Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Dineara's Training Journal - Page 66 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 256

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 270

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 275

Dineara's Training Journal

• Thank you received: 230

Dineara replied the topic: Dineara's Training Journal

I'm simply afraid that without a solid plan I won't make it. I'm still terribly overweight and terribly out of shape, and while the weight is not that big of an issue I really hope I can get enough muscles and stuff in this time. Fear leads to the dark side and there's a lot of that with this project - fear of losing, of not making it, of not being ready when need be, probably being the biggest one. I'll check out the stuff you recommended tomorrow.

About the requirements - there really are none, but they do have tests to determine how fit a person is for service, and I'd rather get somewhat decent results. My physical condition will be re-evaluated as I enter the service, they have to be sure that the material is capable of withstanding training of the level indicated in the interview - and my case would be rank A, the highest, so I'm able to do almost everything in the military (special training excluded). I'll die mentally if I get a B (usually for seriously overweight and those with other limitations, the service won't be as taxing).

I gotta check if there was a certain requirement for officer training. Anyway, the scale has six levels, let's call them F to A, A being the best. To get some idea, I'll post the minimum requirements for E, which is tolerable, and C, which is good (and that's where I'm aiming at). So the numbers below are E/C, and in European measures, I'm not going to convert them right now, sorry about that.

Standing long jump: 1,30 m / 1,60 m
Sit-ups: 16 / 30
Push-ups: 12 / 22
Cooper 12 min run: 2200 m / 2400 m

I have a serious problem with both Cooper (last summer I got probably something like 1400 m) and push-ups (right now I can't execute even one kneeling version with correct technique - why is it so hard to keep elbows pointing backwards?). So, yeah. Lots of work to be done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Dineara's Training Journal

My daughter got into the Navy a good 10 years 'older' than all her fellow swabbies. She had to work out daily to get in shape and pass the tests. It IS possible.

Can't *do* a bunch of kneeling push-ups?
Start with ONE modified push-up leaning against a kitchen counter top. (semi standing / leaning)
Once you get what YOU consider ONE GOOD push-up, then try to do 2; then 3, etc. And DO THEM SLOWLY. Slow makes the muscles work more than a quick 'jerk and pop'.

Once you can *do* a good dozen 'wall or counter leaning' push-ups -- THEN try to do ONE kneeling push-up.
Again, once you get one good one, increase by one. Two good p-u? Go for three.

Just like all your've done with energy, it's all baby steps until you learned to walk then run then sprint... energetically.
Physical fitness is no different.

Need to learn to jog a 12 minute mile?
Take a single step outside. Maybe a regular 'walk' to the mailbox and back. You don't HAVE TO be counting steps... just that fact that you are moving is the best start. Walk for a minute. Tired and out of breathe? Stop. Next time or three and you aren't yelling for oxygen and a medic? Go for two minutes of walking. Does not have to be RACE WALKING or jogging (for now). just walking. Work your way UP to 20 minutes of walking -- and being able to talk at the same time... (it's the evolving standard in the 'exercise circles'). If you can walk and talk for 20 miunutes... you've got a HUGE start on 'going a little faster'.

Once you have 20 minutes of walking down cold, you can start 'stretching those legs' a bit. Going faster -- either a faster walk for a couple minutes and then back to 'standard speed' and then fast and then 'normal'. When implemented correctly, a run - walk program is an effective training method that can help you increase your fitness faster, recover from hard workouts quicker, and return from injury with less chance of relapse.

Of course you need to do full 'warm up' stretches or bending before your 'real exercise' and a 'cool down' set of movements afterward with also helps prevent injuries and muscle issues.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

More on the 'run - walk' method. I always called it 'fox trotting' -- you can watch a fox do it... flitting walk and then a short sprint and then back to walking/trotting.
For us humans, many call it the galloway method. The galloway style of running allows you to exercise for a longer period of time each session. This increases your aerobic capabilities more rapidly, burns more calories, and reduces your risk of injury.

Research has shown that aerobic development peaks between 30-90 minutes of exercise. So, you need to push for that 30+ minute barrier. Being able to run - walk (jog - walk) means you can keep breathing and 'going longer' and flexes the muscles in a different way so the fatigue toxins don't build up so fast from that repetitive motion... which works into that 30 minute barrier.

Studies have shown that there is only a small difference between the number of calories burned while running easy and the number of calories burned at a brisk walk.
When you factor in the fact that the run walk (jog walk) method allows a runner to almost double or triple their time spent exercising, new runners are able to burn more calories than they would simply by running. Burn more == losing weight while staying injury free (and fit)!

What’s the bottom line?
Walk, don’t run the whole time when you are just starting as a runner.

Now... if you 'do' this for 8 weeks. Only TWO of your 8 months allotted... you will be to the point where you are breathing pretty well and really don't need to walk but can jog your entire 'time/distance' you set for yourself. Transitioning to continuous running is pretty simple.

Slowly increase your jog to walk ratio each week while keeping the total time exercising the same.
Soon you will be doing 'all jog' and no 'walk'. Check your distance & time requirements. A steady jog can almost make that 12 minute mile mark. BUT, a little run - jog training can help you 'step it up' to more running than jogging.

Which means burning MORE calories and getting even MORE in shape. WIn- WIn

And you will find you can 'slow run' a 10-12 minute mile if you worked on it for ??? 4 months ??? using this progression.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Motivation?

Use all that JEDI training and discipline you worked so hard on. I mean.. it's only 8 months and at the end, you get into the service easy peasey and have a knock out body! Again, a win win. PLUS, the healthier you are, the better you will be at all that energy stuff you've worked so hard on. Health = balance = keeping your shit together when all others are wondering what's going on.

The Navy SEALS have a saying -- "The more you sweat in training; the less you bleed in battle."

Makes sense.
Go stand on a basketball court and toss a few baskets from the free throw line. The players who spend HOURS practicing free throws don't 'choke' during the games. They make every free throw... which can be the difference between winning and losing. BUT.. if they had NOT done all that practice, their chance of making that shot each and every time would be a lot lower -- stress of the game, the noise, tired, etc. -- if you prepare for 'it', it's not such a barrier when you face it later. Common sense, right.

One step at a time. One leaning push up at a time. One minute of huffing and puffing 'at a time' and you will soon be an athletic Jedi Warrior!

(Do they teach 'lightsaber' in your service?) :lightsaber
:P

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: Dineara's Training Journal

Couch to 5k is just one way to structure building the stamina. Basically it's the concept of alternating walking with running and gradually building up. And you can modify it as needed. I like it because it's a structured thing that helps me push myself without going overboard. You can check out other things too like Kol mentions. And if you incorporate chi walking and running you'll minimize the impact on your joints. And if you walk by engaging your muscles rather than mostly ligaments you will lose more weight, like Kol mentions comparing the calories burned. Also, the more you build muscle the easier it is to burn calories. Strength training is a must.

There will be programs on nerdfitness to learn to do a proper pushup and situp and I bet you will find people providing advice about the jump. Basically, these aren't challenging numbers to make with 8 months to get there. Start with where you are and just make those small changes. Check in with us too. It will be interesting to see how you progress!

I haven't written about this much, but I'm already most of the way through my personal training program and just now consistently doing sweaty workouts. Yet they change often and I'm starting to lose weight. I learned I have a wheat allergy so I am cutting that out as best I can. I'm strengthening without damaging the weak parts of my body and it's never boring. I'm learning not to get hung up on the numbers because I'm not 20 anymore and haven't been active for quite some time. I had to start with where I am now, not where I was. I'm seeing progress and that helps!

The biggest challenge will be changing mindset. :-) If nothing else, remind yourself why you are doing this and what other benefits it will provide in all areas of life. And when you need a boost just ask. Or imagine Kol running after you with a lightsaber. lol

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

mmm... 'lightsaber motivation...".....

Guess that's better than asking her to carry me on her back while running as Yoda did with Luke... :yoda

I wonder if Rey will be carrying Luke... lol

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Dinearas Training Journal

Besides that, but yeah! lol That's a tip for Dineara now. Imagine carrying yoda on your back! lol

• Thank you received: 230

Dineara replied the topic: Dineara's Training Journal

Ok that pic is just hilarious. Just how terrible is it going to be if one has to carry the lineage of their masters on their backs? lol (Really looking forward to the next movie, anyway.)

Yeah, so, like a smart person I've spent the last month having a big crisis inside my head about what to do with my life and feeling unmotivated. As usual I'm not too proud of myself. If I don't have enough problems I'm good at creating them from nothing. Feel bored -> start feeling lost and contemplating what to do with life -> take it to the point of total stress and lack of direction -> do some thinking, find some faults in one's character (usually the same ones) and write up some pretty words about how to deal with them -> don't go along with your plan and pretend the problem is solved anyway as you have a direction to head towards -> keep on doing nothing, end up feeling bored and cheer yourself up by creating an equal or very similar problem to the original one and get started with the circle again

But, I picked up exercising once more and have gone jogging a few times now and created a program for myself based on my research. The first time was a murder but it's already a lot easier after a few times. Note to self: when I stop feeling like a human being, go jogging. I feel like a different person after exercise. Also found that (not to even my surprise) it's a great way to get rid of anger and exasperation. Also found out that (surprise, surprise) I feel better about myself and my chances. Almost managed to think that if I work hard enough I'll be able to survive in the army and even aim for better ranks. I can try, at least.

Also noticed (not while jogging, mind you) that I have a schizoid personality disorder. How about that? While I accidentally stumbled on this a few months ago, after careful examination and self-analysis it sort of explains a great deal of me and my actions, like my general lack of interest (especially towards fellow humans and building relationships), consistent aimlessness and surviving in the society by playing different roles according to what I think might be the best for the situation (and as a note, even though most of us do this, I'm actually taking this to the point where I have no idea how I'd normally react in a situation as even my capability to feel and express emotions is somehow, uh, faulty, it seems). In a way this realization was a shock and got me down for a while, but I guess it's kind of a relief too. I thought I was simply incapable of getting interested in people and interacting with them as others do. This tendency to spend huge amounts of time by myself and not being bothered by it in the least is bound to create me some stress in the army as I'll have to deal with others all the time there. I'm sure I'll get used to it, though. Anyway, I didn't come to this conclusion without solid arguments and evidence, while this short explanation might give that impression. I'm not too attached to any terms and certainly not a self-made diagnosis so I'm not saying I'm 100% sure, simply that if this was the case I'd probably understand myself a bit more.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds