StormyKat's Training Journal

• Katie (StormyKat)
  • Katie (StormyKat)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 457

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Beyonce the Giant Metal Chicken is my favorite thing ever!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Katie (StormyKat)

I have found myself slipping in my training. I am slowly working my way through the introductory course, and trying to slowly wade through the forums to see what interesting discussions have been had. However lately I am finding it much easier to come home from work at binge watch Game of Thrones. Actually binge watching Game of Thrones is so much more appealing than anything else right now. More appealing than my Jedi training, more appealing than writing or cleaning or working growing myself in any way. Binge watching tv in general is so much easier...there is no risk involved. I can escape and turn my brain off for a few hours. It feels good at the time, but I know it won't help down the line. It's just so easy and tempting to escape for a bit. :explode

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1762

Kol Drake replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Is this not the 'typical' response your mind/body has whenever you try to do something positive for yourself?
:yoda Do, or do not. There is no try. :yoda
The IJRS lets folks do their studies at their own pace... so 'taking a break' is not unheard of. BUT, like anything else, if you fluff it off entirely, there is little you will 'get' from the effort. It is up to you to decide whether the IJRS offers that which you seek for yourself.

Then again, I know how you feel. If I could 'binge watch' episodes of a few different series, I'd be there... until that got old and then would be back to nagging ... er, encouraging the folks here on the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax, Katie (StormyKat)

• Thank you received: 47

Tai-Da Vrikaurvan replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Sorry for posting on your journal but I needed to thank you. I just started watching game of thrones after reading your post about it. I love it... thank you for bring Game of thrones to my attention. Looks like my weekend is sorted :P

Jedi Apprentice Tai-Da Vrikaurvan
Apprentice to Jedi Phoenix
Former Apprentice to Streen Ynr

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”
― Mother Teresa

"Look to the future and your eyes cannot shut. Look to the past and you can't open them. Live in the moment, and you can blink."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Katie (StormyKat)

Spirituality Exercise

I went to Catholic school from Kindergarten through Graduate School. How that happened I am not quite sure, because I am not Catholic. Well, the Catholic grammar school was the best school in the area, so that's how I ended up there....but the rest were just flukes. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from my Catholic grammar school education. The Catholic faith was drilled into us (or perhaps it was just that one teacher in 7th and 8th grade....) I didn't agree with a lot of it. So while a lot of my spiritual believes may be said to originate from a Judeao-Christian background (I went to a Presbyterian Church when I was little) I do not hold with most of the Catholic religion. I remember being violently against some of the things that were taught us in school, specifically that animals do not have souls. That pissed off little StormyKat, who knew her cats and her grandparents cats and her friends' dogs had souls.

What I did get from my Catholic school education was a believe in the "Golden Rule" to treat others as you wish to be treated. The belief that others are to be treated kindly and it is a blessing to give what you can in service to other humans as well as the believe in the power of love. (I question that last sentence as I type, but I keep feeling the word "love" coming up as I think, so I know it must go in here, just perhaps not the way I worded it). I was more enamored with the stories of how Jesus lived--giving to others regardless of society's view of them, etc. This is what has shaped my conscience. Which is how I determine what is right and wrong (though I think some of that good ol' Catholic guilt creeps in too).

I was introduced to Buddhism in high school and I fell in love with it. The 4 Noble Truths and the 8 Fold Path spoke to me in a way no religious teaching had. I went to some Buddhist meditations for a while (I don't remember what branch of Buddhism it was though). It was there that talk of reincarnation popped up and in the context it was talked of left me feeling uncomfortable about the concept. I have a hard time accepting that a small child who is abused or murdered is a soul who was actually coming back and earned this from a previous life. I don't know what I believe about death. I have tried to sort that out for years and I just don't know. I would like to believe there is life in some form after death. I don't believe in the concept of heaven that was taught me in childhood, that all our souls go and sit around of fluffy clouds etc. I don't believe in hell. I believe if there is a god/God s/he is caring and would not punish us eternally. I feel like there is something though. Whether it is our energy being redistributed throughout the universe, or our souls being released into the universe for reincarnation, or heaven where we all sit on fluffy clouds, I believe there is something.

Last year I went to talk to an Animal Communicator for the fun of it. The night before I spoke with her my Sam cat came to me in a dream. It was not just a dream of him, it was him. I could feel him, he was more vibrant than the dream itself. He was almost three dimensional. It was proof to me there must be something after death. I have since had that happen once or twice with my cat who passed away on New Years Eve. She has come to me in my dreams. I have had strange experiences with animals sending me signs from "beyond the grave" so I know if my animals are still around in some form that my grandparents and other humans souls must be around too.

For me, spiritual practices are as simple as going outside and enjoying nature. When I am outside late at night, taking the garbage out or whatever I like to just stop and stare at the sky. It is so calming, peaceful and centering. It refreshes me and reminds me of my place in the universe. Besides that I feel that whether there is a God, a creator, an all powerful force that started life and holds it all together, whatever the spark was s/he/it created the universe and nature so what better way to be in touch with this all powerful force than by being in its creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Jax replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

thank you for sharing this. You know, many pets check in from time to time after they pass. What a nice gift from your cat friend. :-)

Keep listening to your intuition when you hear things, it serves you well. I know it can be hard at times to figure out what is wrong with a belief, but the more questions you ask, the easier it will be to pull whatever truth there is (if any) and leave the stuff that humans just made up behind. ;-)

You might find the conversations with god books quite interesting. They are...nothing like standard religion. They were life changing for me, and many others found them beneficial. They can provide new things to ponder or simply that ring as truth and stimulate new spiritual beliefs. If you're interested I can provide you with the books. And if not, that's ok too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Katie (StormyKat)

Thanks Jax, I will look into those books!

:thanks

• Katie (StormyKat)

I tried to do the Light House meditation again tonight. I did better than last time. My mind kept wandering off to different places but I felt much more relaxed. Almost instantly relaxed actually. I could feel some of the tension leaving my body; I went to a very calm place. I kept picturing different places in my head that related to the meditation. Beaches I have walked on, light houses I have climbed. At one point I almost thought I could feel the banister under my hands and smell the musty old light house smell. I even got this strange feeling, somewhere between cold and warm. Like a warm energy was radiating from my body, yet at the same time feeling the cold breeze from my ceiling fan--but in a different way than I had been a few moments before. Very interesting. :yoda

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Great. Getting to that point where you are 'experiencing' the moment is super. And don't worry about the mind drifting too much. Sometimes you can 'just let it drift' until it comes to some item you might want to focus on. Sometimes, that's how the mind works to GET you to focus on stuff like that.

• Thank you received: 1344

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: StormyKat's Training Journal

Aye, as Kol Drake said and I just want to add the following. Although we all or at least most of us tend to speak of “during your meditation imagine this or that”, Jax made me understand and my experiences proofed it, that “imagine” or “seeing” something through ones meditation is just a place holder for any kind of sensing or feeling.
For example, for me it is quite difficult to stay focused when I need to “just” imagine something in my head. It is easier for me when I add to it my experiences of how it would feel like or even smell and taste like. The more wholly I can get my body, myself involved in a mediation, but not limited to meditation, the easier it becomes for me to stay focused.
So, as You wrote, maybe also thinking of how it felt like when You had been in similar situations, at similar places might make it easier for You to “go through” the meditation!?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds