• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1746

Kol Drake replied the topic: Nemo's training journal

"What do you want to BE when you grow up?"

ALWAYS a tough one... either the choosing or the growing up part! :lol:

One of my 'issues' with the whole -- you are in high school and asked to decide on 'what you want to be/do for the rest of your life' (( or at least the first of several career choices... )) with ZERO real idea of what 'doing' something involves. 'Be an engineer?' What kind? Electrical, structural, chemical, nuclear, aeronautics, aerospace, etc. Nice titles but what do they 'do' -- and what's involved? What training/schooling is involved? What is daily activity like? Is it 'hands on' or all 'just computations'?

BE a teacher or BE a scientist or BE a political science major or BE an art major... they all are titles folks toss out with a kid in high school or even in college not having a clue as to what 'it' is... and that can be frustrating in itself. Of course, some few have a family member 'doing' something and they might follow suit -- since they KNOW what's involved but, for most -- it's a blind dart toss at a blank target. And if you have innate skills for something -- math or manual dexterity -- then you might have some clue as to where your 'gifts' might lead you. But, if you are a 'jack/jill-of-all-trades' (( competent in all areas but not brilliant in any 'one' )) then, you may be at a loss at which way to turn -- what 'craft' to take up.

Sometimes this makes the old 'master craftsman/apprentice' approach seem smarter at times... though one could be locked into ONLY being a cooper or a metalsmith or -- whatnot, in that system. Just seems like there should be some class(es) given on what is 'out there' and what is involved in 'doing' the potential jobs. More so then a hand wave 'jobs day'.

Okay.. a bit of an educational rant.

Rather then the 'hard sciences', perhaps you are gifted in philosophy or psychology or some of the social sciences? Even in art there are 'variations... art for art's sake... creating, displaying, selling. Or art as a form of therapy... never know what one might find once you start poking about... but it does take poking and asking and even 'visiting' to see what's what.

Re: anger and aggression. Perhaps a martial arts class? Not some hard core stuff but any of the 'basic arts' -- where one learns to control the body and self... more so then 'just' meditation or reading about balance. 'Doing' forces you to follow strict formats; learn to move in ways your body may find awkward at first; and makes you focus. It also allows you to legally and safely thump on things and sometimes sparring partners. I've seen more then few 'angry teens' over the years taking martial arts and becoming less angry and more focused and balanced...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1746

Kol Drake replied the topic: Nemo's training journal

hmmm.... been thinking... maybe martial arts (as most know it) -- high kicks, punches, breaking boards, etc. isn't your thing either.

Many sports provide a healthy way to release aggressiveness without hurting anyone. These activities (football, baseball, basketball, soccer, most of the 'field sports', track, etc. ) teaches the importance of teamwork and fair play. Moreover, sport allows one learn impulse control and to practice the discipline.

Physical exercises channeled aggression in nondestructive ways. Heck, even swimming or jogging can help. Walking, jogging, and running tend to generate all kinds of chemicals in the system which do 'good things' to help one feel better -- emotionally and physically.

As for art -- even that can be a 'mood helper'... either in the 'rituals' of making art or being able to express through the art medium. Through painting, sculpture, music and other arts, one can convey their emotions. Again, 'doing' tends to nurture focus, discipline, etc. (( And you can get out a LOT of aggression punching down a pile of clay preparing to throw a pot on a wheel! Or whacking a mallet and chisel carving in wood or stone. ))

• Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Nemo's training journal

I'm curious Nemo, what caused you to choose math originally, and why don't you think it works now?

• Thank you received: 117

Tsjêbbe replied the topic: Nemo's training journal

@Kol:
In fact you didn't told me anything new. And I also don't think in terms of art, philosophy, ... Now, what can I do with this studies, and also what I want to do.
And I definitely don't want to do something with art. It's a hobby for me, not something I can do from day to day.
I'm thinking about journalism or history. Because I like writing, and both have really big world to study. Also the social contact is something good for me. Another option is theatre, i love to do it and people say I'm good at it.
SO i'm going to do entrance examination for theatre. If I do not pass, it's gonna be history. I think being a teacher also suits me. And I love to write.

I want to do aikido, I did this before and want to take it up again. Also I've been thinking about boxing.
Also art definitely helps me to control the anger or come in the right mood.

@Jax:

I wanted to study for doctor. It's mostly science that interests me. But there was a lot of math in this 7th year. I thought I could do it, but I was doing to much with my head, it became depressing. That's why I stopped. I could go for doctor, but my parents won't let me do that.

"Little decisions over time make a big impact on our lives.” - Eric Samuel Timm

• Thank you received: 1332

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Nemo's training journal

Hey Nemo, it’s good to read from You again. I don’t have that many years of life experience as Kol Drake has and I don’t have the knowledge which Jax might be able to offer, but when I do read through your latest post I have a feel of as if You would give the answer to your questions yourself already.

Doing art, whatever kind of, for a hobby, to help one to balance and calm down is a very good thing and how knows what may come from that in the future!?
Even guys like Leonardo da Vinci or Michelangelo Buonarroti started as artist first. Both of them, if I’m not completely off, had been engineers before the got well known for their paintings.

And then for your study, sorry for putting it that hard, put who is doing the study and who is doing the job learned through this study later on? You or your parents?
Why do You think your parents wouldn’t allow You to study medicine? Or did I got it wrong when You were speaking of doctor? Is it a question of money? Of time? Of likeliness to finish?
If possible try to talk with them and find out about their reason or if it is only your expectation. I guess You know that more often than not that people doing what they love to do, doing it best and successful. People who are somewhat forced to do something will never or hardly ever be able to achieve their full potential.
So, going for something You feel a certain call for is always a good idea. The only “limit” I would set to this myself is, that in the end and with end I do mean a certain age at least one “call” has to be followed to a stage whereat someone can make money with his education.
As for me, I started at a technical school for architecture and building side management. After finishing this school with a school leaving exam I worked in this area as a building side manager for about two plus years.
Then I decided to study about aerospace engineering. Now I’m working in this job for about seven years and it also starts to feel not any longer right for me.
That is why I lately had started to study about Feng Shui. I finished my basic training last year and this year I will do the build-up class and beside that my task is to see how I now can start to make money with the knowledge I gained through the basic course.
With that, I don’t want to impress You, I just would like to underline what I said before, it doesn’t matter much what You might end up doing in the end, important is that You finish at least one thing on which You can build up and also go back should everything else fail.

Sorry for all the rant! I hope, You can find something helpful in my writing!? As for the rest, be open and take the opportunities which do come along your path.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsjêbbe

Yeah, you are right. I already have the answers on my questions. But with an answer always comes another question! I want to be a doctor because I want to help people. Helping is a way for me to stand with my two feet on the ground.
If I say I want to do biology to my parents they won't accept it because I stopped the other math-science study.

Jax replied the topic: Nemo's training journal

Nemo, you will be a contribution to the world no matter what you do. Don't choose medicine simply because you can help people. There are so many ways to help, just look for where you can be the greatest contribution based on your interests and gifts. You do that and you'll change the world beyond your imagination. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsjêbbe

Maybe. But I also love to do things like that.

Anyway, here my physical training plan.

Monday:

1: warm up: 5 minutes running on stairs

2: training (between everything +/- 1 minute break)
20 squats
10 push ups
15 squats
10 pull ups
15 sec plank
20 sit ups
30 sec hip raise

3: streching

Tuesday:
fitness => cardio
I actually really like one thing to do there, I only don't know how to call it. (see picture)

Wednesday:
See monday

Thursday: rest

Friday, see monday

Saterday: rest

Sunday: swimming 30 minutes

(Saterday and Sunday can switch sometimes)

Attachments:

A friend of mine became islamitic. He beliefs now for three years and just married. I don't know if I need to be happy. I'm happy he found his way of living. But I didn't hear from him now since three days. It feels like I lost him. Do I really need to let him go? And how?

Jax replied the topic: Re:Nemo's training journal

He's married now. His primary relationship is his wife, not you. 3 days isn't long. It sounds like you expect the relationship to stay the same instead of recognizing how it changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please forgive typos

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds