StormyKat's Training Journal

• Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Re:StormyKat's Training Journal

While in person groups may be more beneficial when you go, since going is a challenge, I'm going to challenge you to join an online group. I just joined one on facebook that I can invite you to. It's totally low key. Or maybe just pair up with an accountability partner, like Boom who is also a writer. Or Shamus who needs to start a book. If you aren't friends with him on facebook I can link you. Basically, let's work with where you are at right now and take one small step forward.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1746

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:StormyKat's Training Journal

Was just reading a book.... and the author had an interesting line...

"It takes a lifetime to write your first novel; and the second one in a year."

Writers write. Every day. Like brushing your teeth.
It is not always "another page in the novel"... it can be 'an idea to use some time later'; a character write up; thoughts on a rainy (or sunny day); random ramblings. The constant is -- you write. Every day.

Once it becomes a part of your daily routine, then you can start focusing on THE Novel... or short story... or biography... or latest rumors your Feline Overlords have shared with you. (come to think of it... how scary would it be if, each night, they are whispering great secrets in our ears as we sleep!!!)

ahem... ANYWAY... in person or online... as Jax noted, it helps to have others there to inspire (or nudge) you along.

Now, sharpen that quill and smooth out your parchment. May the Muses be plentiful.

• Katie (StormyKat)
  • Katie (StormyKat)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 453

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

My stress levels have been through the roof the last few weeks, thus everything else fell away. It has been all I can do to relax when I get home from work (and it doesn't look like it is going to get better anytime soon). My face literally hurt from the tension. My left eye has been twitching for about a week straight. (I think some of that is computer eye strain so looking into getting an eye exam). Stress makes it about impossible to write. I just can't find the energy to write or be creative. But on the other hand, I have gotten the fire going under me to work on that cat blog again. Because I need to get away from work and the stress. And I would really like to get some income from writing. Also it is a great project to work towards.

In other news I am taking part in a Mindfulness Challenge on Twitter with some other people I have met through #thebloggesstribe. For the month of September we are all trying to fine tune our mindfulness skills. I have been having mixed results. The first few days were really bad because of the stress. Now that we are getting into double digit days I am starting to get a little better. At the very least I am noting when my mind is racing, even if I am not mindful I am at least aware that I am not mindful. It helped calm me down yesterday when I had an anxiety attack the minute I woke up. I just was so stressed and freaking about the million things I had to do. I was also nervous about going camping last night. It was my first time and I was so nervous. I noted my anxiety, rode it out a bit while I finished stuff. I started to calm my mind while I showered, then sat down and meditated. I had low level-I am out of my comfort zone and there is no central plumbing anywhere-anxiety much of the afternoon and evening. But I was also so present in the moment. We went on a hike, and enjoyed a delicious pizza. I got to see deer running on the sand dunes. I stared up at the stars and the brilliant full moon in the pitch darkness. It was wonderful.
It was wonderful to get away even for a little bit. I think getting away from social media and the constant news streams were the best parts of it. I can stay glued to my phone reading about the hurricanes, fires in the west, earthquakes and social justice issues plaguing us right now. And then I freak because I can't do nearly enough to help and I don't have the money to support myself, let alone other causes. So it was good. For the first time in a few days I am calm and peaceful.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1746

Kol Drake replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

“I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"

Death thought about it.

CATS, he said eventually.
CATS ARE NICE.”

― Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

See... even cosmic types know how special feline overlords are!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Katie (StormyKat)

• Katie (StormyKat)
  • Katie (StormyKat)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 453

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Cats are nice. :)
I'm reading my first Terry Pratchett right now... Good Omens. And my friend has a plush Death on his couch.

Cats are nice. Especially when they are super energy conductors. I woke up from a dream the other night and I was so angry from the dream. I couldn't get back to sleep I was so bleeping angry. Thankfully Sneakers is an energy super nova, so I touched him and said "take this!" and then passed out. It was helpful. Thou gh I spent all day Saturday agitated from the dream...anyhoo. Cats are nice.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio)

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds