashed through your brain, but perhaps if you find a thought returning over and over, mention it. You also don't need to mention every physical sensation that you were aware of, but if something disturbs your "no mind" for a prolonged period or repetitively, it's worth bringing up. For the exercises in this class, we're not looking for you to feel the Force or develop some deep spiritual awakening. We just want you to practice being aware and controlling the mind. So yes, we want you to be aware physically and mentally, and if you have a spiritual awareness that you would also like to comment on, then please share it. But don't try to achieve some state or limit yourself to only spiritual accomplishments. Open yourself up and be aware of all of it without thinking about any of it - then comment on what you experienced in all aspects.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Meditation

Sitting at my desk, preparing for work - I enter into stillness. before I work, I stop. I sit. I move into stillness. I feel the chair. i feel my feet barefoot on the rug. I feel my fingers touching the keyboard. I am feel my eyes coming to focus. My mind running through the work I need to do. I can hear the door creaking in the wind. I can hear the people walking outside my office. I can hear the hum of of the computer's hardrive. I can see the flickering of the screen. I feel the temperature of the room on my skin. I am aware of the fly that persists to remain in my office. My thoughts sort through yesterday, today and tomorrow to outline my schedule and to determine my process for the moment I am in.

I put on mood music to assist me in setting the tone of the work I am stepping in to.

I prepare to dive into my emails to clear the field so I can get my other work done.

We are the Force.

Force - intuition -

I am doing the warrior section, too. I read the last assignment and I figured I would go deeper with one of my answers.
then I read through my responses by the instructor and he asked that I respond to the question in a deeper way.
That is amazing. I trusted my intuition. it came up as a notion. As something that I should do. and it was accurate.

We are the Force.

Was the most recent meditation post intended to be a meditation exercise from the meditation 101 course? Perhaps I misled you. My requests are only with regards to the meditations for the course. Between a post leading here from your meditation course journal and such simple descriptions of meditations here, I thought you might be posting meditation course exercises here. I didn't mean to ask you to change anything for meditations that are not specifically for that coursework. That is a nice post and something like what I want for your meditation course exercises, but please don't feel obligated to describe every meditation you do in that way.

- 14th Dalai Lama

It was a simple response to the concept of mediation. It is an exploration of living in meditative state.

I put "meditation" as the "topic" to signify what I am relating to. If I am responding to a specific assignment I try to put the title of it in the reply.

This is my Journal of my process and experience. I will be posting my "journal" assignments here and my assignments and exercising in the main thread under the main topic of meditation.

We are the Force.

READ and do:

Forum
General Category
Esoterics
Working With The Force by Kol

We are the Force.

communication

I am enjoying this exploration into communication. One of the things that interests me is why is arguing acceptable. Why do we allow, promote and accept people yelling and screaming at each other? Why are parents allowed to yell in front of or at their children? Why do I have any impulse to yell or get frustrated. I am frustrated by my tentensy to be frustrated,lol.

I look forward to letting this tendency go. I look forward to clearing it form my field. I need to get here first and then I can expect others to honor this in my field. I want to move into a place where we are love and we communicate from a place of love.

We are the Force.

I get to go skiing everyday that there is snow on the ground. I skiied to work today. I love winter.

We are the Force.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds