Henry's training Journal

• Jedi Initiate H
  • Jedi Initiate H's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 18

Jedi Initiate H replied the topic: Henry's training Journal

The journal kind of went well this week. I just have to get out of the habit of writing "notes" like I am in a lecture.

My physical exercises went well this week and I even got some meditation in to (thanks kids for the quiet). This week I am getting back into the Meditation 101 course. I read through the material and posted a some questions. The plan is then to complete the exercise during the week, note down and thoughts in the journal then post it the following Sunday.

My dreams are also becoming more vivid now that I have been meditating again. So much so that in a dream I went back in my mind to a workplace where I suffered heavy stress and bullying and sorted the issue out in my head. It was very strange and surreal as I was saying to myself thought I don't work here any more what I am I doing here. It took wile for me to realise that I was dreaming but when I did I was able to lay rest to my issues.

I think the timing is good as I return to uni this week and meditation will be needed to calm the nerves and release the pressure so hopefully I can do well again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1908

Kol Drake replied the topic: Henry's training Journal

...thought I don't work here any more what I am I doing here. It took wile for me to realise that I was dreaming but when I did I was able to lay rest to my issues.

Sometimes you need 'time and distance' so you can look back over these kinds of 'life experiences' and really *see* them with a different frame of mind/different 'lens'. What, at the time, can seem like the world dumped on you; can, upon retrospection, be something much more understandable.

Glad you have been having meditative successes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jedi Initiate H

• Jedi Initiate H

Some more meditative success this week Kol and perhaps you could add some ideas to it as well.

During this weeks meditation 101 exercise 3 I was completing the open eyed meditation an interesting thought came to mind. As I looked down (I was sitting in a chair at home) I could see my feet and could see that I was moving the toe next to my big toe. Not anything unusual really but then the idea popped into my head "how was I moving my toe independently of the others without thinking about doing it?" I wasn't actively thinking how I was doing it or actively engaging nerves and muscles to do it, I was just doing it.

This led me to the thought around how we connect with the Force. Just like moving my toes was without effort and conscious connection through nerves and muscles, I came to the idea of how to connect and use the Force. One must do it without forcing it unlike the Jedi of fiction who facial and body language indicates a level of strain or effort. As children we learn to walk and talk over many years creating this effortless connection between mind and body. We need to train diligently to connect our mind to the Force to allow that connection to the Force flow easily and effectively as well. This connection should be similar to our connection between our mind to our body. I have heard others talk about not to force our connection to the Force but to flow and connect with it.

It would be great to hear others thoughts of this

Jedi Initiate H
:ponder

• Jedi Initiate H

I found this on you-tube "Electricity Helps Heal Wounds" Now the you-tube channel is another interesting news type channel but the difference is they reference their stories. To sum the story up we have an electromagnetic field under our skin that reacts when we are injured then helps to direct the bodies resources to the site to help the healing. It made me think of Jedi and raki type healing using energy. I don't have time to dive to far in research on this right now but I will in the future

Jedi Initiate H

This is an abstract of an article they used in the report. Unfortunately I cant get assess to the full article l through my uni Library access.
Keratocyte Fragments and Cells Utilize Competing Pathways to Move in Opposite Directions in an Electric Field

Yaohui Sun, Hao Do, Jing Gao, Ren Zhao, Min Zhao, Alex Mogilner

Current Biology - 8 April 2013 (Vol. 23, Issue 7, pp. 569-574)

Summary
Sensing of an electric field (EF) by cells—galvanotaxis—is important in wound healing [1], development [2], cell division, nerve growth, and angiogenesis [3]. Different cell types migrate in opposite directions in EFs [4], and the same cell can switch the directionality depending on conditions [5]. A tug-of-war mechanism between multiple signaling pathways [6] can direct Dictyostelium cells to either cathode or anode. Mechanics of motility is simplest in fish keratocytes, so we turned to keratocytes to investigate their migration in EFs. Keratocytes sense electric fields and migrate to the cathode [ 7 and 8]. Keratocyte fragments [ 9 and 10] are the simplest motile units. Cell fragments from leukocytes are able to respond to chemotactic signals [11], but whether cell fragments are galvanotactic was unknown. We found that keratocyte fragments are the smallest motile electric field-sensing unit: they migrate to the anode, in the opposite direction of whole cells. Myosin II was essential for the direction sensing of fragments but not for parental cells, while PI3 kinase was essential for the direction sensing of whole cells but not for fragments. Thus, two signal transduction pathways, one depending on PI3K, another on myosin, compete to orient motile cells in the electric field. Galvanotaxis is not due to EF force and does not depend on cell or fragment size. We propose a “compass” model according to which protrusive and contractile actomyosin networks self-polarize to the front and rear of the motile cell, respectively, and the electric signal orients both networks toward cathode with different strengths.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Speeding up healing of broken bones with static and alternating magnetic fields is something folks were doing back in the 70s.

Magnetics, electricity... some day, we will get this 'fixing the body thing' worked out. :stars

• Jedi Initiate H

A bit of an update on my little side road journey in building a map for my mind to traverse through the Jedi journey.

So I think there is 3 parts to the Jedi Journey they are:

1. The Force
2. Jedi Philosophy
3. Jedi Praxis

This is somewhat similar to the fictional book "The Jedi Path - A Manual for Students of the Force" which provides the 3 pillars of the Jedi. This piece of fiction to me is not to far off the mark. My tangent and application of this fictional idea is to provide me with a structure to my Jedi studies and bring ideals of the Fictional Jedi to the real world in a meaningful coherent manner/path that can be followed through to an outcome. That out come is to confidently and meaningfully call myself a Jedi. It is to quiet my mind that being a Jedi is just play and the Jedi path is just another way (like a self help course) to better myself (Note: bettering ones self is a good thing irrespective of the Jedi path :) ). I included my original post below to provide some context to what I am on about.

To me the 3 headings group the activities that a Jedi undertakes to become a Jedi. At the centre of the three points the Jedi themselves. I see the 3 points rotating are the Jedi student (initiate). For me it brings a level of coherence to my journey and I can see how the skills, lessons, courses, learnings and activities go into me becoming a Jedi. Some ideas I have had about what comes under each item include:

1. The Force
Many topics could and do fall under this banner some include - meditation, Chi, spirituality, energy work, reiki, access conscious, manifestation etc. I would like to see in the future a coherent body of knowledge of how a Jedi practices the use of the Force in the real world instead of many Jedi doing multiple things. Now I know I am still new to this path so there could very well be something out there about this. I think for me the idea of creating a Jedi Force guide is exciting....something that a student can pick up and say "This is how a Jedi uses the Force...we access it by doing this practice....)

2. Jedi Philosopy

This covers topics such as the Jedi code, Creed 101, the translation of the fictional ideas and ideals of the Jedi into the real world for Jedi realists and Jedi Philosophers to practice. Ideas like the Jedi circle. Again the idea of this is to bring knowledge together to guide my journey

3. Jedi Praxis

This covers the activity a Jedi under takes That is physical training martial arts, self defence, communication and negotiation training etc. The active off line practice that is required to be a Jedi.

Anyway this is what is in my head and even what I am being guided to do by the Force. I am not trying to create anything new or different, just a way forward for myself in my mind. If anyone thinks any of my ramblings are good and worth further review then that's great too.

Jedi Initiate H wrote: Jedi training update

What has taken the forefront of my mind is reflecting on how being a Jedi will impact my life, how I will achieve it and how it will affect me those around me. I have alluded to this in this training journal and Jax has provided great insights that I have used to gather my thoughts and make sense of it in my mind.

I have in the past rushed into things head strong and at full pace with majority of times resulting in success. Becoming a Jedi has not been any different. The end result in this instance has seen me becoming a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of info and potential that encompasses the Jedi path. It is not normal that I step back as far as I have from something that interests me as much as this, but I have.

The intention is not to leave but to gain perspective of the path, the knowledge to be gained and how to use/integrate practice into my life. The subject matter and knowledge that a Jedi must know excites me to a point where I try to know as much as I can as fast as I can. The result being that I in fact may know less because of over analysis, not enough practice and not enough focus on specifics.

This has been something that has troubled me in the past. Because I have such an expansive mind that can view things from many angles my mind craves information. As good as this can be it takes time to research, analysis and/or to conclude whatever I am working on at the time. This also expands into my many, many, many interests…..which includes becoming a Jedi

So what am I doing? This is a reflection and direction exercise for me. I have been meditating on this as well which has brought results too.

My reflection has been around questions like
• Define Jedi (real life Jedi)
• Why Jedi, why am I embarking on this journey, how long will this journey be.
• What constitutes a Jedi, define their traits?
• Define their competencies, skills and what is required to do/know to meet these
• How do I progress, will I reach a destination, is there a destination.
• How does one learn and even maintain the vast knowledge that is gained in training to be a Jedi
• How does one integrate it into life so it becomes part of life?
• What does further training look like (Jax has started a greatt thread on this)

One key insight that I have gained is that there is no need to rush this as it can and will be a life long journey. As I have mentioned previously, I have been dabbling in Jedi practices (although not referring to them or even knowing that they fall under Jedi practices) for many yrs and becoming a Jedi brings them all together and give focus.

I am also creating a map for myself of all of the different parts of the training here and how they will fit together. It also will list other ideas and thoughts that come into my mind about different training materials, exercises etc so that I do not feel that they are getting lost or get in the way of current training (another idea from Jax). This will hopefully focus my mind.

This all may seem like I am reinventing the wheel which is not my intention at all, in fact I dislike doubling up work with a passion. It is to expand my mind and bring becoming a Jedi truly into my life. There is so much to learn and my life is very full I need this structure to truly enjoy the path.

All of this probably has a lot to do with my personality and the fact that the normal “structured” class room style of learning has never really worked with me.

H

• Jedi Initiate H

Kol Drake wrote: Speeding up healing of broken bones with static and alternating magnetic fields is something folks were doing back in the 70s.

Magnetics, electricity... some day, we will get this 'fixing the body thing' worked out. :stars

Kol can you point me in the direction of healing with magnetic fields? I have got tendinitis in my right forearm from to much computer work and had a feeling that I could do something with magnetics to help the healing and it was also mentioned to me by my dad albeit in a very crude manner of application "son, get a magnet and stick it on your arm". I'm sure he is right but I would like to refine this idea :lol: .

I have been meditating with the focus intent of healing it and I think it has helped.

• Jedi Initiate H

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

hmmm...
Not sure I can point to one as the absolute 'the One' website or article.

The journal - Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, March 1979, Volume 17, Issue 2, pp 161-169 had an article, Clinical aspects of the stimulation of bone healing using electrical phenomena by J. Watson and E. M. Downes. They were looking at fixed and fluxuating fields on bone growth and healing.

In the 1980s, research for the military was looking into using low level magnetic fields to speed bone regrowth at break sites.
research. Much credit is due to the late C. Andrew L. Bassett and his colleagues at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York for their persistence in overcoming entrenched skepticism and daunting regulatory hurdles to bring pulsing electromagnetic field therapy (PEMF) for bone healing into mainstream medicine. Their research showed that certain magnetic fields can jump-start the healing process in fractures that have failed to heal, even for as long as forty years.

Bassett and his colleagues at Columbia also researched the use of PEMFs on other musculoskeletal problems, and had considerable success. These problems include osteoarthritis, osteonecrosis, osteochondritis dessecans, osteogenesis imperfecta, and osteoporosis.

The first FDA approval for magnetic field therapy was obtained in 1979. Subsequent work showed that healing in other tissues can be jump-started with fields pulsing at different frequencies. Basically, their device had coils of wire placed near the fracture site (above and below the 'break') and had induce current flows in the bone. [ fluxuating magnetic fields can induce an electric current / electric current through a wire has a magnetic field -- fun science fact ]

Here is a site with a pdf on all kinds of research/medical references (and images) of their using magnetic fields for bone healing -- >> Magnetic studies on bones <<

Concerning fluxuating fields...
The important frequencies for stimulating tissue repair are all in the biologically important extremely low frequency (ELF) range. Two cycles per second (Hz) is effective for nerve regeneration, seven Hz is optimal for bone growth, ten Hz is used for ligaments, and somewhat higher frequencies work for skin and capillaries.

This last paragraph is why some folks have looked into a rather basic solution -- which is easy enough for most amateur electronics geeks to build. Most call it 'the Zapper' or some variant... which was 'inspired' by research by a Dr. Hulda Clark. While some yelp 'quack' -- research has shown that micro pulses (those ELF frequencies) *do* seem to have a major effect on our bodies.

Here is one site you can skim through that is selling a 'already tested and made' zapper -- many have variable pulse rates so you can work on nerves or tissue or bone or whatnot. Again, some build their own but can't guarantee the 'signal output' since they don't have ocilloscopes, etc. to really do it justice and some cheap parts have a wider 'tolerance allowance' then others so the pulse is not as 'tight'. Anyway, here is that site... >> Intergate of Canada <<

(( why Canada? The FDA got all 'track down every site that sells these and put on the pressure' back in the 90s. Many kind of passed their products/services over the border to keep them 'alive'. Same happened about folks who sold collodial silver back then... although you can still find it in some health or new age stores. ))

Do a Google Image search with the term "zapper circuit" and you will get several dozen places to look at the simple to the more complex circuits which do this 'pulsing'. Most of them also have links so you can see what frequencies work with what 'ailments'... like your tendonitis (the 10 Hz mentioned before).

The zapper lab I peek at on occassion << info and diagrams that are easy to follow.

Anyway ---
A 1991 study (and another in 1996) on humans of static field strengths up to 1 T found no effect on local blood flow. Contrary to the common belief, blood is not ferromagnetic, but weakly paramagnetic. This means that blood cells are not attracted by even strong magnetic fields. (( so kind of give those websites that claim the magnets will somehow 'align blood cells' the stink eye )) Anyway, if blood was ferromagnetic people would bleed to death or explode inside the strong magnetic fields of MRIs!

In the June 2012 issues of the Journal of Comparative Clinical Pathology, they did a study on dogs tendons using static magnetic fields and got some encouraging results. And there are other studies done or underway finding that pulsed electromagnetic fields aid in a number of ways.

For 'home use' --
Well, first thing I found was a company that sells magnetic 'wraps' and blankets for horses and pets! Not sure you would want to cough up that kind of money though. Most 'back of the check out line magazines' push fancy arm braces with magnets -- most of those magnets are too weak to get deep into tissues.

If anything, I'd say, get a good wrist/arm brace -- those elastic-y velcro kind.... and get online and buy some nice strong neodymium magnets. Places like www.kjmagnetics.com and www.unitednuclear.com sell stuff from micro magnets for a few cents to ones for 15 bucks or more.

Some 'sellers' show using one big one over the injury... kind of enveloping the entire spot with one giant magnetic field. That might feel like strapping a brick to your arm/wrist. :p Others have those fancy (and expensive) bracelets that interspace magnets with faux gems... pretty but the magnets are too weak.

Since the companies above sell some that are quite small, I suppose you could work up your own 'bracelet' of very strong magnets. I keep wondering if, instead of encircling the wrist; if the magnets should not parallel the tendon... having the fields along the line instead of being sort of perpendicular... since the medical references indicate trying to induce a field or electrical charge along a tendon/bone/muscle directly rather then general area... but that might be due to the medical study and them actually cutting open parts to test and see what happens, etc. NOT anything I'd recommend to the casual 'scientist'.

Read somewhere... can't recall where, that you should always place the 'north pole' toward the skin, so at the least, you need to know which end is 'north'.... and if you buy a VERY cheap compass, you can figure that out pretty fast.

So the 'north' pointing tip of a compass is really attracted to the 'south' charge at the North Pole... weird, right?
Anyway, the compass 'north tip' will zip to the 'south pole' of your magnet... you can then mark them with something permanent so you can keep track of which side is which. (( or pay about $40 for a tool which will tell you which end is 'up' from K & J ))

Certain sites recommend placing north side to the skin on the right arm and south side to skin on the left arm due to certain therapy 'theories' about the magnetic condition of the overall human body. Give it a shot... one mid forearm and one at the wrist... and see how the induced field 'feels' over time. Not saying it's instantaneous but.. many claim relief.

So... uber strong magnetics (not your average Wal-Mart or Radio Shack stuff!
Or, a pulse generator you can build for less then $20 or buy a 'made one' for probably twice that.

If nothing else, it's something to chew over...

• Jedi Initiate H

Thanks Kol, the info has got me thinking.

So the south pole actually id the "magnetic north pole" interesting. It makes sense when you test magnets for there poles...Reminds me of when i learned electrons flow from negative too positive :silly: ...

I was thinking that I would line up the magnets with the tendons like you mentioned as opposed to perpendicular like most brackets. I haven't got the cash at the moment to buy some fancy magnets so I am using what is around my house. I have taped a line of 4 button magnets to my arm north down along my tendon and 2 on the back of my hand behind the index finger knuckle. When I have some time I am going to butcher some tweeter magnets and give your suggestion of one on each arm a go. I was thinking about why the north pole would face down - maybe as the force emanates from there it flows into the tissue area and induces light vibration to stimulate healing, Now that is only based on what is in my head so feel free to shoot me down in flames if need be... :)

Well hopefully the magnets help as i am writing a 1500 word assignment today....

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds