StormyKat's Training Journal

• Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

The reason you got errors was because you were pasting from wordpress, which likely includes some hidden characters. It has nothing to do with word count. So yes, you can post them in your journal. If they are book reviews, they go in the book review board. And I recommend having a way of finding those quickly later. Perhaps write them up here, then copy/paste into wordpress. Then you won't have issues with it, and you can tag it in a way that is easy to find in later years. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Katie (StormyKat)
  • Katie (StormyKat)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 453

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Re:StormyKat's Training Journal

Actually the time I had errors posting, I wrote it up here, then pasted to WordPress.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Jax replied the topic: Re:StormyKat's Training Journal

Ok. That's weird. Maybe a temporary glitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please forgive typos

• Katie (StormyKat)

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Just checking in, since I feel I have been particularly silent lately.

Last few weeks have been a tad crazy. It was brutal at work this past week, beyond stressful. I was so exhausted when I got home from work I didn't have energy for much. I have been trying so hard to work on my de-stressing because I could feel the stress taking a toll on my body last week. My mom is out of town this week, which means I have been in charge of the house, the cats and my dad. Mind you, my dad is perfectly capable of caring for himself and works a big ol' "important" job with lots of responsibilities. If left to his own devices though, my dad seems to be completely helpless at home. So I have been cleaning up after the cats and my dad. It is exhausting. I suppose it gives me a bit of a better appreciation for what my mom has to deal with on a daily basis though.

On top of all that I am getting ready to go out of town for a few days. My work hours have made it hard to get anything done--like go to the bank, so that is all waiting till the last minute, unfortunately. I have to get all the medications and directions ready for my old-man cat. Leave directions for my mom and prep things in case there are emergencies so she knows what to take to the vet etc. Since my mom has nothing to do with medical care, this is a bit overwhelming. It's also terrifying for me to leave him right now. I worry about him; he is old and his body is shutting down--as all old bodies do--and I feel like I am the only one who understands all his quirks and when to give meds, when not to. Plus my young cat is going to be lost without me, he has been following me around like a shadow this past week. Then we still don't have everything planned for vacation--going to Comic Con International in San Diego. The whole thing just makes me vaguely anxious. Travel makes me anxious. Last year many things at the con just angered me. Know there is a good chance I once again won't get to do the one thing I want to do because of crowds is annoying and anxiety producing.... :stars

So this is all basically to say hi. I'm somewhat still alive. Focusing on surviving each day. And I haven't had a chance to work on my PLP or classes. BUT! I did cook last week! (something on my PLP) YAY!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Jax replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Hang in there. No matter what happens, never feel guilty for living your life. No matter what. When I started my current job, I went off to training and my cat of 18 years decided it was a good time for her to die. Honestly she chose that time so it would be easier and not put the burden on me. So remember, no matter what happens, it's their choice of when to go, and how to survive when you aren't physically there. It's most likely that everything will be fine though.

Enjoy your trip. Have fun, see some cool things. Maybe even share some pictures when you return? :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Katie (StormyKat)

Hello all! Checking in from humid, not currently sunny, San Diego and Comic Con International! Having a good time, but excited to get back. You all have been in my thoughts much the last four days, and not just because of the mass if Star Wars merchandise and panels. I have been much more grounded this year than I was last time when I came. I am actually enjoying myself, and I credit that lots to the work I have been doing here and with my therapist over the past year. Trying to stay focused on the positive and on the moment. Enjoy each moment for what it is and reach down inside myself when I am frustrated. Staying focused n my own needs instead of listening to the stupid little voice that wants to compare myself to others when I stay in the hotel at night. Which has been especially important since my friend has spent much of his night time out at bars.

So much more to write, which I will do when I get home. Can't wait to share pictures. Oh and for those untested the Star Wars Rebels show looks pretty awesome. (The English Major in me in having a bit of a conniption because "Star Wars Rebels" won't italicize...stupid tablet...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

Jax replied the topic: Re:StormyKat's Training Journal

Excellent! Looking forward to more info later. Have fun!

• Katie (StormyKat)

It has been so hard getting back to real life after vacation. For five days I was in the bubble known as Comic-Con International. There was nothing horribly serious to worry about. The rest of life got pushed aside for the immediate here and now. It was glorious. While I was excited to return home to my family and my cats, I was not eager to resume the life I have. My therapist and I talked about how I was being willfull and causing myself extra suffering. Whoops.

I had the hardest time readjusting--getting back to a schedule, doing things that would move my life forward, returning to work. I was lucky that I took Monday off, worked Tuesday and then had Wednesday and Thursday as my normal days off this week. Tuesday I was useless. Wednesday and Thursday I eased back into routines. I had my weekly psychiatrist appointment, took the cat to the vet (work on an off day, fun!) did stuff around the house, picked up my Jedi Code 101 packet. I napped less (shorter nap times each day! I've never slept so much in a week as I did this week!)

I am trying to find a way I can get back into daily life without picking up the anxiety that comes with it. I need to focus on the immediate while still having long term goals. Looking to the future without worrying about it. I enjoy being relaxed, calm, and happy. Planning without over planning/worrying would be fabulous. It has taken 4 to 5 days to resurface from vacation. I don't know if that shows me how desperately I needed that vacation, or how desperately I need to make changes to my life, if it was just an awesome vacation, or if I am just over-thinking things. :cheer:

Anyways, hopefully I am back. I have started contemplating what the Jedi Code means to me, and working on my essay on volunteering to help me move to my next rank. Can't wait to rejoin the conversations!

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1746

Kol Drake replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Needing a vacation to recover from a vacation is pretty normal.

Almost everyone who enjoys traveling is subject to what is commonly known as the post-vacation blues,[1] a type of stressed or blue mood that can affect you in the period after returning from a long-awaited vacation.

Having to get back into the routine of work, school, and daily life in general can be a source of distress, disorientation and discomfort as you feel you just can't settle back in. Indeed, for some people, post-vacation blues can result in a feeling that you no longer want to keep doing what you're doing and all you can think about is making an enormous change to your life.

While it may be unpleasant, the post-vacation blues can be overcome with a little determination and a focus on accepting what the vacation gave you and how valuable your everyday life is.

Here are some things to consider:

1 - Recognize the symptoms. Some vacationers don't have a problem easing back into their everyday routines following a long and pleasurable trip, but many others do, and it isn't uncommon. Some signs that you may be suffering from what is clinically known as post-travel depression (PTD). You hit on them pretty well --being tired, sad, not wanting to get back into the 'old' routine, and even down right depressed. Trust me; this is pretty normal... and runs right into #2.

2 - Expect to feel somewhat deflated after a great vacation. Time expands when we travel or experience new things and our sense of freedom from the usual constraints of routine, daily chores and deadlines is immense. Returning to routine flattens the sense of extended time and freedom from must-do tasks, catapulting you back into the same old reality that was there before you left. It is perfectly normal to feel deflated and to carry a sense of loss after such changed circumstances for a time.

Do not rush yourself to get over the experience. There are good sides to memories too but equally, you need to go through the transition of feeling out of sorts and blue because you have experienced something very different that meant a great deal to you. Letting go of the rush and excitement of that experience and allowing it to settle in as fond memories takes time. If nothing else, spend a little time recalling the fun bits and maybe even the not so fun bits so you can plan to make the next Con even better for YOU.

3 - Realize that your vacation does not necessarily end here. If you went away and experienced different cultures, pace of life, scenery, food, etc., then you have opened up new doors in your life. You have been touched by possibilities that were not a part of your life before and it is vital to keep this aspect of your vacation well and truly alive. Even traveling in the area / same language, etc. going anywhere other than the corner and back can turn into an adventure.

And, the good news is that you can keep your vacation alive in a number of ways -- if you took lots of photos or videos on your trip, or purchased any unique souvenirs, just going through them can help make it easier to remember the new places and experiences you were able to see. Spend time arranging them into formats that you enjoy working with and that make viewing or watching them easier for you and others.

Think about what you enjoyed a lot on your trip and consider creating a bridge from that culture to yours. If you enjoyed a particular cuisine in another place, purchase a cookbook of that cooking style and start trying out the recipes at home. Bring the flavors right back into your kitchen! IS there a comic cookbook? (Hulk's Favorite Cookies and finger food?)

And best of all, get out a jar, label it "My next vacation" and start your vacation fund right away to save up for a return visit.

4 - Think about how your vacation experience can inform good small changes in your life. A large part of the post-vacation blues derives from a desire to change everything about your life because you feel so fed up or bored with how things are back in your "ordinary" life.

It would be a mistake to try and cover up all the experiences of your vacation to just blindly push yourself back into the daily grind. Instead, find the things that really stood out for you in terms of your routines that you'd like to incorporate more of into your regular life.

Some examples of things travelers discover include:
Living on less. When traveling, you discover you can often "make do" and still have the time of your life. Perhaps now is a great time to declutter your house and live more simply. Okay, you already do that but, this is a good way to think about what you want as lasting reminders of 'good times' as much as tossing those 22 identical jelly jar style drinking glasses.

Using the cell phone and the internet a lot less. When you are traveling, cell phone and internet use soon turn into a case of using it only to keep people informed and to check that nothing untoward has happened. Apart from that, you're usually not constantly talking or surfing for the sake of it; instead, you're experiencing the rest of life, large. Take this experience and apply it to your everyday life and spend less time connected to technology and more time connected to people, places and events instead. Really -- in the old days, folks actually went to places and looked with their eyes and made memories -- instead of tweets and insta-pix. Fond memories get polished over the years... while cell photos get trashed to make room for more 'stuff'. Enjoy the real life memories and experiences.

Change your appearance and your health routine. Often vacation time sees a transformation from a worn out self to a rejuvenated, calmer and happier self! This should be you all the time!

Consider the ways in which you can achieve this through better/longer sleep patterns, more time spent doing light exercise, and caring for your nutrition. And do things that make YOU happy and give you a sense of taking a break from it all, from massages to an afternoon walks in the woods.

Meet people again. Vacations often bring us into contact with new people and remind us how easy it is to make new friends provided we're prepared to try. Even if they ARE dressed up as a super villain or hero. Spandex crosses all cultures. :D

Take this lesson and apply it to your post-vacation self. Get in touch with friends you have not caught up with for a while. Go out and make new friends through work, play, hobbies, sports and other things you participate in. Get a lightsaber and hack on your best friends in a local park... well, or maybe foam bats... It is possible you might even befriend someone else who is feeling the post-vacation blues and who could even end up as your next travel buddy!

5 - Share your experiences with a friend. As soon as you find the time once you have unpacked, you might find it helpful to recount your travel experiences with someone, or post any thoughts about the trip, interesting stories, funny mishaps, etc. using social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter or in your personal journal here. Yes, some might not be as excited since they did not get to go along but, you did what many wish they could do -- run off into a crowd of 130,000+ crazy, geeky nerdness and had fun... and got to see and hear folks we only 'see' on the InterWebs. Second hand nerdness can be a shared experience. :)

Now, the more serious and far more important bit of advice...

6 - Take care of yourself. There are a number of important "personal care" ways to help transition between your vacation back into your usual routine. Of course, get back on any exercise or diet or meditation 'programs' -- CONs do not excuse you from taking care of yourself -- and it is time to recover from the CON diet and schedule.

Next time, consider giving yourself a couple more 'vacation days' so you can unwind before having to jump right back into work. Going until Sunday and going back on Monday -- even for breaks while in school -- it barely took a day or two to feel like you never had a vacation since the routine immediately kicks back in. Take time to decompress and unwind.

7 - Start planning a return trip. The best way to overcome the post-vacation blues is to know you have another vacation to look forward to. The will always be 'the next CON'. Start gathering your spandex now and figuring out what things you will go see/do next time that you missed this time due to scheduling conflicts/time constraints, etc. Or as noted before, at the very least, start saving up and putting aside money every week toward the next vacation. It will soon add up and it is a great way to focus yourself when you are tempted to waste money on sugary treats or any other light vice that you can do without.

As you noted -- going to the library for books saves a ton of cash when you do not have to buy every book. I carry home 6 - 10 books each library visit. That would be a fortune spent every 3 weeks if I had to buy them all. Instead, I can put aside what I would have spent (approximately) and have a nice nest egg for my next adventure. (and spandex ain't cheap!)

Now.... did you get to see Nathan Fillion? Chris Evans? See all the 'sometime next year' movie trailers? Inquiring nerds want to know!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Katie (StormyKat)

Good gracious where to begin! I started reading this last week when you responded and just haven't had time to get back to it (that whole using the internet less thing). So many good things here, every time I was like 'oh I like that! let's respond to that' I found something new and lost track of the previous thought! I am going to do my best to keep the "living in the moment", simplicity and peacefulness in my daily life.

I think I am finally adjusted to the minutiae of daily life, like work and balancing budgets. Stupid need for money. Before I can even start saving for next year I need to pay off this year! Stupid expensive conventions. While I am adjusting to being back at work I am trying my hardest to not take on all the stress and anxiety I had before.

Of course, life is never simple like that. Soon after I got home my senior cat thought it was a good time to unregulate his bowel movements and make me play "is Crash Constipated?" One of my least favorite guessing games. One of my co-workers has called in sick this week, meaning I "had" (because I am nice and couldn't not come in early) to work an extra hour on Monday. An 11 hour work day with a closing shift followed the next morning by an opening shift with a 10 hour work day is a bit rough for anyone. Then life threw me a curve ball. I am slightly panicked over this. However, I think I am doing a good job of being realistically panicked while not actually worrying about it.
I have tried to keep my moments of mindfulness during the crazy times at work and during the simple times of fun. My schedule last week of home from vacation, work one day, off two days, work two days, off really helped. Then I went to a movie Thursday night which somehow helped shift me back into "home/work/ real life" mode. Not sure I get how; not sure I care. It was a good transition. Then worked two days where I just tried my best to pace myself and my adjustment back to work.
By the time I got off work Saturday I was exhausted, which made it hard to agree to go out with co-workers on Sunday and even harder to go to the movies on Saturday night with my parents. I went, despite my initial reservations and had a great time in both instances. I have been trying to take what life gives me and accept it as my adventure. As you said, everything can be turned into an adventure. A few months ago I was in an Eddie Bauer store and all over the store were pictures nature and/or people doing things in nature--camping, white water rafting, hiking--with the words "Live your adventure' across in big bold letters. Even if that is just their way of getting you to buy clothes, it has been my moto lately. Its all an adventure.

I think the tricks have been just focusing on something positive, not being so damned willfull, and focusing on the moment (though, in my anxiety prone/planning mind the moment sometimes encompasses a few days out.) So. I feel better. I hope to keep feeling better. I am glad to be home, even if I am still not so thrilled with stress and work.

Also. No I did not get to see Nathan Fillion. Yes I did get to see Chris Evans, as well as the entire cast of the second Avengers Movie which is coming out sometime in the future. I got to see the big names for Marvel's Ant Man. I got to see some women who kick ass including Maisie Williams and Natalie Dormor from Game of Thrones (yay!) I also got to see Benedict Cumberbatch (squee!) and got to experience Craig Ferguson working the crowd/MCing a panel. It was awesome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds