Travis' Training Journal

• Jedi Travis
  • Jedi Travis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8

Jedi Travis created the topic: Travis' Training Journal

Entry #01
I've been training in what could be constituted as "Jedi" training for many years. I would say that it hasn't all been consistent, nor has it all been focused. I am an atheist and I tend to steer clear of over "spiritual" or "religious" concepts, but there is no doubt the benefit that comes from meditation and living in a Jedi manner.

For me, "spirituality", or that which invokes awe or reverence, isn't a religious concept, or even a mystical one. I am held in sheer awe of the cosmos and the interconnectedness that all life and even inanimate objects share. Pondering the vastness of it all is a deeply touching experience that I can only label as spiritual.

I find peace in the outdoors. Mountain tops and conifer forests are where I experience the best meditation and the greatest depth of thought. I have recently found great personal growth in wildlife rehabilitation, handling wounded raptors. I am forced to remain calm, exude peace, and be very aware of surrounding hazards and the bird's body language.

I am here, once again, to focus my training. I feel that I have reached a point in my life that I can devote myself to this.

The first courses I am taking are Creed 101 and Jedi Studies. I have started with Creed 101 first.

The beginning exercise calls for me to record what feelings I experience when I read the Jedi Code:
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force.

I feel that it is quite difficult to determine just what I feel. I feel fond of the Code in that I feel that its intent is to be a reminder of Jedi behavior or philosophy in the situations it is most needed. It is all too easy to respond with frustration, anger, sadness, fear, and all our other myriad emotions. The code seems to be a grounding tool. Living a Jedi life isn't an every day way of living, but we are every day humans, so the code provides a place you can turn to to keep you on track.

"There is no emotion, there is peace."
Obviously, there is emotion. Yet it is emotion that most often causes problems in critical situations. A Jedi is a mediator, a counselor, a voice of reason. Allowing our emotions to get the better of us and cloud our judgement leads to rash decisions. We can't possess every perspective, and our emotions are only one of many. Maintaining peace allows fairness and clarity of thought.

"There is no ignorance, there is knowledge."
We cannot know everything, but we can do our best to be as knowledgeable as possible. Knowledge leads to informed rational decisions. To me, this line is a reminder to keep learning to dispel our ignorance, and to dedicate oneself to learning something new every day.

"There is no passion, there is serenity."
Excessive passion is connected to strong emotion. In the wrong situation, passion can lead to very bad decisions and serves only to narrow our views in any given situation. By achieving serenity, we can prevent tunnel vision and keep a clear mind so that we may proceed with caution, fairness, and clarity.

"There is no death, there is the Force."
I choose to view this probably in a less mystical way than most Jedi. I feel that we are all connected in the sense that we are all star stuff, composed of atoms from ancient stars, that we share with every other object, living or not. Energy cannot be destroyed, so when we die our energy and atoms return to the world. I choose to view this as a reminder that after we die, we again become a part of the massive pools of energy and return our essence to everything that remains. In a sense, this means there is no death.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jedi Travis
  • Jedi Travis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8

Jedi Travis replied the topic: Re:Re: Travis' Training Journal

Entry #02
I have been having great success using the Jedi code as a mantra and reminder of my training. There are so many different inputs we receive throughout our days that it's a wonder I managed without a steady reminder like the code.
The past few days have been great. My wife and I discovered we are having a baby girl in November (one happy daddy, I am!) And today is my birthday. My son had a sleep over last night and I was able to get some much needed relaxation. I also was able to jam with my uncle-in-law, playing some Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, and some jazzy tunes. I really lose myself in the flow of music, and that feeling of being locked in a groove with another person puts a big dumb grin on my face.
Today I will begin Jedi studies alongside my Creed course. Monday I begin schooling for a degree in wildlife sciences, and I really couldn't be much happier at this time.

• Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Re:Travis' Training Journal

Sounds like a fun night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please forgive typos

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds