Rebecca's Journal

• Thank you received: 26

Guenavar created the topic: Rebecca's Journal

This is a good picture of where my Greenhouse was. My mother abandoned it, this building my Father built by hand.

"Easy is the path to Wisdom
for those not blinded by Themselves" ~unknown~
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Guenavar replied the topic: Rebecca's Journal

last week

Attachments:

During clean up. All this junk on the ground, was left inside the greenhouse. I bagged up all the plastics, and took them to the recycle dumpsters.

Attachments:

Today's pictures. Inside is pretty much done. It still needs a floor though. I am thinking about concrete squares, surrounded by sand... but not sure atm.

Plus these are my first little seedlings.... wish them luck! :)

Attachments:

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1915

Kol Drake replied the topic: Rebecca's Journal

So, how long before you are our resident 'Green Goddess' Jedi, serving fresh goodies at Gatherings?

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guenavar

ROFL!!!!

Well, I have to manage NOT to kill the plants first. Then it would have to depend on the time of year the Gatherings are, for the types of fruits and veggies available lol. Until I learn canning, and making jams, then some things could always be ready.

Or if I get the heating issue for winter solved, then I can grow all year around :silly:

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

I've been a geodesic dome geek since I was a teen (oh so many decades ago... *sighs*)

er.. anyway, I see more then a few 'make your own dome' websites which talk about nothing more then a frame and polyurethane covering and it maintains a 'growable' temp even when covered in a blanket of snow. I'll see if I can rustle up those sites since they also talk about their (mis)adventures on getting it up and running. Might have some tips to help you out in all of it.

• Thank you received: 1461

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Rebecca's Journal

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us! I do wish You good luck with your project! By the way, it feels like as if the area of your greenhouse is a very peaceful one!?

As for the ground, floor, I mean, I’m not an expert in it, but why do You feel that You do need a covering? Wouldn’t tamped earth, sorry for my lacking of English expression, already do the job, at least for now? If not what about some wooden planks or wooden/timber grate as someone can find it for terraces?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Yes Yoshio, it is very quite and peaceful out here. I'll some pictures of the view today, since the sun is shining.

Back when my Dad built this, Mom had laid some plywood on the floors after not wanting to stand in the mud. At times it gets a bit wet in there, when you get to watering plants. I was just thinking ahead of time, what a good flooring for it would be. For now, it will remain dirt.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

You might consider crushed gravel with ceramic/concrete 'tiles' as walkways between the growing areas. That way, any water (or sand or soil) can be swept 'between the cracks' and water can drain down naturally. Of course, this is assuming you are growing in raised beds.

Got a couple of websites on dome/greenhouse growing with bits on heating, etc. One is more of a 28 shot 'pictorial' as they put it in place but touches on such things as southern 'sun' exposure, solar 'soil heating' so you can have a toasty growing bed all year long, and even shots of the green 'inside' during a heavy winter snow.

>> Dome or not, it's all the same idea... <<

>> Heating your bed... er, soil bed <<

>> The pictorial... <<

There are sites and even youtube videos about using large water tanks as 'heat sinks' or recycling gray water to water the plants. Think there are even some that show how to work with fish,etc. Just how simple or complex are you shooting for?

Best of luck!
That place will be a jungle paradise before you know it.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds