StormyKat's Training Journal

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1766

Kol Drake replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Ah yes, the newest new 'other two required courses'... Silly me, advising remedies instead of curriculum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1774

Jax replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

The remedy has been addressed privately, since there's a long term remedy coming in a few days. And she can help us with that. And the rest was advising you of what has changed so students aren't confused further.

• Katie (StormyKat)
  • Katie (StormyKat)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 459

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Thanks for the link Jax (again!) So I need to create a learning plan and perhaps a faculty adviser to assist me? Because even reading through the PLP template I can feel a little part of myself going "Nope. Not happening. Nope." I want it to happen though. So. Guidance. And posting here. And pokes with a sharp stick. And finding a day where I am clear minded to sit down and read. All helpful things.

:fight

• Thank you received: 1347

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Okay, StormyKat, as it already had been said, take it easy and a deep, relaxing breath with it! ;)

To this I will attach my very old format of a PLP. The new one obviously looks much different but the content should be similar. Hopefully this will make it easier for You to think about things which can make it into your PLP. Normally we ask for things You are doing right now or You are looking forward to do in the future to help You to develop on your individual Jedi Path and which are offside from the IJRS. So nearly anything can go into the PLP which helps You to learn, to progress, to widen your horizon and help You do gain new knowledge and experiences. The only thing which then is needed to be done is to somewhat group those things up into the given groups.

Hopefully this helps and takes away a bit of the stress. Furthermore the PLP should become a somewhat lively document which means start to fill in what You can fill in and then present it either in your Introduction Work thread or send it to Jax, Connor or even me for review and if we feel that something is missing or if it is already okay.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Katie (StormyKat)

So much to write, so I am going to break it in to multiple posts

It has been three days since I finished my PLP. Before diving into Creed 101 and Jedi Studies 101, I thought I would take some time to assess myself and my life. One of the suggestions in the write up for the PLP was to do a time audit. Now, I did a time audit years ago for a class I took in grad. school. I was horrible at it. I also thought it was the stupidest thing ever. I was too busy to keep track of my time. I also didn't want to live on a strict schedule. 8:00-9:00 do homework. 9:00-10:30 read...etc etc. That is not how I want to live my life. So the idea of doing another time audit was not appealing to me. For some reason I have been doing it anyways. Not sure why, perhaps I felt it was the only way I could figure out where I could add all these extra activities in? Anyways, doing a time audit I realized just how poorly I use the majority of my time.

• Katie (StormyKat)

I spend so much time not doing anything. Not just not doing anything productive, like clicking through Facebook But doing absolutely nothing. Wandering from one place in the house to the next, wondering what to do, thinking of things I should do, could be doing or want to be doing and in the end usually deciding to do nothing of much significance. Like watch Season Four of Game of Thrones, or deleting pictures from my computer. (Though, arguments could be made for the validity of each of those actions). Realizing I poorly use several hours of the day is kinda shocking. Just "kinda shocking" because when I get home from work I am TIRED. I have just been "on" for 10 hours, the last thing I want to do is sit down and use more mental energy to write or study, or even use physically energy to exercise. I have a new challenge to overcome. How to optimize my after work hours. Relaxing but still learning or moving my life forward in some way. Because it is so much easier to go home and do "mindless" activities like click through Facebook, watch tv, or browse the internet--these are great ways to spend time and do nothing.

• Katie (StormyKat)

One thing I have been good at is getting myself to exercise. Which is a HUGE thing for me. I hate exercise. (I choose exercise over writing...what am I hiding from?) To me it is a "four letter word" even though I know it is essential. I have started off with just talking walks. This has helped me check a few boxes on my list. I am outside enjoying nature, I am getting exercise and I have something to do while listening to the audiobook I am trying to finish. Just walking has helped clear my head and helped drastically with my digestive health (Drs. think I have IBS). I was nauseated for two days, went on a 15 minute walk during my lunch break and the nausea cleared up. It's wonderful. I did a little bit of stretching, core exercise with the Wii Fit yesterday and noticed just how much pain, tension and weakness are in my shoulders. They were so sore after a few minutes of exercise, the thought going through my mind was "toxic" both the toxic, er, stuff that leaves the muscles when you exercise, as well as the toxic energy/stress that I have been storing there.

I think I am off to a good start.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Wanting to go 'full brain activity = zero' after a long day of work is understandable.

Perhaps what you should practice is an 'unwind' routine -- say, grab a little something to eat/drink (healthy smoothie?) and then allocate say 90 minutes to 'doing nothing' -- but a useful nothing -- like just closing your eyes and meditating on letting the stress and tension slip away. heh... perhaps it can become a 'relaxing ritual' which might be a warm tub full of bubbles, some nice candles and scents, a little 'meditative music' and letting it all flow down the drain...

Then, once 'relaxing time' is over, you can go ahead and maybe do one or two small things that are necessary but not really all consuming. Like deleting pictures (hopefully not mine!) or doing a little reading or writing or wrangling kitties. Sometimes a good 'relax' and time breathing can give you a second wind and time to re-orient without all the stress and worry of 'I gotta get stuff done' on the mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Katie (StormyKat)

• Katie (StormyKat)

I like the idea Kol Drake. I have been advised of that before. My challenge comes in that I only have a few hours after work--I get home at 6ish, and have to try to wind the day down by 9:30, so I can get enough sleep. My natural habit is to stay up later and sleep later...so I have to really work at keeping a schedule. I will try a bit more unwind time and then some small and/or easy things to move life forward--perhaps IJR classes! :)

(side note. I originally wrote "My challenge comes" as "my problem is" challenge sounds so much more manageable than problem. I can overcome a challenge! :cheer: )

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Might even consider swapping the word "opportunity" for challenge or problem... since every instance is a opportunity to discover/do new things. Sounds goofy but words *can* make a difference.

As for time.. yikes...
Maybe a 30 minutes unwind and only dipping your feet in some lavender laden water?
. .
That way you get a little you time in before bed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds