Zandom's Training Journal

• Thank you received: 4

zandom created the topic: Zandom's Training Journal

Finally get to start my journal here. Going to try and keep track of everything I do with times and dates.

Today: Once I get done posting here I'm headed out to start my physical fitness for today. I plan on running to my woods where I like to meditate. I find it peaceful out there and its a good place to clear my mind. My plan is to run to the woods, do some meditation, then practice some basic swordplay. I have been reading articles and watching movies on swordplay since I can't find a place around me to learn. I have decided I will try and teach myself. Eventually I plan on having one of my friends train with me so we can practice with each other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

zandom replied the topic: Re: Zandom's Training Journal

I was out a bit longer then I had originally thought I'd be. It felt good to be out in the woods again as its been awhile since I was able to enjoy it fully. When I arrived at my training spot I sat down by the river and calmed my mind and body. I also took time to just observe the many things around me, everything from the trees to the fish in the stream.

I also worked on a couple swordplay techniques. I learned there are six zones to attack and defend. 1. Head 2.Right Arm and side 3. Left Arm and Side 4. Back 5. Right Leg 6. Left Leg. The thing I didn't like was not having a partner to spar with. Hopefully tomorrow I can get my friend to spar with me so I can work a little more with it.

• Thank you received: 81

Taijibum replied the topic: Re: Zandom's Training Journal

Are you trained in fencing or Kendo?

As of right now no, the only training I have is from the military and a little of working in Wu-Shu. Most of what I have is teaching myself, I want to find some place around me so I can learn properly, but since I'm in the middle of nowhere its difficult.

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Zandom's Training Journal

Perhaps, by "Back", you mean torso, since it could either be the chest and belly or the back. Categorizing the body into strike points like that can be helpful for beginners, so use it if it is helpful, but always keep in the back of your mind that it is an artificial classification and you are not actually limited like that.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

I think its useful for knowing where you can block and strike. So if someone strikes your right leg, you would use a right leg block, it makes it simple and easy for me. So beginner stuff :)

So today I finished taking all my exams for college. I ended up getting frustrated with my last exam because I knew I had failed it. I was very upset when I went to wait for my wife to pick me up. I decided to try some of the meditation techniques I was learning from the first meditation class. What I did was found a nice quiet spot that I could sit at. I sat down, straightened my back and relaxed my muscles. I then focused mostly on my breathing, taking slow, deep breaths. After I was able to do that properly I tried clearing my mind, which felt good. I was able to calm myself and release my feelings. There was something that frightened me though. After I had been doing this awhile a gust of wind came by, and I felt like I was being taken away by the wind, almost like my body was the wind and everything around me. It scared me and snapped me back. I didn't realize other people had come by to smoke. I was wondering if anyone else has had experiences like this? Is this normal for meditation or am I doing something wrong?

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Zandom's Training Journal

Things like this are not unusual for beginners and with certain types of meditations. Certain types of meditation are about shutting out stimuli from the outside world and experiencing other worlds, other planes of existence, or even deprivation. This type of experience is called a trance. I don't like to use the word meditation for those experiences since we need a way to differentiate the two. Traditional meditation is about being fully present and aware, but focused and open to the force.

It sounds like you shut off your connection to reality and began having non-"real" experiences. I have much less experience with trances and will rely on others here to advise you of the dangers and benefits. However, if your intent is to meditate, you should continue to work at staying in your environment and aware of it without thinking about it.

If you find yourself in this situation again, just bring your awareness back to your environment and your breath and resume your meditation.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Thank you for this advice, I actually just realized i should have put this post in a meditation journal...

• Thank you received: 1461

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Zandom's Training Journal

That would be a good idea as it than not might get 'lost' here in your training journal.
We even have a dedicated section at the forum for PersonalMeditationJournals.
It might be a good idea for you to start your own thread there and copy your experience and Zen-Ryo Senshi's reply in there as a start.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds