Henry's training Journal

• Jedi Initiate H
  • Jedi Initiate H's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 18

Jedi Initiate H replied the topic: Henry's training Journal

and that Jax, is one of my greatest challenges... My new saying is the will of the universe/Force. I have spent many yrs pushing for things that were not meant to be and not seeing the signs. I am learning to let it go and let things be as they wish.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jedi Initiate H

Today started much like yesterday with waking up naturally at 5.30am (much to my initial displeasure, a sleep in til 6 would be have been good). I completed my meditation after my initial rouse like yesterday and thus far in the day the positive energy that came to me is still hear. Waking up early and meditating never really crossed my mind before I started the Meditation 101 cause. It could actually turn out that a morning meditation is the right time for me to meditate. The energy of my house is also very calm as all the kids and my wife are asleep, so there is no tension like there is at the end of the day (normal tension from a house with 3 young kids). I am super keen to have it become a daily activity but have struggled to make it work thus far. Even if it is 10min there will be benefit.

The early wake up gave me the opportunity to get a 3rd swimming session into this week. So that will take this week’s number of major trainings sessions to 7. I am really feeling the cardio work out from the swimming sessions, capacity is up in 2 and half weeks. My hamstring is feeling better but I don’t want to do any running/sprinting just in case I strain it again. I am going to starting this Thursday start the martial arts training. It will be simple 40min getting moving again. A second body weight session for tonight as well

So my uni results are in and what a result! The effort and focus paid off. If there was ever a reason for Jedi training, there it is. The contributing factors were; meditation to calm and clear the mind, fitness focus, reflection, determination and Jedi ideals. Only 6 months until I finish. Then back full time to the rat race, well that is if I get a job. I will put it out there and see what comes – “let it go”.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Jedi Initiate H

Jedi training update

My physical training is probably the only part of my Jedi training that I have been able to integrate fully into my life. The routine I have established is working wonders with a gain in weight of 2.5kg of muscle over 2-3 weeks. I have hit all sessions that I set out to complete 2 weeks running and think this will continue. Martial art training is limping along. I was not able to start last week as I wanted because my poor daughter was very sick. I aim this week to get a martial arts session in on Thursday.

Force and meditation training is making slow progress. I am aiming for 5x 5-10min mediation sessions per week. The morning meditation seems to be working. It is difficult with a house full of kids with many demands but they do bring a certain unremarkable energy to the house that I would not trade. I have not been keeping with the schedule that I set out for my training of the 2 courses but I have been contemplating them, reflecting on their application and integration into my life.

What has taken the forefront of my mind is reflecting on how being a Jedi will impact my life, how I will achieve it and how it will affect me those around me. I have alluded to this in this training journal and Jax has provided great insights that I have used to gather my thoughts and make sense of it in my mind.

I have in the past rushed into things head strong and at full pace with majority of times resulting in success. Becoming a Jedi has not been any different. The end result in this instance has seen me becoming a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of info and potential that encompasses the Jedi path. It is not normal that I step back as far as I have from something that interests me as much as this, but I have.

The intention is not to leave but to gain perspective of the path, the knowledge to be gained and how to use/integrate practice into my life. The subject matter and knowledge that a Jedi must know excites me to a point where I try to know as much as I can as fast as I can. The result being that I in fact may know less because of over analysis, not enough practice and not enough focus on specifics.

This has been something that has troubled me in the past. Because I have such an expansive mind that can view things from many angles my mind craves information. As good as this can be it takes time to research, analysis and/or to conclude whatever I am working on at the time. This also expands into my many, many, many interests…..which includes becoming a Jedi

So what am I doing? This is a reflection and direction exercise for me. I have been meditating on this as well which has brought results too.

My reflection has been around questions like
• Define Jedi (real life Jedi)
• Why Jedi, why am I embarking on this journey, how long will this journey be.
• What constitutes a Jedi, define their traits?
• Define their competencies, skills and what is required to do/know to meet these
• How do I progress, will I reach a destination, is there a destination.
• How does one learn and even maintain the vast knowledge that is gained in training to be a Jedi
• How does one integrate it into life so it becomes part of life?
• What does further training look like (Jax has started a greatt thread on this)

One key insight that I have gained is that there is no need to rush this as it can and will be a life long journey. As I have mentioned previously, I have been dabbling in Jedi practices (although not referring to them or even knowing that they fall under Jedi practices) for many yrs and becoming a Jedi brings them all together and give focus.

I am also creating a map for myself of all of the different parts of the training here and how they will fit together. It also will list other ideas and thoughts that come into my mind about different training materials, exercises etc so that I do not feel that they are getting lost or get in the way of current training (another idea from Jax). This will hopefully focus my mind.

This all may seem like I am reinventing the wheel which is not my intention at all, in fact I dislike doubling up work with a passion. It is to expand my mind and bring becoming a Jedi truly into my life. There is so much to learn and my life is very full I need this structure to truly enjoy the path.

All of this probably has a lot to do with my personality and the fact that the normal “structured” class room style of learning has never really worked with me.

H

• Thank you received: 1888

Jax replied the topic: Henry's training Journal

You should do whatever works for your brain. We provide a structure but it's only a skeleton. You can build the body into whatever you want. I look forward to seeing what you come up with as a map because I suspect it will be quite interesting. What's funny is my brain is not naturally linear and structured like I structure a class. I spend a lot of time wandering and struggling to make sense of things before I can put it into an order that works for other types of brains. I appreciate structure, but there are just some things that I need to wander through for a while. That's why I've spent a decade specifically on spirituality but can't write a course. lol

Also, don't forget that while you're learning things initially, you can and should revisit topics in later years and see how your understanding has changed, and what new things you get from it. It can be quite fun. :-)

• Jedi Initiate H

Thanks jax,

I aim to write short exercises out as I go so to help remember now and into the future. Even re reading what I have written in the intro course has been interesting.

My physical training has taken a turn for the worst again. Shortly after my last post my shoulder froze up and I could not even reach for the phone on my desk. It has improved a bit but I cant put any weight on it. Every time I talk about starting up martial arts I seem to sustain an injury...interesting

I went to the physo and she said I should take at least a week off. The initial assessment was that I have pinched nerve. Not sure it's right but I'll go with it now.

Light session tomorrow, legs an core. Hope I don't break anything else... ;)

I totally understand how you feel. I tweaked the hell out of my shoulder and learned i have moderately severe tendonitis. Plus I tweaked my ankle and have small bone spurs in my other foot. I feel weaker than when I started. Lol. Just keep going slow and gentle. You'll get there.

If your shoulder doesn't ease off look for another doctor. You need to keep movement in joints. A week or two is ok but don't try to live with it for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please forgive typos

• Jedi Initiate H

What a week. Let's recap

White tale spider bite on Tuesday
Shoulder broke on Wednesday
Major electrical fault in my house that nearly caused a fire on Thursday
Firday night my daughter fell ill with a stomach bug so I looked after her on Friday and Saturday
Sunday was good, my daughter was better and we played outside.
Monday stomach bug hit me at lunch time followed by 24 hrs of vomit sleep routine.
Tuesday (today) woke up at 11.30 exhausted. Still ill but no vomit, yay.

The last week is a simple demonstration of life getting in the way of life.....so many plans all went out of the window. I don't think I will be doing any physical training for at least another week and when I get back into it, it will be slow so I don't hurt myself any more.

On a somewhat brighter side last night Iwas in a great deal of pain and I used meditation to re focus my mind to relax my body as best as possible the reduce the pain. It work really well. I would breath in energy and flow the energy around my body which relaxed my muscles and helped me sleep

H

Ah, those weeks are challenging. It's when you really get to apply what you've learned as a Jedi though. A test of your self control. And a test of your healing ability. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jedi Initiate H

• Jedi Initiate H

So it has been 2 months and 2 days since my last post, time is flying! I thought it was only a month. Anyway I have not gone MIA and still very much focused on the Jedi path.

So what have I been doing - lots of thinking, reflection and physical training.

My PT is going great I am training every day and my fitness as gone up a level thanks to swimming twice a week and there has been know injuries to hold me back :)

I have come through my reflect and direction phase and feel it is now time to get back into it. For me I needed to find a way to integrate being a Jedi into my daily life and a way to ease my mind on how am I going to maintain all the knowledge that is required.

This is what I have written about my way forward. This was never intended to be released but I will to help you get an idea of where my head is at.

My Jedi Journey -

I aim to create a solid understanding in how to be a Jedi in today’s society, how I could use my abilities to benefit others and myself (through self-improvement). Once I have a solid grounding of the basics (of living Jedi taught through JAO and core Jedi skills taught by IJRS) I will move onto more advanced focused studies of the Force and Jedi philosophy (through both Jedi training centres).

Maintaining the many skills a Jedi requires will be a difficult undertaking as time goes on. In the future after my basic Jedi training, maintaining these skills will be possible because I would have gone through the transition of old to new. After One or two yrs of constant practice my body, mind, and spirit will have had time to change old ways into Jedi ways. I will have developed practices and routines that will stay with me as a new way of living and being. By this time I will have written my personal (available to others if they choose) “Jedi Practice Guide” to help me train and retain the multiple skills a Jedi needs to be Jedi (as the saying goes use it or lose it).

After completing my initial Jedi training and with my “Jedi Practice Guide” written I will be able to move onto what I feel is my next level of Jedi training. This phase will include daily practice of Jedi skills so I will retain the skills learned. The practice guide will provide routines and schedules to follow for training.
By living Jedi practice, it will come as second nature. That why it is vital to attempt practice every day to lock in the learning. Really experience it.

There is much more ramblings but that is the essence. I did have to go outside the training of IJRS to find out what others do to live as a Jedi. The courses at IJRS are the best that are available on the net and that is why I joined (along with the atmosphere). However I felt that I needed more guidance on living Jedi and that lead me to Google and to search to see what was out there. I found the Jedi Academy On-line. There focus is on Living Jedi every day and have there own set of courses that focus on that.

Moving forward I would like to study living Jedi and Jedi ways with both groups. IJRS will teach me in depth Knowledge of Jedi skills and JAO will provide a daily structure that my mind needs to get me through it. I really do hope you (Jax and the team at IJRS) do understand as I feel that both places are important to my Journey. I will re visit my PLP soon and think I will put on hold Force 101 until I finish Meditation 101 so I can balance the work load and enjoy the journey once more

The other item that I have been contemplating is how to retain all the knowledge I will be learning now and into the future. That is how I can up with the "Jedi Practice Guide" . I was encouraged to share this at JAO and it would be great to share it here. Here is what the Jedi Practice guide is to me and what I would like to see happen with it over time.

“Jedi Practice Guide”
[/i]

Jedi training is as vast and as it is long. How do we maintain all the information and practices that provide us the skills necessary to be and live like a Jedi? Most people in the world choose study one or two subjects, then focus on and practice diligently to become very skilled in their area. But as Jedi we accept the fact that we must master a great many skills. Enter problematic perishable skills.

The saying “use it or lose it” has been a concern of mine from the very start of my journey to become a Jedi. How does one maintain the vast knowledge and skills required of a Jedi in the most practical and efficient manner. This I believe is one of the most difficult issues for Jedi.

My answer - I aim through my journey to write a simple reference guide as I learn more. The practices will eventually be organised into skill groups to practice as weekly or monthly sets much like a physical training program or can be used as reference material when desired. The aim is not to write a Jedi how too book or replace any training place on the internet just organise my training so I can maintain the many skills I have learned and even pass it to others if they find the practice guide useful to their journey.

To do this I have come up with the idea of a “Jedi Practice Guide”. I wanted to share it with other Jedi as it could also assist them to maintain their skills too. I could have written the practice guide alone and in behind closed doors but that would not be the Jedi way. Also by not sharing the work I would limiting the potential depth of knowledge and practice that is contained within the guide if other Jedi contribute.

What will it look like? The idea is to have short descriptions of relevant practices and guiding notes that a Jedi could use as a memory jogger to assist them to maintain their skills. The concept of a practice guide comes from small format pocket book guides that I have used in working life. They provide short sharp instruction on a particular practice or principle. They do not need to explain the back ground or convince the reader that the principle or practice is of value they just need to have enough information so the use can remember, understand then apply the practice. The practice guide will eventually (as content grows) be structure into sets a Jedi can complete over a period like a week or a month or they can just pick out a practice and do it.

I like to would encourage other Jedi that read this and feel it to be a worthwhile undertaking to participate. You are welcome to comment on any practice, suggest a topic for a practice or even write a practice. I see this becoming an open source project that many can and will contribute to. I ask if you are going to write a practice please use the following headings as a minimum and add any that you feel could benefit. Referencing will be a major component for the guide for two reasons; 1. Proper respect is paid to the Jedi that has provided you the inspiration for the basis of a practice and 2. You and others can if they choose look up the original inspiration or writings for that particular practice. In text references are not necessary just a final reference and please follow the format provided. You are encouraged to reference yourself if you feel that you have created the practice. The reason for uniformity is as the project grows over time it can be easily managed and evolved as necessary.

This is not an overnight project and I will attempt to write one per week. They can always be edited latter for improvement so any ideas are welcome.

Jedi Practice Guide, Practice (insert the next sequential number here)
Practice Name:
Back ground: Provide a brief introduction
Uses & Practice: when would/could you use it and how would you practice it
Outcome: The result, what happens if the practice is successful
Reference:
Web site – Name of author, Title of web site, Title of page, forum post number (if required), Date, URL
Book – Author, Title, Page number, Publisher, Year of publish

I will post the practices in my training journal for other Jedi to comment.

Jedi Initiate H
:meditate

sounds like some great ideas!! I have something to discuss with you when it's not 2 hours past my bedtime. ;-)

Time to create page: 0.606 seconds