Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Dineara's Training Journal - Page 65 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Dineara's Training Journal

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Dineara's Training Journal

Congratulations! :cheer:

May the Force be with you as you take this new trail along your Path of Discovery. :yoda
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dineara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: Dineara's Training Journal

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! THAT'S AWESOME! Very good persevering through everything.

• Thank you received: 1500

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Dineara's Training Journal

What else to say than CONGRATULATION and all the best for your further Path!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Thank you received: 230

Dineara replied the topic: Dineara's Training Journal

All right, time for another biggie:

I just sent my application to women's voluntary military service. Why? Well, I really want to challenge myself, and now I have a concrete goal to work towards - and even better, it has a deadline. I have to begin my service before I turn 30, so I have to get into shape preferably within one year to withstand the hard training there. Also, there is no other way to explore a world so different from mine. I want to witness it with my own two eyes and see what I'm really made of.

So, now it's a lot of training and hard work. I hope I'll get in. By the way, I started thinking about this two years ago. Now it's time to actually do this.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Dineara's Training Journal

I went into military service at 21 years old, with a couple of years of working and college behind me. My daughter went into the military after working and 6 years of college (2 bachelor's degrees and one associates) at 29 years old. She even more than I got to rub elbows with many who were straight out of high school -- so you have to have a little tolerance for those who are clueless about themselves and the world in general.

Getting 'in shape' will make your 'basic training' a lot easier to take. It's more mental than the physical... at least mine was. As for the rest, do they give you any choices as to what branch or specialty training you might get? I know a few who have taken a 'job' in the service which let them get skills they could use in civilian life later as well as taking 'a specialty' as a step toward a better slot later in the military.

You note you've been thinking about this for two years. It will be a change. You will be told what to do, when to do it, etc. It guarantees a roof, a bed, uniform and meals. It's not always logical (and sometimes not even common sense) but, it works... has worked for hundreds of thousands over decades and decades. Best of wishes.

The more you prepare the easier it is. It's definitely worth preparing. And do it with awareness so you don't get hurt or anything. :-)

Yep, I know what to expect - kids in the middle of growing up (not to mention the inevitable differences in thought and values with at least some of them), endless mornings, keeping my mouth shut and just doing even when I might disagree, mental challenges (I'll be stuck with the same people for a minimum of half a year in all kinds of situations - even that is enough to make me cringe) and physical challenges (long marches that are not easy for a woman's body - one of the most common reasons why women quit is because the stress is too heavy on them and they end up breaking their bones). My biggest worry right now is the physical one. I'll have to get into shape and fast without training too hard and breaking anything. I'm being super careful with this - even a minor setback could sabotage the whole plan since I really don't have too much time to spend. Sure, there are different branches and we are encouraged to make our interests known. Based on what I have been reading there really are huge differences between different branches. I am after leadership skills but other than that I don't really aim for anything that might prove useful in civilian life - considering my training as a practical nurse I might end up becoming a medic, but it's not really something I'm too thrilled about. We'll see what happens - there's always a possibility that I'll be told to apply again after a year if they think I am unfit for service at this point. We'll see.

So, actually it isn't that women's bodies are weaker, is that most people don't know how to properly strengthen. So they don't strengthen everything and the weak points in women's bodies are different than mens. That's why I say to use awareness and do your research. :-) Men get injured often as well, but in different ways usually. And since military is typically male dominated they try to train women in the same way, not taking into account different bodies. With women you need to address differences with hips which cause knee issues when not properly trained. I bet you can find some stuff in nerd fitness actually.

So, I'm going to cry a little here - out of confusion, excitement, fear, whatever. I got accepted and will begin my service on 8th of January next year. That means that I have approximately eight months before my life will become quite different. Eight short months, and I ought to get myself in shape in that time. Just, how will I do it? I can exercise, sure, but I'm seriously lacking in any kind of self-control, willpower, motivation and that stuff. I guess that plays the biggest part here - I have to train consistently, with a solid plan (which I don't have), and keep doing it no matter what. Just how am I going to pull this one? I have only one chance at this. If I don't make it I won't be able to try again because I'm too old by then. And, while being realistic and knowing I won't make any insane miracles in these months, I do dream about being fit enough so that it won't prevent me from applying and getting in leadership training. I mean, I really really want to make it and I want to make it as well as possible, but I'm afraid I don't have the determination nor the right tools and resources. Help me! lol

There is one interesting thing I accidentally figured out within the past week, unrelated to this subject, which I will discuss later today - now I have a meeting to attend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Let's look at this a little different. What if you don't need to have a plan? What if you don't need to set a schedule? There are so many ways to get and stay in shape. You do this in a way that works for you, and they'll do the rest. All I know is all these conclusions you've come to aren't going to help you do this. So breathe :-)

First, I recommend going to nerdfitness. Find a group that can help you do at least one thing daily (which includes things like stretching and even energy work to keep the body healthy). Then look at what kind of exercises are fun for you and start there. 8 months is a lot of time. I got ready for boot camp in around 5 months, and that wasn't doing something daily. Nor could I run more than half a mile and I had to get to a mile and a half in a specific time. So I get it, I've been there, you can do this. At nerd fitness I recommend starting with basic body weight workouts, build up to doing the full pushups for instance.

Second, look at the various couch to 5k programs. Start doing that. It's just 6 weeks to running a 5k which is more than sufficient even if you do it twice as slow as recommended.

Third, mindset. I recommend picking up some books to change your perspective on fitness. For me that was a book called Born to Run. It's available on audiobook as well as ebook. I would also look into chi running for good technique and making running easier. They have a good fitness app that you can look up. And if you can share what parts of this worry you the most you will get better recommendations. :-)

Fourth, look into high intensity interval training. I'm sure they have good information at nerdfitness actually. It's a way to build your fitness much faster with less time spent. Just don't overdo it.

Did they give you minimum fitness requirements that we can look at?

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds