StormyKat's Training Journal

• Katie (StormyKat)
  • Katie (StormyKat)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 459

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

I am going to "cheat" a bit here. I didn't really do the communication exercises yet; I have to find three people to perform my experiments on-which may take some time. I have to find people who will take it seriously.

However, I have done exercises like this before. So, with the experience I do have I am going to give preliminary responses to the questions in the assignment..

Communication is about more than words. Words are what we as humans use talk to each other. We communicate in more ways than talking. We communicate by our body language--how we hold ourselves, how we cross or don't cross our legs and arms, how close we stand to each other. We communicate with our eyes--where we look, how long we look, what our eyes reflect about our inner feelings. We communicate by what we do when we are listening to someone talk--are we doodling, are we tapping our fingers or a pen, or are we actively responding (if appropriate) and actively listening? Communication is about tone of voice too. Listening to how someone says something, versus what they are saying can give clues to how a person really feels about a situation.

As a Jedi you have to pay attention to all the ways people communicate. You have to make sure you communicate clearly as well. The example Beral Kahn gives, from the Pink Panther movie, where he asks "does your dog bite" is great. We have to make sure we are asking the correct questions--what do we truly mean, not hoping someone will read between the lines in what we are saying. Jedi, however have to make sure they are able to read between the lines in what and how others communicate.

Jedi also have to learn how to communicate with other beings. One reason I am so good at working with cats is because I know how to communicate with them. I can read their body language, I can read the situation around us and how it correlates with the cat's body language and response. I know how to communicate "calming" to them, I know how to communicate "safe" to them. As a Jedi it is important to learn the same communication skills with humans. What does their environment say about them? How do they respond to their environment? How do they dress, are there messages/slogans on their car? on their shirt? on their bags? do they have brand names all over everything? etc.

There is so much more to communication than words, language.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1766

Kol Drake replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

While reading your post I was going to add 'cat chat' to your list of ways a person communicates... but you did that at the end. Animals 'read' our body language; our emotions made manifest through our bodies. They can tell when we are stressed or relaxed, happy or sad. So, emotion can 'affect' how we communicate non-verbally as much as what we don't 'say'. heck, sometimes you can read mental and emotional states from how someone is posting... sometimes...

So, as you state, LOTS of ways to communicate without ever opening your mouth.

• Thank you received: 1774

Jax replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Thank you for sharing your experiences. However, please remember to post all of your intro course assignments in the training area, not just in your training journal. Even the cheating ones. ;-) Because it's good stuff. hehe

You can always do the last part, with the open questions, first, and then when you talk to people, add that after.

• Katie (StormyKat)

*turns red* *eyes go big* (< my physical communication that can't be seen via message boards) ooops. Am I not posting them in the right spot? Is there someplace else I am supposed to be posting these exercises as well? If there is can someone tell me where?

• Katie (StormyKat)

yes...oops! :thanks Just realized I had the wrong link. *turns even brighter red* :silly:

It happens. Part of the intro course is learning how to do things, not just the Jedi part of training. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Katie (StormyKat)

I finally made my way through the introductory course booklet. I finished the exercises and now I am a little lost and slightly overwhelmed as to the next steps.

Reading about the integrative practice activities kinda freaked me. I am trying to find more time for myself, to take care of myself and heal. Compassion Fatigue and burnout are evil cousins I tell ya. So I look at this list and go "Shit. More stuff for me to do!" Though I realize that so much of it is going to help me calm myself, de-stress and be more aware. :meditate

I would love some clarification about the goal setting and personal learning plan though. Do I relate these to the classes I will be taking? Any advice for the next steps to take would be greatly appreciated!

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1766

Kol Drake replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Congratulations on finishing.

And don't stress. Again, one bite of that bantha at a time.

Look over the other courses and see what might be of interest to you... although I bet Jax will say, Meditation 101, at the very least.

Check your email Kat. :-)

And Kol, we've changed things around. We don't start students with meditation. The information is all updated on the site. instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/training/training-start on the second tab.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds